reviewers extraordinaire!

This forum is for reviewees and reviewers and all comers to discuss various aspects of Audiopolis reviews. (contribute at your own risk and be sure to actually DO official AP.org reviews!)

Re: reviewers extraordinaire!

Postby ptalbot » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:06 pm

HUD wrote:for myself, I find there are also backslashes... feedback/improve/practice\get distracted with around the house-family related crap-guitar in cobwebs/blow off cobwebs/ignore screaming old lady/...

There's that as well, for sure! :D
ptalbot

Postby cjdenecia » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:48 pm

steban wrote:Well, I've got to applaud our newest member, Patrick, for already knocking out 36 reviews! And pretty darn good ones at that. .........
you have done what we need most- reviews! Many thanks, and it won't be forgotten.

so stebs beat me to it. I echo many of his thoughts and words. and I can safely say, with now, I think 42 reviews at 10:30 GMT, after just a few days - pat, you've done more to move the songs on the charts than has ever been done in such a short period of time. 2 more songs moved into round 2, a few more have finished round 1 and have reached the end of the line and been put into the done chart, leaving room for other songs to receive reviews and a load more have moved closer to one or the other.

a great job of single-handedly working the system. I only wish you could be repaid immediately with more reviews of your songs but I know you won't be compensated dollar for dollar. at least not nearly as quickly.

but I hope you feel up to continuing on at any pace. thanks. cj
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby ptalbot » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:57 pm

Well thanks both! I quite enjoy listening to all sorts of music and being surprised... and since I've got some time on my hand - can't record this week-end with a big fiesta right under my studio window(!) :( - I'll probably do some more...

BTW: I'm not expecting much reviews, just sharing the music I do is enough.
ptalbot

Postby Krispy » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:18 am

I only wish you could be repaid immediately with more reviews of your songs but I know you won't be compensated dollar for dollar. at least not nearly as quickly.

Unfortunately you arrived at a time when I won't be accessing the net for a week, but I am certainly due for a burst of reviews after that.

But don't expect anything technical from me, I'm the random poetic one. :mrgreen:

Back soon.
To save time, assume I know everything
Krispy

Postby ptalbot » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:29 am

Krispy wrote:Unfortunately you arrived at a time when I won't be accessing the net for a week, but I am certainly due for a burst of reviews after that.

But don't expect anything technical from me, I'm the random poetic one. :mrgreen:

Back soon.

That's fine Krispy! That will be a nice change for me... give me some random poesy! ;)
ptalbot

Postby cjdenecia » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:47 pm

pat,

with you now totally 130 reviews and counting - you have done already what no one, I repeat NO ONE, not me, not stebs - NO ONE else has done. you have blown the doors off the system. single handedly moving the charts and completely rounds and sending songs into second round status - all in just over a week.

massive congrats and even bigger thanks. I think we're gonna eventually have reviewer awards and one of them is gonna be named after you.

but the thing is, not only have you done the basic reviews, but you've offered up great critiques, especially about production but more importantly, I've watched the quick metamorphosis from you doing the reviews very much like you'd do them at your other review forum to a more audiopolis based text review where you've started to mix your technical side with a bit more of your likes, dislikes and gut feelings about the songs themselves. your preferences and how the songs effected you. or is it 'affected'? anyway - that's great, you've caught on with the same speed as your reviews. tho even if you hadn't gone a bit more into the "feeling" aspect of things - you'd have still be a breath of fresh air and a boon to our system. it's just that this newer fashion you've sorta taken on is so much more comprehensive and will mean more to the reviewee.

just great. fabulous. really.

a sincere thank you is in order from me, from the development team (I believe gregg has already said so much in another post elsewhere) and from the community at large (which will hate me speaking for them).

stebs said somewhere that you get some sort of seat on the city council or whatever the hell he was going on about and tho I don't know if it'll ever come to pass in that fashion, if it does - you deserve it.

are you 1/5th of quintuplets? if so, can your siblings join us?

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby ptalbot » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:57 pm

cjdenecia wrote:are you 1/5th of quintuplets? if so, can your siblings join us?

Ah ah! No! I'm afraid it's just me!
Although I invited a friend to join and she did (on the strength of a couple of songs :)).

BTW, for the sake of it and to be taken as constructive criticism, here's what she told me in private about the site:
I've signed up to the site but... it seems very counter-intuitive and hard to understand. Plus I tried to do my first review and the tracks froze, which may be my silly internet but the two choices that I had a brief listen to were hard work... I’ll persevere coz I’m interested in the concept of the site but it does feel a bit like Sleepy Hollow

Then later, when I sent her a message on the forum PM and she couldn't reply:
that forum is very tricky... I couldn't see where to reply to your pm... I mean.. how dumb is that???

As to me doing tons of reviews, I suppose I got caught up in the review game... It's very different from what I had done elsewhere but fun nonetheless.
I really like the surprise and I had time on my hands lately, being in between songs, and not really inspired ATM to be honest.
So I might go and do some more this week-end again... stay tuned!
ptalbot

Postby cjdenecia » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:23 am

ptalbot wrote:BTW, for the sake of it and to be taken as constructive criticism, here's what she told me in private about the site:
I've signed up to the site but... it seems very counter-intuitive and hard to understand. Plus I tried to do my first review and the tracks froze, which may be my silly internet but the two choices that I had a brief listen to were hard work... I’ll persevere coz I’m interested in the concept of the site but it does feel a bit like Sleepy Hollow

the thing is, and I know it's asking a lot, saying it's counter intuitive doesn't tell us much. if she could simply state which aspects gave her trouble, that would be a good starting point for us to look at the specifics. again, we all have been here since day one and what to us seems simple and cut and dried might not to new folk. I know that but we can't address what we don't recognize. we are starved for this sort of information so we might make the interface more friendly across the board.

Then later, when I sent her a message on the forum PM and she couldn't reply:
that forum is very tricky... I couldn't see where to reply to your pm... I mean.. how dumb is that???

now, here is where I get lost .... she is on the forum, I see that. if she got a forum PM, the sendreply button is right there at the top of the page. unless, she tried to read and reply before I opened her account as "active" - in which case she might have been restricted, dunno, haven't looked at that.

but otherwise, the forum is the same basic php format used across the net.with nearly nothing changed on the template.

I dunno, all of this is making me think that we maybe need to remove the restrictions but add hoops for registration. extra measures to insure real people who are interested in the site and not spamming are calling .... I dunno. maybe new users just need to have a bit more patience. I recall that TAXI, which is arguably a huge forum, uses big restrictions prior to giving out complete forum rights and permissions. I do keep a close watch and generally approve obvious interested parties in a very short time span. even when I'm on vacation ...

I hope she feels compelled to try again ....

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby ptalbot » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:59 am

This is the same basic time out that I experience at first.
It took about 24 to 48 hours for me to be able to reply to a PM that someone had sent me.
I really thing this is unnecessary...
If someone is abusing the system, members should be able to report that and then you can intervene, but remove these beforehand limitations as they are felt as a rebuttal by newbies.
ptalbot

Postby cjdenecia » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:25 am

ptalbot wrote:This is the same basic time out that I experience at first.
It took about 24 to 48 hours for me to be able to reply to a PM that someone had sent me.
I really thing this is unnecessary...
If someone is abusing the system, members should be able to report that and then you can intervene, but remove these beforehand limitations as they are felt as a rebuttal by newbies.

I think I have change the setting so newly registered members can deal with private messages as anyone can. wide open.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby ptalbot » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:56 am

Cool. Thanks cj!
I know this could mean more work for you (although I doubt it will make a difference ATM) but let's see how it goes, right?
ptalbot

Postby Ailwyn Rees » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:58 pm

cjdenecia wrote:we wanna make sure we stress our appreciation for every review that hits the pages of audiopolis!

thus far, we've pretty much monitored every single review that's been written and to be completely honest, we're incredibly impressed and thrilled with how well each and every one has been thought out and expressed. there's obviously a wide range of styles going on but each has it's place in the big picture and ya'll are completely leading the way by example.

we've seen some one-liners and some 1000 word worders. we've seen some that deal with strictly the way a song made a reviewer feel and some that deal with more technical aspects. we've seen some creative piss-taking and some wonderful tongue in cheek realities. we've seen some that speak in terms of comparative analysis and some that are simply from another bizzaro universe!

and they're all golden!

we definitely wanna continue to promote individualism in reviews. we wanna stress that there are very few real right ways and in turn, very few wrong ways.

we're seeing some pretty disparate reviewer ratings but it is important to note, the difference between a RR of 60 and 107 is subjective and the truth is, not nearly as much of a barometer of worth as it appears. it is now and will probably always be that we think any RR above 60 is great. let's really keep in mind that in the big picture, the reviewer ratings are simply numbers and the number of actual reviews are the most important number we have. in the end, it'll be what is most literally rewarded.

the bottom line is that we're incredibly pleased with EVERY review thus far. ya'll are leading the way with individual leanings that will be the litmus for all future audiorefugees reviewing on audiopolis! please keep it up.

Still grateful for all those reviewers?
...and then there were none...
Ailwyn Rees

Previous

Return to Audiopolis Reviews Discussions (Waggers and slaggers)