[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4554: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4556: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4557: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4558: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
Audio Refugees • View topic - Johnny Can't Drive

Johnny Can't Drive

The old AudioRefugee Review Forum - where we kept the fire burning for a few years while we were building the Audiopolis Review System and website.

Johnny Can't Drive

Postby steban » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:39 pm

I posted the original rip from an old CD in the other thread, but this is a newly treated mix. For some reason I had lost a lot of the high in the original....

Truth is the original recordings were not very good nor mixed well in the end. I am surprised I can reconstruct it as well as this. Imagine what pros can do!

Also I don't like to mix songs in the same thread, just got carried away.

Johnny Can't Drive.mp3
(5.45 MiB) Downloaded 266 times

I am considering just adding some real guitar on top. Anybody want to try?
steban

Re: Johnny Can't Drive

Postby cjdenecia » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:30 am

you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby steban » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:37 am

I did everything.

This was 2001-2, and it is all midi, and I only have wavs now...

It was new software and I was just getting into it. So this first song introduces the character Johnny, who perhaps is the wayward youth, who has the job interview, who is seen 25 years later at the high school reunion, the one who did not become the superstar.

I thought it was better than say a video game ace.
steban

Postby cjdenecia » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:37 am

you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby steban » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:00 am

steban

Postby Steve Ison » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:20 pm

This is a cool song-A strange mix of 50s teen melodrama,punk n 60s garagy prog-all put thru an 80s synth blender..
I like your musical ambition and the unusual but intuitive melody n odd changes...
I think a part of the appeal of your stuff is that i really like your voice too..
The beginning signature guitar riff is really neat-70s epic pop/rock-and that sudden one note low banging synth riff i really like too
The constant random crashes become abit wearing..
I think a part of me likes the fluidity of this that i can't quite put my finger on-but a part of me wants it to be more organised structurally too..

Like the last one,i really appreciate the creative ambition-I dig your kinda untrained arty pretentiousness-its no bad thing to have- and even tho its got some flaws-like the way it sort of meanders out at the end-and the sometimes ultra-chaotic sound-there's a kinda transcendent feel to it and obvious creative spirit i really like.. 8-)
Keepin' it unreal
Steve Ison

Postby Jay » Sun May 01, 2011 6:33 am

Ya wanna know the #1 worst thing about 80s music? Synths. They went from being an interesting color that could be incorporated into a whole arrangement to the only color in the arrangement. They dehumanized music. Ya wanna know the #2 worst thing about 80s music? Reverb. Everything f***ing drowned in it. Stebs, I like your stuff so much better when you don't drown it in reverb. This tune has the possibility of being interesting, and I can even live with the 80s synths since you made an effort to really mix up the timbres/parts. But, man, the verb is just cavernous and washes everything away.
Prunes!
Jay

Postby Krispy » Sun May 01, 2011 8:32 am

To save time, assume I know everything
Krispy

Postby steban » Wed May 04, 2011 2:21 pm

Thanks all for the insightful comments, I've been getting ready for my trip and have not gotten around to responding much.

Will have more to say soon.
steban

Return to REVIEWS! (Pre-Audiopolis Review System Days)