Knopfler ripoff revealed!

This forum is for reviewees and reviewers and all comers to discuss various aspects of Audiopolis reviews. (contribute at your own risk and be sure to actually DO official AP.org reviews!)

Knopfler ripoff revealed!

Postby ingolee » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:50 pm

Reviewers have accused me of doing a bad imitation of Mark Knopfler on my song Pleasure. Under intense pressure I must confess that, yes, I do Mark Knopfler imitations. Here's another one.

Ingo does Knopfler.mp3
(2.59 MiB) Downloaded 62 times
ingolee

Re: Knopfler ripoff revealed!

Postby mistertroll » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:14 pm

Nicely done!
Keep your booger hook off the bang switch and nobody gets hurt.

mistertroll

Postby steban » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:34 pm

It's alright, Ingo, 95% of all songs flagrantly flaunt some borrowed signature sounds. And some songs sound generic, nearly indistinguishable from entire swaths of songs by multiple performers.

I must say, your Dire Straits cover is pretty darn good, especially the guitar, and even if it is not as good as Mark himself it is an admirable copy. It is also a much stronger guitar line than in the one I reviewed (yes, me!). It was as if you were still outlining the part, but there was yet a final version.

Of course it would still sound like Mark, dude, and that's OK. Now it is possible there are more people out there than I imagine who have never heard of him and barely if at all his songs, and all those people will think you're being very original, hehe. I probably give lots of songs extra points for originality when it is simply that I am unfamiliar with the fusion of performers/songs that it sounds eerily like.

Alas, in the reviews, we have lots of older folks who are especially familiar with classic retro rock as well as tons of alternative/jazz/experimental/indie/etc. that they both love and recognize for what it is, so if you pay homage to your musical heroes, you suffer the comparisons.

I theorize that we all have these inner compulsions to sound certain ways, and if it is Elvis's time, well, it will likely have to be gotten out of the system sooner or later, probably honed before possible abandonment for some other goal.

My strategy is to do such a bad or loose imitation nobody makes the connection! You might try substituting a synth for the guitar lead, add some strings and fool with the song structure to be less obvious in the future if you want to pursue this sound in future songs.
everyone is in the middle
we all run at different speeds
everyone has special talents
everyone is special needs
steban

Postby Krispy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:54 pm

Very adroit, but please kill the drummer.
To save time, assume I know everything
Krispy

Postby ingolee » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:20 am

Thanks Mr. Troll, Steban and Krispy, it's great to get feedback from you guys.

steban wrote:I theorize that we all have these inner compulsions to sound certain ways

I agree with that. I think the source of that is the cultural conditioning we all get. If you ever truly get away from your "roots", you end up in a kind of limbo which is often unsettling. That's why innovative artists often aren't popular. Or happy.

steban wrote:You might try substituting a synth for the guitar lead, add some strings and fool with the song structure to be less obvious in the future if you want to pursue this sound in future songs.

That's a good idea. I did some of that for "Pleasure" already but I always came back to the loose vocal and lead you heard. To me they capture the slacker-apathy and greed that this song is about. I can play it in the pocket but I can't get the same feel that way.

Krispy wrote:Very adroit, but please kill the drummer.

Adroit is good, I know because I looked it up, so thank you. The drummer was never very lively anyway, but perhaps we should reserve some of our wrath for the mix engineer, I have my doubts about him too.
ingolee

Postby Jay » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:50 pm

ingolee wrote:Reviewers have accused me of doing a bad imitation of Mark Knopfler on my song Pleasure. Under intense pressure I must confess that, yes, I do Mark Knopfler imitations. Here's another one.

Ingo does Knopfler.mp3

Now, there's a solo I would've guessed, Kim.

Knopfler is a lot to take on, ingo. Nicely done. Now fix the crappy parts :P.
Prunes!
Jay

Postby Krispy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:26 am

Jay wrote:Now fix the crappy parts :P.

He puts the emoticon in there but he really means it.
To save time, assume I know everything
Krispy

Postby ingolee » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:49 pm

Jay wrote:Knopfler is a lot to take on, ingo. Nicely done. Now fix the crappy parts :P.

Thank you Jay! Here's the tune with the crappy parts. About the lead guitar CJ, in his review, said:

"too much lead fills and by god, that's some narrow blinders this guy has on for the how far off the box he should wander but it's mildly cool how it teeters on the edge of yuck for notes but maintain a sorta SCREW YOU sorta tude ..."

Which tells me he didn't like it much but he did get the point of why I played it that way instead of Knopfler style. What do you think?

ingolee

Postby ingolee » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:10 pm

Krispy wrote:

Very descriptive, but kind of general and unspecific. My tune is slacker/grunge rock so I can't see Knopfler precision being useful. My Knop copy needs remix and master but why waste time, it ain't mine anyway? Your thoughts?
ingolee

Postby Jay » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:24 pm

Krispy wrote:

The emoticon changes the meaning to "fix the sloppy bits". Subtle distinction, I know.
Prunes!
Jay

Postby Jay » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:28 pm

ingolee wrote:My Knop copy needs remix and master but why waste time, it ain't mine anyway? Your thoughts?

In case it wasn't clear, I was only referring to your "Sultans" cover. In reality, all I was doing was saying you did a good job but it could stand improvement. Just giving you feedback FWIW. As for wasting the time, hey, that's your decision. Just keep :rock:in'.
Prunes!
Jay

Return to Audiopolis Reviews Discussions (Waggers and slaggers)