[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4554: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4556: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4557: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4558: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
Audio Refugees • View topic - Monitors

Monitors

Tested & Approved. Gear that makes the cut. Recommend or inquire. If you wanna use it, chances are, somebody has abused it.

Re: Monitors

Postby charvie » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:03 pm

Great info everyone, thanks. Looks like I may go with a pair of cans.
Light a man a fire and he's warm for a night, set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life
charvie

Postby Stevo » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:37 pm

Stevo

Postby jaymz » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:31 pm

Take that! Hatless!
jaymz

Postby Stevo » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:52 pm

Stevo

Postby Mark Kaufman » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:55 pm

But if you look about, you'll find Grados get pretty high marks anyway...same with Beyerdynamic.
Mark Kaufman

Postby cjdenecia » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:21 am

personally, cus I don't have a studio - and even back in florida, didn't really - just a room with good acoustics, I actually suggest 3 different sets of cans. yeah, I too, like cans. but you can cover a lot of different sound systems and speakers with 3 completely different headphone types. one cheap set (for crap speaker representation), one intermediate set (for 90% of the possible systems) and something completely pro spec'd across the frequency response board. (those being completely closed, get your low bass sound from the intermediates)

check your sound in a cheap mini-stereo, the computer speakers, your car, an audiophile stereo and speakers, a home theatre surround sound setup and an mp3 player or phone. most of us don't have the talents or equipment or knowledge to make sound that works in all those environments and setups but if you only fail on cheap equipment, that's pretty good for todays world. or you could mix for cheap systems and suffer mud on better systems.

then again, if I did have a studio, for sure, I'd have at least 3 sets of monitors. some low volume flat response types, some PA based loud as shit nearly road worthy cabs and horns and a bose or similar stereo set. but I'd always go back to my headphones ...

but to be honest, I know a guy back in florida who does it all with shitty built in laptop speakers and either he's the luckiest SOB that ever lived or he has great instincts cus his mixes always seem to sound pretty damn good. so obviously, it's up to the engineer and what he knows.
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby charvie » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:06 am

Really good advice there man, I'm going to dump a little cash into a set of cans this weekend, i'll review what I get. ;)
Light a man a fire and he's warm for a night, set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life
charvie

Postby Chris K. » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:52 pm

I went and bought a new set of cans ... Audio-technica ATH-M45 ... $100 ... best set of cans under $200 I've ever owned.

...designed specifically for professional studio monitoring... circumaural earpieces that can be rotated 180 degrees to permit one-ear monitoring. Field-serviceable design permits quick, easy replacement of the cable, drivers and ear pads.

Features:

* Flat, extended frequency response for mixing/monitoring
* Field-replaceable cables, drivers, and ear pads
* 1,600 mW of power handling, high SPL capability
* 40 mm diameter drivers, neodymium magnets, and CCAW voice coils
* OFC litz wire cables, convenient one-side exit
* Rotating earpieces for easy one-ear monitoring

Specifications:

* Type: Close-back dynamic
* Driver diameter: 1.57" (40 mm)
* Magnet: Neodymium
* Voice coil: CCAW (Copper-clad aluminum wire)
* Frequency response: 5 - 28,000 Hz
* Maximum input power: 1,600 mw at 1 khz
* Sensitivity (1 mW): 100 db
* Impedance: 60 ohms
* Weight: 8.8oz (250 g) without cable and connector
* Cable: 11' (3.35 m) OFC litz wire, left-side entry
* Connector: 1/8" (3.5 mm) with screw-on 1/4" (6.3 mm) adapter
Chris K.

Postby Steve Soucy » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:38 pm

I use Sennheiser 280 pros. There was a long discussion on Taxi about gear, and it seemed tons of people were using these. I love them, they've been great for 5 years. Everything else I've ever bought (including Sony's) cacked way too soon.

http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/senn ... 35462.html

When a train goes through a tunnel and it gets dark, you don't throw away the ticket and jump off. You sit still and trust the engineer.

~ Corrie Ten Boom
Steve Soucy

Postby Chris K. » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:48 pm

look like they have about the same basic specs too ... I like the ATs becasue I can replace drivers, cables and ear pieces in the field if I need to ... which is a bonus for me cuz most of what I use them for is in the field ... so an extra cable and a couple of spare drivers in the tool box and I'm good to go
Chris K.

Postby Liquidirt » Fri May 28, 2010 4:04 am

If you are using monitors for mixing and mastering, do it at a LOW level, you'll be surprised at the results without buying too expensive speakers. Now if you prefer headphones, that's a different story, but still do it a LOW volume level.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer."
Liquidirt

Postby Diki Black » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:17 am

I'm still using those ESI nEar 05 's and I have no complaints with them, I know them and am reluctant to buy new monitors for many reasons.
I suppose my number one reason would be that I'm in an open basement, so beyond any treatment,mixing is not my set up here just guitar friendy stuff.

If I was to buy new monitors ...hmmmm ?

With a budget of under $ 1000 US
I'd audition the following
Mackie mr8..or
Mackie HR624 MK2
Yamaha HS80M
KRK VXT6
Used I'd buy a pair of Genelec 1029's
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools" -Ernest Hemingway
Diki Black

Postby Jay » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:46 am

Prunes!
Jay

Postby Diki Black » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:43 am

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools" -Ernest Hemingway
Diki Black

Postby Buddy » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:05 am

Steve I am also using Sennheiser 280 pros. Been using them for about 6 yrs now. And Stevo I am using Event TR 5's They ROCK been using those for about 8 yrs now.
Buddy

Previous

Return to Gear