[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4554: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4556: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4557: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4558: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
Audio Refugees • View topic - Video on a Budget Not Freeware Wish List

Video on a Budget Not Freeware Wish List

Tested & Approved. Gear that makes the cut. Recommend or inquire. If you wanna use it, chances are, somebody has abused it.

Video on a Budget Not Freeware Wish List

Postby steban » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:23 pm

You have probably seen my 3 videos on youtube. They were made with all freeware and an old webcam, and the limitations are visible.

But I have been looking at the available options, and in my opinion what can be achieved in the lighter versions can be really good.

So here is what I want-

$84 Sony Vegas Music Studio HD Platinum 10 Production Suite
This has a lot of cool features including green screen, cartoon effect, and a great software package including Soundforge

$69 Wacom Bamboo Pen & Tablet CTL460
The Corel Essentials 4 painting software that comes with this is crazy. The pad has a touch sensitivity so you can zoom
and do all sorts of things like rotate with hand motions

$69 Creative Vado HD
It allows some quick HD video recording in a pocket digital camera

$20 5 X 7 Green Screen
It would be cool to have this, maybe bigger.

With just $250 one can get a lot of cool tools and be in the HD video making crowd. The smaller video format is obsolete even if cheaper.

This is more PC in mind, which also brings the next issue up- video editing loves super fast lots of memory PCs and good video cards. But on a budget a newish PC will probably chug along.

Oh, I'll probably make more videos with the freeware , which is fine. We have to learn a few tricks, then learn to think video. I am sure not every musician is going to be interested in dreaming up videos, it is hard enough to dream up the songs!

But some of us might enjoy trying!
steban

Re: Video on a Budget Not Freeware Wish List

Postby Mark Kaufman » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:32 pm

Cool info, Stebs. I appreciate it because I've been thinking about the same sort of thing. Look forward to researching some of these.
Mark Kaufman

Postby zxyz » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:37 am

Is there an easy way to do green-screen; say, vid yourself playing your instrument and just drag-n'-drop another vid of whatever in behind you? That'd be cool. 8-)
zxyz

Location: Way out there somewhere ... maybe a parallel universe or something somewhat similar ..

Postby icararse » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:31 am

Good of you to share your research Stebs!

I too am getting involved in this,just for fun,my Video partner has given me some technical tips but other than that I,m on my own.

I have a little Flip Cam and IMovie 8 and I've done a couple of fun little ditties.

Just to prove I am dedicated to my art,I drove out to a power station miles from where I live,it was cold,dark and raining,perfect mood for my Factory tune,took half an hour of spooky and sinister footage,drove back home to start editing and when I put it on the computer you couldn't see a thing,it was too dark!!!!!!

My Vid partner thought it was hilarious when I told him and he said,"leave it to the professionals boy"

But no,why should I?

It's fun.

Check out some Mac freeware next Stebs!
:love: :love: :love:
Professional Wankmeister
icararse

Postby steban » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:05 am

Well, I done bought the Vado HD. It's like the Flip, ikky, just cheaper- I paid $51 on eBay including tax/shipping. You've got the right idea, but we probably have to be mindful of the light. It is most likely you could film in the daytime and use effects to make it look night better. The same with shadows on green screen, due to uneven lighting. I am thinking I might try filming outdoors with sunlight.

And z, the green screen is the reason I am attracted to the Sony Vegas. I did it with freeware on cadillac, and it was not friendly. But I have seen youtube tutorial with sony and it is very cool! If we all got the green screen, we could collab in videos as well!

You will save some money by going the cheapest version, which will still do the green screen, but it won't have some nice and useful effects.

I've already got my next video idea and it involves Star Trek and sombreros. I really can't discuss it with my wife, she'll think I'm losing it even more.
steban

Postby Jay » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:40 am

I have the Vado, too, and like it. The controls kinda bug me, but the quality of the video & sound are surprisingly good.
Prunes!
Jay

Postby zxyz » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:52 pm

zxyz

Location: Way out there somewhere ... maybe a parallel universe or something somewhat similar ..

Postby steban » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:14 pm

Well, you have seen the sombrero and the Star Trek shirt.

I just got my 9X10 chromakey green screen and my Vado HD 2nd Gen (the first generation I had bought originally did not work).

I wish I were a little bit richer!

Anyway, my plan is to download the Sony Vegas trial version. Good for a month, long enough for me to create my first video, and it will give me a chance to evaluate the software, which sounds great on the web.

There is no doubt I am an amateur videographer, but therein lies the rub, with today's level of tools I might be able to fake it, especially if I hit on some interesting ideas.
steban

Postby zxyz » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:06 pm

:thumb: Go Dude, Go ! It used to be blue-screen, right ..? Wonder why they changed it.. n/m , i could always goggle it .. but YEAH .. again, can't wait to see it! You got soundtrack tunes lined-up?
I always wanted to make a movie..
zxyz

Postby steban » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:24 pm

In truth, zxyz, they use blue, green, and sometimes black or other colors, depending on what contrasts best with the foreground. I think green is generally good.

Well, it will be good for us all to see what works and how good it comes out.
steban

Postby zxyz » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:47 am

So, when do we get to see it Stebs?
zxyz

Postby cjdenecia » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:58 am

you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby steban » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:53 am

The new Vado came, and it works! But I will probably not have time until this weekend to begin.

I don't intend to obsess over it, z, but my goal is to finish in one month from the day I get Sony Vegas.

In the meantime, cj, I do plan to storyboard the video, and I plan to get a specific series of shots.
steban

Postby cjdenecia » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:12 am

you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby steban » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:56 am

How about I experiment with my own idea first, ceej. I am not sure how it will go down, video making. If I don't enjoy the process, if there isn't a proper artistic payoff, I may let it go. On the other hand, I may have many happy epiphanies. I think I would be more willing to help flesh out someone's video idea for their song, not necessarily dream the whole video part up.

But I have a lot of songs, too, and many are quite vivid stories. I can see I Miss Pluto as an easy and fun video, and then there is Tinted Windows. I could do 2 chairs in a forest, my dogs will star for sure, and I might get some cool squirrel shots. Metal Detector would require actors, but it would be a slick story. Premature Celebration, or even Snowball Fightin', yet to be remade as music, but it could be an entertaining video. I might have to go where there is snow, though, unless I can master the greenscreen...

In the future we might all have greenscreen setups, allowing us to send each other our selves to be edited into our collab song video. I also can see the Kinect, or another game platform interface that reads body motion, to be able to control avatars like in Avatar and record on a greenscreen for incredible animations from the desktop for cheap.

But I get ahead. One at a time.
steban

Next

Return to Gear