Offensive Reviews

This forum is for reviewees and reviewers and all comers to discuss various aspects of Audiopolis reviews. (contribute at your own risk and be sure to actually DO official AP.org reviews!)

Offensive Reviews

Postby Ailwyn Rees » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:31 pm

Ok, I accept constructive criticisms of songs that I have uploaded onto Audiopolis, but when a reviewer suggests that the singer is replaced, it's totally unacceptable! We independent musicians strive hard, and we don't wish to receive a kick in the teeth from a reviewer who could perhaps be a little more constructive with their feedback :mad: :chainsaw:
If you've had a review recently just savour the moment!!!
Ailwyn Rees

Re: Offensive Reviews

Postby Krispy » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:45 am

Which review is it Ailwyn?
If it's the one I'm looking at then it's not saying that.
To save time, assume I know everything
Krispy

Postby Ailwyn Rees » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:07 pm

Hi Kim,

It's "Under the Sun", by "decoblues", in which the reviewer writes "It could have been better if there were a better singer doing it."

I suppose it's a question of how you interpret what is written? Rich's vocals have been subject to a lot of constructive criticism on this site, and we have taken note of these opinions whilst recording our latest album, like for example, bring him up 4db, he can make more use of his voice, come out of the comfort zone, etc. I just feel that the above comment simply doesn't wash with me!
Ailwyn Rees

Postby cjdenecia » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:55 pm

Ailwyn Rees wrote:Hi Kim,

It's "Under the Sun", by "decoblues", in which the reviewer writes "It could have been better if there were a better singer doing it."

I suppose it's a question of how you interpret what is written? Rich's vocals have been subject to a lot of constructive criticism on this site, and we have taken note of these opinions whilst recording our latest album, like for example, bring him up 4db, he can make more use of his voice, come out of the comfort zone, etc. I just feel that the above comment simply doesn't wash with me!

it's understandable that one might defend their singer, if not oneself if that were the case in this instance but .... it isn't offensive at all ailwyn. it's his opinion and it's credible. it's certainly not a particularly enjoyable statement but it's the sort of comment we singers get frequently. even at the top - how many people came down on the roth vs hagar battles? how many people have claimed jagger can't sing or for that matter that elvis didn't fit a particular song well?

hell, just recently, pat told me in review that I didn't have the right voice for a song I wrote and that kim should have sung the whole song instead of being half a duet. he was sorta wrong in that without my voice, the song wouldn't exist to begin with but then again - it's a fair judgment on pats part.

frankly, I wouldn't give it a second thought if you have faith in rich. which you obviously do, and should. but there have been times in the past where I know I've criticized him harshly because of aspects of his vocals that I didn't think were doing the part or song its finest justice.
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby Ailwyn Rees » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:17 pm

Likewise, mine's an opinion too!

Lets hope that the next batch of uploads get slightly better reviews.

I respect your opinions CJ and Krispy, and Mr Decablues, and I'll continue to enjoy the site; what it stands for and offers. Could have been worse... The Bassist could have been slated!

Keep on rockin', all of you,

Ailwyn
Ailwyn Rees

Postby Krispy » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:35 am

Ailwyn Rees wrote:Hi Kim,

I agree it's not very constructive, but still just someone sayin' something. He's only jealous 'cos Rich sounds like Hugh Cornwell.
Give a thought to the long-suffering Stebs, who has had people say his songs would be better if there was a different person doing them. :mrgreen:
To save time, assume I know everything
Krispy

Postby ptalbot » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:24 pm

Yeah, I don't think you should take it too badly.
Offensive would have been something like: "fire that no good singer" which is not what was said.

He's entitled to think that another singer with another tone would have fit the song better... in the end, that's just an opinion, and you are the one calling the shots on your own music.
You will never be universal, however hard you try, so take from criticisms whatever you think can help you improve and build your own style/vision.
Just forget the rest... it's a taste thing.

I'm often said that my songs would be better with a better singer, and I usually agree, because I'm no singer myself and I know that it's the weakest part of what I do... but on some occasions, some of these songs are too personal for anyone else to sing it, so I would not agree with it.
ptalbot

Postby Ailwyn Rees » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:20 am

Things could be a lot worse for us Frontliners... I could be singing the songs! :rock:

Thanks for the advice and support Pat, CJ & Krispy..., and Mr Decablues, I retract my "offensive" remark :D

Ailwyn ;)
Ailwyn Rees

Postby nunani » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:44 pm

Something worse than offensive reviews or reviewers, is the fake music critic who is haunting the place lately.
losing signal...-.::_signal amps ready to engage.-:__
nunani

Postby cjdenecia » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:02 am

nunani wrote:Something worse than offensive reviews or reviewers, is the fake music critic who is haunting the place lately.

and who might that be?

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby nunani » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:02 pm

cjdenecia wrote:
nunani wrote:Something worse than offensive reviews or reviewers, is the fake music critic who is haunting the place lately.

and who might that be?

You know perfectly...
nunani

Postby cjdenecia » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:27 pm

nunani wrote:
cjdenecia wrote:

and who might that be?

You know perfectly...

I suppose I have an idea but frankly if you can't be up front enough to say it out loud yourself, why should any one else care and how are we supposed to voice an opinion about your complaint man?

man up.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby nunani » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:48 pm

cjdenecia wrote:
nunani wrote:
cjdenecia wrote:

and who might that be?

You know perfectly...

I suppose I have an idea but frankly if you can't be up front enough to say it out loud yourself, why should any one else care and how are we supposed to voice an opinion about your complaint man?

man up.

My opinion goes until... a fake music critic is haunting the place... I haven´t anymore to say... Sorry if you don´t like my "incomplete" opinion.
nunani

Postby HUD » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:42 pm

are you afraid to speak plainly, nunani?
As I returned across the lands I'd known
I recognized the fields where I'd once played
I had to stop in my tracks for fear
Of walking on the mines I'd laid
HUD

Postby nunani » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:16 pm

HUD wrote:are you afraid to speak plainly, nunani?

Grow up, Huddy!
nunani

Next

Return to Audiopolis Reviews Discussions (Waggers and slaggers)