[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4554: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4556: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4557: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4558: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
Audio Refugees • View topic - All The Way To My Love

All The Way To My Love

The old AudioRefugee Review Forum - where we kept the fire burning for a few years while we were building the Audiopolis Review System and website.

All The Way To My Love

Postby Steve Ison » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:07 pm

Track i did just over a year ago when i was living at my ex girlfriends on my old roland box when she was out for the evening..
She posted to me and i thought i'd share
All comments good,bad and indifferent appreciated
all the way to my love audio mixdown.mp3
(5.04 MiB) Downloaded 285 times
Keepin' it unreal
Steve Ison

Re: All The Way To My Love

Postby Krispy » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:17 pm

Sounds like a preview from the forthcoming album Lson unplugged - the back room sessions.
It's really quite charming. Doesn't mess about or get self-indulgent, and has a certain urgency. Shows a knowledge of ebb and flow.
Lovin' the chord choices in the bridge - perfectly reflecting the lyrical mood - very Long and Winding Road. Odds-on someone was gonna make a McLennon reference, so it might as well be me. :D
I like the fact that it apparently hasn't been tidied, emotionally or mechanically. The 'live' feel gives it a kind of pulse, quietly picked up by the bass.
Rather a tender-hearted, reflective song, but delivered with a mix of supplication and slight desperation. Definitely stands as a tune without augmentation.
To save time, assume I know everything
Krispy

Postby Jay » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:13 pm

An unmistakably Ison tune. Really nice. I see no point in production/engineering comments as this is obviously a bare bones, raw recording; the song actually works pretty well with this treatment.

Not much to say here; it's like I said in that other thread: when it's good, there ain't much to say. You've created a really nice melody and lyric that work very well together. Your late-'60s/early-'70s aesthetic is evident here. Talk about short but sweet; I appreciate just making your point and getting out, but this tune almost makes me feel short-changed because you create a really nice mood, and I want that mood to last a bit longer than 2 mins 12 secs... and, no, clicking "repeat" just isn't the same. :)

So, I'm wondering if you posted this to prove your point about "the song". It's a great song, man, and it's apparent without any flashy production. That said, it really does merit a fleshed-out arrangement that serves the beauty of the melody and lyric. I hear so many options for an arrangement that could heighten the mood you've created. I get the impression you don't intend to re-record the stuff you post, but I sure wish you would redo some of your more spartan tunes because I think you could broaden your audience.

Really lovely tune that I'll undoubtedly be revisiting.
Prunes!
Jay

Postby cjdenecia » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:45 am

honestly - at the first few listens, I felt very shortchanged and rushed into liking something I dug. like it was a song made up of soundbytes properly pasted together. no room for parts to develop before jumping to the next ... it bugged me. and made me dislike it. cus you never gave me the chance to appreciate it before you moved on.

on the production ... obviously, it's shit. in every way sonically. no justice. no love. (not quite fair of me actually cus with just a little work, it could be cleaned up pretty nicely for a low fi indie approach)

performance .... well - it's a bit raw but your talent doesn't allow you to sound anything less than good. you know the song and you hit it. and you have the chops to pull it off.

arrangement and instrumentation ... strong while barren. works like this but there's no arguing with jay. the possibilities for making the song so much more are there. even if, it remained sparse. song arrangement ... never thought I'd say this but you bring the chorus and hook in too quickly. the second verse layout would be better served as the first verse and the first verse - second. it's too quick to the chorus and makes the outro seem so much longer than it is cus it needs to be spread out over the life of the song. now it's like binge drinking ... a little teasing with some quick beers, some shots and then some solid food ... some more beers, a good number of rounds of shots, loads more beers than it's time to pass out and sleep.

not really a great evening. mostly cus you passed out so quick that people painted shit on your face and stuck bananas and cucumbers into places that proved embarrassing when the pix hit the internet.

as kim mentioned, the bridge was vintage mclennon but needed to be exploited or highlighted later. like made made into an AB/ABC/ABC arrangement or simply AB/AB/ABC/AB arangement with an emphasis on extending C.

melodically - not super adventurous but solid. just enough variation to all sections to say it was diverse but nobody is ever gonna say you were one to venture out of your comfort zone. luckily, you live well where you live.

lyrically .... great flow. I find the 4 stanzas of the chorus to be a bit much on it's own and it warrants backing vocals creatively placed to allow it to be as redundant as it is but otherwise, it's pleasant. not really hearing anything there that is saying anything special but I'm not real needy in that regard. luckily cus when looking at it from a strictly lyrical perspective, it's not incredibly deep nor moving. some nice dolor but just not anything that would move the world.

the song has absolutely great prospects. and as is - is sufficient enough to be enjoyed for what it is. but it could be a whole lot more. currently, I'm shortchanged. a bit ripped off like the teaser promised more and the movie didn't deliver. pretty easy to fix cus the parts are all there and it just needs a puzzle expert to help find the few missing pieces.

lord, you need a focused collaborator that can lead you down the right path ... somebody to say "NO, that's good but try this".

or maybe if you accessed you inner demon more often?
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby Steve Ison » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:52 pm

Keepin' it unreal
Steve Ison

Postby Krispy » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:12 am

Krispy

Postby Steve Ison » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:17 pm

Keepin' it unreal
Steve Ison

Postby Krispy » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:52 pm

Krispy

Postby mistertroll » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:10 am

Pleasant tune, what I'd call rainy day music.

I can definitely hear the Beatleish influence. Nice nuances in the melody.

First listen, I thought it ended a little too abruptly, but wasn't so bothered by it on later listens, perhaps because I knew it was coming. Tasteful instrumentation, well supportive without trying to get fancy.

Got three listens out of me, and I expect the tune will be rattling around in my head tomorrow.
Keep your booger hook off the bang switch and nobody gets hurt.

mistertroll

Postby slywitt » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:34 pm

It's a nice tune, Steve. Obviously a rough demo, but surely something I'd enjoy hearing you play in the living room live. It begs for fleshing out. It seems to me that you already hear the parts in your head, as you seem to be playing off of them a bit.

I was just saying to my wife yesterday that I wish I had your voice. I'd been having trouble singing a vocal line, and I could "hear" your voice carrying the melody where I couldn't. I ALWAYS enjoy hearing you sing but you also keep bringing well crafted tunes to the table.

Like I'm sure you hear often, it has a 60's sensibility, and to me that's a good thing.

I hope to hear this fleshed out some more... it will be awesome.
Orationem pulchram non habens, scribo ista linea in lingua Latina
slywitt

Postby Peevette » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:01 pm

Sorry it has taken me so long to get to this....

But anyway....here goes my $0.02. US

First listen, it wasn't what I would have expected to hear. I should not have predetermined your style before hearing the tune.....didn't come in with an open mind.

Onto the second and third listen....

This song is beautiful, Steve, even in this raw form. Your talent shines as I listen. There is, however, a ton of room to add more instrumentation, turning you're song into a gem!!

I hate to do this, making me appear lazy, but, cj's recommendations are spot on. Doesn't seem necessary to repeat what he said, n'est pas?

Thanks for sharing....
Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
Peevette

Postby steban » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:49 am

I find it so crafted as is to be this lost Beatles/Kinks retro classic, one of those studio tapes, just capturing a moment, and this is it, Steve.

But I love how organized the melody is, and somehow how your note on singing "All" is on top of the chord, and yet it makes perfect sense. That part is the most surprising of the vocal melody, to me anyway.

But the rest of the vocal melody is full of delicate emotions, and I see the stage lights come up as the blue of the morning sun verse begins so optimistically.

The delivery of breakin', achin' is spot on, for me this a romantic song, poignantly sweet.

The piano/string sound with the brilliant bass guitar line is simply unimprovable. The touch of brass also so tasteful. If you could somehow crystallize the production and up the ante on the arrangement, you would never surpass this version. This will be the one all others will aspire to be. And as Jay and others say, it is so you.
steban

Postby slywitt » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:37 am

I've been thinking about this tune a lot since I wrote my bit. I don't think I did it justice and since I can't edit, I'm going to try and fix my earlier post here. It's a wonderful song. The part of my earlier post that bothers me is the 'live in the living room' comment. I'd enjoy hearing this 'live' anywhere. It's a song that stands on it's own and your delivery, as usual, is wonderful.

...although it would be real cool to hear it 'fleshed' out.
Orationem pulchram non habens, scribo ista linea in lingua Latina
slywitt

Postby Steve Soucy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:34 am

I would rather hear the vocals a little louder. I think the title is interesting, but happens too often for me. Melody is very cool.

It would be really fun to hear a bigger sounding version of this song.
I hope you do.

When a train goes through a tunnel and it gets dark, you don't throw away the ticket and jump off. You sit still and trust the engineer.

~ Corrie Ten Boom
Steve Soucy

Postby HUD » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:49 pm

Another Fab melody from SteveIson, for sure.
I would agree with the Sauce that as we're hearing it now, the title line seems overly repeated. The way to make this seem less repetitious would be to put some vocal and/or instrumental arrangement, building and breakdown, countermelody around it. It ain't like there's much lyrically going on with "Hello Goodbye" either, but all the other "stuff" kept it interesting. This actually reminds me of a Lennon performance begging for some flourishes of Paul.
As this currently sits, it's nice little unplugged demo that definitely conveys quality writing and decent but not primetime performance ready vocals or keys. If you wanted to go the solo singer songwriter route with this, it's about 80% there, and would need more variation of dynamics, rhythms, and do more than plunking piano chords.
This could definitely go a couple ways. Love the chord progressions here.
As I returned across the lands I'd known
I recognized the fields where I'd once played
I had to stop in my tracks for fear
Of walking on the mines I'd laid
HUD

Next

Return to REVIEWS! (Pre-Audiopolis Review System Days)