Time Wasters!

This forum is for reviewees and reviewers and all comers to discuss various aspects of Audiopolis reviews. (contribute at your own risk and be sure to actually DO official AP.org reviews!)

Re: Time Wasters!

Postby Krispy » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:45 pm

ptalbot wrote:I'm coming right from recordingreview and got curious from a post from steban.

YAY! Steban puts it about and gets a result! :D

Everything should be done to welcome new members, draw them in numbers and have them want to stay.

Absolutely, and those initial bursts of enthusiasm need to be sustained. The best thing would be for a new artist to get the full range of review styles within a week or two. Whether we can make that happen without intervention is debatable.
To save time, assume I know everything
Krispy

Postby ptalbot » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:55 pm

I just thought of something...
I just did a review and in one of them I'm telling the band to use HPF, and a high-shelf. In another I remember I talked about a de-esser... (Sorry, I'm often technical like that, especially when I hear mixing issues)

It just dawned on me though that maybe the band has no idea what I'm talking about...

What then? There should be a way for a band to interact with the reviewer, more than just rating it in return.
I could imagine the band asking me for more details, what did I mean by using a de-esser to cut the fizz on the high gain guitars?
How do you do that? etc.
For less technical points as well, it would be good to have a way of answering to the reviewer, thanking him, opening a dialog, asking for advice, etc.

I know that in recordingreview, what works is that one can reply directly to the reviewer, asking for clarifications on their comments, this helps getting more involved as well for both parties. This is then part of the 'history' of the review, and quite valuable as well. A new version could come up and we see the evolution of a song. This is great, and a learning tool to all.

Maybe not easy to implement here, but something to think about I guess.
ptalbot

Postby cjdenecia » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:07 pm

steban wrote:Which reminds me, the "contest" pretty much works against people submitting Works in Progress. We have a nice thread for that, but perhaps we underutilize it. It seems to be similar to the old Review thread. Perhaps we need to embrace these threads as what some people are really looking for, or somehow incorporate them into the "contest", like a preseason football game.

I have encouraged that since audiopolis went live and the review forum was reduced to a secondary cause. I still do. I don't and wouldn't use it much myself at this site, for a lot of reasons, whereas I might on a site geared to production. but currently, I have zero time for that .... don't mind if a bunch do tho, especially if it brings some of them here.

I don't see how it could be integrated in the review process formally tho. the upload is the regular season and the last rounds are the playoffs and superbowl.
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby steban » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:14 am

ptalbot wrote:I just thought of something...
I just did a review and in one of them I'm telling the band to use HPF, and a high-shelf. In another I remember I talked about a de-esser... (Sorry, I'm often technical like that, especially when I hear mixing issues)

It just dawned on me though that maybe the band has no idea what I'm talking about...

What then? There should be a way for a band to interact with the reviewer, more than just rating it in return.
I could imagine the band asking me for more details, what did I mean by using a de-esser to cut the fizz on the high gain guitars?
How do you do that? etc.
For less technical points as well, it would be good to have a way of answering to the reviewer, thanking him, opening a dialog, asking for advice, etc.

I know that in recordingreview, what works is that one can reply directly to the reviewer, asking for clarifications on their comments, this helps getting more involved as well for both parties. This is then part of the 'history' of the review, and quite valuable as well. A new version could come up and we see the evolution of a song. This is great, and a learning tool to all.

Maybe not easy to implement here, but something to think about I guess.

You can't append the review itself, Pat, but you can send a private message to the band or openly discuss it in the forum. On the surface it seems so oneway, but we think of ourselves as a community, so do freely interact for whatever reason. The idea is to be helpful, not vindictive, and that is all about the tone of the conversation, not the fact that you might have even hated the song.

One can actually update your song with an improved version, which won't help its prior rating in the contest, but you can post about it and share the link, and often people will check it out and tell you if it is now better or whatever.

I will say to everyone that the recordingreview forum is a great place for very technical advice, much like a cj review. I'm personally intrigued by the Reaper discussions as a new and still struggling Reaper user.

And it is true what you said, Pat, how it's kind of exciting the blindness of this process. You just never know what to expect! It is not the radio.
everyone is in the middle
we all run at different speeds
everyone has special talents
everyone is special needs
steban

Postby ptalbot » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:27 am

steban wrote:You can't append the review itself, Pat, but you can send a private message to the band or openly discuss it in the forum. On the surface it seems so oneway, but we think of ourselves as a community, so do freely interact for whatever reason. The idea is to be helpful, not vindictive, and that is all about the tone of the conversation, not the fact that you might have even hated the song.

One can actually update your song with an improved version, which won't help its prior rating in the contest, but you can post about it and share the link, and often people will check it out and tell you if it is now better or whatever.

I will say to everyone that the recordingreview forum is a great place for very technical advice, much like a cj review. I'm personally intrigued by the Reaper discussions as a new and still struggling Reaper user.

And it is true what you said, Pat, how it's kind of exciting the blindness of this process. You just never know what to expect! It is not the radio.

How do you contact a band? I've seen no link from the song or band pages...
And I agree about helpful and not vindictive... Doesn't mean you have to sugar coat everything you say though.
We're big boys/girls aren't we?

RR is an awesome place. I've been around for about a year and a half and my mixing abilities have gone a long way... (they still have a long way to go of course, but that's the fun part!)

I'll say that the review process is better than radio... it's fun and always surprising.
ptalbot

Postby steban » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:26 pm

I don't send a lot of private messages, but in the header of the Audio Refugees forum above it says

User Control Panel (0 new messages) * View your posts.

Clicking on 0 new messages will take one to the message screen. If you have a message, it will say 1 new message. And you can send messages there, too.

Not super clear but actually very simple and handy.

In the Audiopolis side I don't see a direct PM link, Pat. It is a reasonable idea to add a link there such as on a review page or band or member page, maybe to easily send the message directly to the member.

You arrived at a time when we are highly motivated to make improvements, and many will be coming relatively shortly. I'm not the guy who has to do the web work, but Gregg I'm sure is paying attention to all that is being discussed and prioritizing.

I can't foresee the specifics, but I think we will have some contest entry changes to reward active members, and some look and feel changes that will make the site more user friendly and more exciting to visit. I think the kind of ideas you mentioned thus far like monthly contests and prizes are worthy of serious consideration. Probably the easier and more urgent changes will occur first, and then the more artistic and intricate changes later. For instance, it is easier to have a monthly contest in the forum than to design a big blind review type interface, so perhaps we use the forum and on both sides' home pages, maybe elsewhere on Your Music page, internally advertise these events.

It would even be cool to promote things like this at other sites that are legit, like recordingreviews stuff. We really don't link to anywhere else except as a topic in a conversation, which we do do a lot of.

Our common consensus here is the music sites are in general suffering for the indie musician and aficionado, and Facebook does not feel like the answer. It is due to many reasons, but it does not mean people don't want places to go for things they need, be it honest feedback or promotion or just entertainment. They want it, but it isn't all there yet, and they don't know what it will look like yet either. We might be able to help serve a greater good.
everyone is in the middle
we all run at different speeds
everyone has special talents
everyone is special needs
steban

Postby Ailwyn Rees » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:20 am

cjdenecia wrote:thanks for the support ailwyn. one of the problems with the site, as I've seen is that yes, too many people simply have come and uploaded and done nothing else. they haven't even bothered to rate the reviews given. it's been discouraging ....

we're certainly at a crossroad with the site at the moment and it'd be a positive sign that might sway us towards continued efforts if more were actively taking part in all aspects of what audiopolis offers, gives and receives.

Another hilarious Jakob 22 review from the merciless CJ!! http://www.audiopolis.org/blind_review/ ... reviewed-0
Life goes on...
If you've had a review recently just savour the moment!!!
Ailwyn Rees

Postby Krispy » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:15 pm

That's a copy and paste job like what Roxi used to do before he learned to stick to one-liners.
Krispy

Postby HUD » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:10 pm

Wow.............................52 seconds! Reviewer: Ailwyn Rees

that's what she said.

at least not much of a time waster, eh?
As I returned across the lands I'd known
I recognized the fields where I'd once played
I had to stop in my tracks for fear
Of walking on the mines I'd laid
HUD

Postby Ailwyn Rees » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:51 am

Krispy wrote:That's a copy and paste job like what Roxi used to do before he learned to stick to one-liners.

Yep... and I still lack in IT skills! Methinks I need to learn how to stream links on the song page???
Ailwyn Rees

Postby Ailwyn Rees » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:52 am

HUD wrote:

that's what she said.

at least not much of a time waster, eh?
Krispy wrote:That's a copy and paste job like what Roxi used to do before he learned to stick to one-liners.

Said the actress to the bishop :tard:
Ailwyn Rees

Postby Krispy » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:36 pm

HUD wrote:

Please explain. :tard:
Krispy

Postby HUD » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:31 pm

As I returned across the lands I'd known
I recognized the fields where I'd once played
I had to stop in my tracks for fear
Of walking on the mines I'd laid
HUD

Postby Krispy » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:57 am

Aha.

But I was really asking if:

"Wow.............................52 seconds!"

is an actual Ailwyn review.
Krispy

Previous

Return to Audiopolis Reviews Discussions (Waggers and slaggers)