Hard work - Hard site

This forum is for reviewees and reviewers and all comers to discuss various aspects of Audiopolis reviews. (contribute at your own risk and be sure to actually DO official AP.org reviews!)

Re: Hard work - Hard site

Postby suedepudding » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:38 pm

Jamyz, try putting a tune in the contest again, check the message at the top of the screen.. I changed something for your account... Let me know if it works.

BTW what category were you trying to review in?
suedepudding

Postby Ailwyn Rees » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:00 pm

steban wrote:
That is why there needs to be some other faster resolving contest/s and recognition/s always going on in tandem with the big slow moving BRS. We do not have the Alternative Song of the Day, The Review of the Week, The Worst Rock Song of the Month, we have none of that, and I'm going back to GB again. Their contest dragged on as the years passed, but the minor badges one could accrue were freshly earned and constantly changing. I remember how a song one reviewed could be also nominated for a variety of awards on the review page. I won several Worst Song awards over time, but occasionally a Most Original Lyrics or what have you, and by offering so many such public nominations, they were able to create other charts for each of these awards.

I've found this debate rather fascinating! I enjoy the BRS as I like the element of surprise, and I have no issues with it. I play games like "Guess the Artist", "Wrong Category", and it encourages the reviewer to listen to songs out of their comfort zones.

I simply struggle with the IT aspects of the site, like the time I contacted CJ about not being able to hear the tracks. Dimwit... I didn't drag along the white blobs! It's the same with the quote buttons... Dumbo here can't get that right either! I copied and pasted Steb's comment. Can one of you please help me??? Worst song of the month? No, don't include that one. It would be very unfair to you indie musicians, as us Frontliners would win it outright if I upload our cassette recordings from yesteryear!

Keep up the good work all of you!

Ailwyn :rock:
If you've had a review recently just savour the moment!!!
Ailwyn Rees

Postby Krispy » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:19 am

"Stupidest song I ever heard" I think was the award at Garageband. But they had a large membership so it didn't have to be personal.
To save time, assume I know everything
Krispy

Postby zxyz » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:02 am

-post deleted -
zxyz

Location: Way out there somewhere ... maybe a parallel universe or something somewhat similar ..

Postby Ailwyn Rees » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:20 pm

zxyz wrote:-post deleted -

Is this your new alias?
Ailwyn Rees

Postby cjdenecia » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:38 pm

Ailwyn Rees wrote:

Is this your new alias?

z is the ... and always has been ... the leader in post deleted posts. ya see, loveable sod that he is, he tends to work hard, come home, hit the bottle hard and then come on to audiopolis, audiorefugees and say things that maybe aren't exactly completely sensible or appropriate .. or so he thinks after a bit of buyers remorse (generally about 15 minutes)

he is generally harmless and doesn't usually go too far overboard but he is paranoid. but that's just cus his ballsack is now dragging the floor as old as he is. his posts aren't a big deal.

but he loves saying it and then taking it back. it's like his therapy. I like that.
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby steban » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:17 pm

A "Nice Pair"

Review of : theme from agent of chaos By: Expresso Stebo

Been listening to your Pink Floyd albums lately? I haven't, but two of them I bought on vinyl a number of years ago, and they were "A saucerful of secrets" and "Piper at the gates of dawn" - "A Nice Pear"

It's not normal for me to share such info on the BRS, but the 12.06 allows me the luxury to do so... nice whistle by the way!

You get full marks for production and musicianship. It's not brilliant, lots of flaws present, but you have the balls to try something different, so you score well for that!

The drums are somewhat non-descript in places, but well backed up with percussion instruments. Yu might want t bring them up a couple of dBs in a remix?

There's not too much melody around, but that's rather difficult to achieve when being diverse and adventurous, but the vocals have the variety of bass and alto, psychedelic in places, but not top notch. Mind you, for this experimental stuff, do they need to be?

I know who you are, and I do appreciate the efforts you go to, and that is clearly evident in this track. A tad long maybe, but a throwback to the progressive late 60's early 70's progrock revolution :-)

Reviewed by: Ailwyn Rees On: Mon 03/23/15

I just have to share such a fine review- it is verbose, insightful, honestly critical, which makes it so helpful. It also tells me he listened to the whole 12 minutes, which shows he is not suffering from ADHD!

If I had a third Featured Slot, this would be it.

It is most ironic that I am currently halfway through Norman Spinrad's book, Agent of Chaos, free on Kindle by the way. I'd read it before probably 20 years ago, one of his earliest books, very 60s but not yet sexually graphic like most of his later works, and reminds me of the Star Trek type parables, which he was one episode's author. Upon rereading, it seems oversimplified, pitting a future government which super micromanages everybody's lives and yet delivers luxury and wealth in return against democracy, which want's freedom despite being unable to explain just what that is and how it is better than the absolute order, and the anarchist/libertarians, who just want no government at all. I used the idea with poetic license, postulating love may be the order of chaos, and as the song came together I was caught up in the semi-philosophical debate, justifying the song's many flaws as pointed out by all here as quintessential to its nature.

So does that mean I can't imagine a better version, more polish, more concise perhaps, etc etc? I can, and so do those who review it, and perhaps that is how it is meant to be.
everyone is in the middle
we all run at different speeds
everyone has special talents
everyone is special needs
steban

Postby zxyz » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:23 pm

cjdenecia wrote:z is the ... and always has been ... the leader in post deleted posts. ya see, loveable sod that he is, he tends to work hard, come home, hit the bottle hard and then come on to audiopolis, audiorefugees and say things that maybe aren't exactly completely sensible or appropriate .. or so he thinks after a bit of buyers remorse (generally about 15 minutes)

he is generally harmless and doesn't usually go too far overboard but he is paranoid. but that's just cus his ballsack is now dragging the floor as old as he is. his posts aren't a big deal.

but he loves saying it and then taking it back. it's like his therapy. I like that.

Thanks cjerk, ya lovable twat. Don't go changin' .. :love:
zxyz

Location: Way out there somewhere ... maybe a parallel universe or something somewhat similar ..

Postby HUD » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:02 pm

zxyz wrote:Thanks cjerk, ya lovable twat. Don't go changin' .. :love:

that's what we need, zz singing a billy joel love song to cj.
As I returned across the lands I'd known
I recognized the fields where I'd once played
I had to stop in my tracks for fear
Of walking on the mines I'd laid
HUD

Postby zxyz » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:19 pm

♪ .. we love you just the way you are ♫ .. ugh .. I think I'm gonna throw up ..
zxyz

Postby cjdenecia » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:22 am

zxyz wrote:♪ .. we love you just the way you are ♫ .. ugh .. I think I'm gonna throw up ..

I get that a lot.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby zxyz » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:12 am

cjdenecia wrote:
Ailwyn Rees wrote:

Is this your new alias?

.. but that's just cus his ballsack is now dragging the floor

lolsz

Ok-what I deleted was ------------- I liked the way it was in the old days .. post a song, and get constructive critiques .. it was good .. it made me a better musician.. now days you have to go to the brown room.. pick song "A" over song "B" and explain why in a 20 question form as to why you like the songs or dislike them .. geez ...

sorry Stebs and for derailment ... now back to the progress of the moment already in progress .......
zxyz

Postby zxyz » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:17 am

^ now we see why I should delete some of my my posts ..

.. but the "edit" button has disappeared, so I now cannot delete that one ........
zxyz

Postby cjdenecia » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:23 pm

zxyz wrote:^ now we see why I should delete some of my my posts ..

.. but the "edit" button has disappeared, so I now cannot delete that one ........

yeah, the edit does have an expiration time. mostly so you can't. heh.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby Ailwyn Rees » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:09 am

HUD wrote:
zxyz wrote:Thanks cjerk, ya lovable twat. Don't go changin' .. :love:

that's what we need, zz singing a billy joel love song to cj.

It gets worse.... The God of Love, Barry White covered it too!

Does Mr Zxyz look like Barry White? :cry:
Ailwyn Rees

PreviousNext

Return to Audiopolis Reviews Discussions (Waggers and slaggers)