Underappreciated Songs on Audiopolis

This forum is for reviewees and reviewers and all comers to discuss various aspects of Audiopolis reviews. (contribute at your own risk and be sure to actually DO official AP.org reviews!)

Underappreciated Songs on Audiopolis

Postby Steve Ison » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:03 am

http://www.audiopolis.org/music/mudsoul-slave/lover

This is like some of of those really cool,really well written lofi songs i used to hear at GB-think they'd be 4 + stars and look and they'd be like 2.1 or something..
Such a cool vibey psyche/prog song..Chorus is really inspired n instantly resonant..
I just don't get why i love a song like this-and everyone else just dosn't get it...
It kinda feels like the runt of the litter-and makes me wanna get behind it even more n give it some love as its undeservedly unappreciated lol

Shoes by Kim n Hud is a brilliant,distinctive track totally underappreciated here too imo (tho not as underappreciated as Lover lol )-and i just don't get that either..http://www.audiopolis.org/music/kim-christie/shoes
Keepin' it unreal
Steve Ison

Re: Underappreciated Songs on Audiopolis

Postby Peevette » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:56 pm

Steve Ison wrote:http://www.audiopolis.org/music/mudsoul-slave/lover

This is like some of of those really cool,really well written lofi songs i used to hear at GB-think they'd be 4 + stars and look and they'd be like 2.1 or something..
Such a cool vibey psyche/prog song..Chorus is really inspired n instantly resonant..
I just don't get why i love a song like this-and everyone else just dosn't get it...
It kinda feels like the runt of the litter-and makes me wanna get behind it even more n give it some love as its undeservedly unappreciated lol

Shoes by Kim n Hud is a brilliant,distinctive track totally underappreciated here too imo (tho not as underappreciated as Lover lol )-and i just don't get that either..http://www.audiopolis.org/music/kim-christie/shoes

I can't argue with you that the songs aren't good. But, I can tell you that "Lover" doesn't quite grab me like it does you. I'm not going to review the tune here, I'd rather save it for an official review.

Regarding "Shoes", I read your review and I agree with most of what you wrote. Definitely a different type of tune all together. Again, I'll save my review.

The beauty of music is how a song affects different people in different ways. Not everyone will appreciate what you like about a song, Steve, but I think its wicked cool that you like these tunes as you do!!

Thanks for the post!
Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
Peevette

Postby cjdenecia » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:38 am

Steve Ison wrote:http://www.audiopolis.org/music/mudsoul-slave/lover

apparently I missed this half a year or more back steve ... thanks ....

and tho I love the song - we, in MSS, sorta felt like it was one of our lesser tunes ourselves. and that's not dissing the song, just saying we felt like Better Day, Missing Judas and See Ya Later were better .... of the 6 songs on the EP, it was the role playing filler tune- with a great potential for a niche bunch of lovers, but not the song that would be our TM.

but again - thanks.
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby Krispy » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:39 am

Steve Ison wrote:Shoes by Kim n Hud is a brilliant,distinctive track totally underappreciated here too

Cheque's in the post.
To save time, assume I know everything
Krispy

Postby KJB » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:40 pm

My view on this topic. Everyone has their own way of seeing and hearing the magic of a good song. Mine starts with vocals and emotion. I have always said vocals make up 50% of a song. Again, just MY ears talking. So when I do a review, if the song doesn't grab me with those two things, it gets lost in my mind and I'm not going to pick apart each instrument just to satisfy someones ego. I do like how some reviewers are more technical with their responses but thats not me. I just get down and dirty. Not every song can please everybody. If one relied on that for approval of their talent then they shouldn't be in the business. I hate rap but it sells millions, I don't like bluegrass but again there's an audience for it. There's not that many people doing reviews here to get the whole picture but you can at least get an idea about your work. Its one thing to appreciate someones effort and another to create a masterpiece top 5 selling song. This isn't american idol where peoples friends tell them their great when they really suck. I will now go and listen to one of the songs in question on this subject. My review will be posted here. I have no idea about the songs in question so I look forward to listening to them
KJB

Postby KJB » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:54 pm

Just listened to "Shoes". I like the funky beat with that slow groove but the vocals aren't sassy enough for me. At least thats the emotion I think should be coming across because the beat feels that way as well in MY ears. I hear someone like Chrissie Hynde from the Pretenders giving this song that edge and final touch. But there again, I'm not the writer and the band has their own direction they want to take it. Thats all fine and good but that also doesn't mean I have to like the finished product either.
KJB

Postby Peevette » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:57 am

KJB wrote:Just listened to "Shoes". I like the funky beat with that slow groove but the vocals aren't sassy enough for me. At least thats the emotion I think should be coming across because the beat feels that way as well in MY ears. I hear someone like Chrissie Hynde from the Pretenders giving this song that edge and final touch. But there again, I'm not the writer and the band has their own direction they want to take it. Thats all fine and good but that also doesn't mean I have to like the finished product either.

I agree with you that we cannot please everyone, thus when we create music we must be true to our hearts and first set out to please ourselves. So why do we upload music on a site where our music is up for review? What is the motivation? What are we looking for? The answer to those questions would be different for every musician registered with this site.

Why do I upload music for review? Reading a person's perception of my tune, helps me improve. I may not agree with everything I read and there may be something said that could strike a nerve. But there is also the constructive critisizm that helps me grow as a musician. Either way, I appreciate if someone takes the time to listen to my tune and then shares with me their musical experience through their point of view.

I've heard enough positive reviews of the music that I have uploaded to this site that my creative juices are reinforced. :beer:
Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
Peevette

Postby KJB » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:47 pm

I totally agree. We as musicians are lucky now a days to even have this avenue. When I first started recording originals years ago you were lucky to get a few people to listen to them let alone give you an opinion
KJB

Postby Krispy » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:16 pm

Being a touch vain, I don't take much notice of reviewers' recommendations. I like reading what they think of the song but, hey, it's probably done and dusted and I'm not going back there. It was what it was - you know.
I like listening to songs and writing about them. I tend to concentrate on the 'story' I get from the song, throwing in mix/application/production/performance comments because I feel I ought to. Or when I feel sufficiently qualified.

Peeve wrote:What are we looking for?

My keys, mostly.
Krispy

Postby Mark Kaufman » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:51 pm

I encountered songwriting review sites on the web and dove right in. After about a year of dedicated reviewing, I found myself questioning how much I valued the process. By the time I came here, I was kinda-sorta interested in reviews, and swiftly arrived at my present state, which is best described as "strongly disinterested in reviews". No surprise to the core group, I imagine.

At this point, once I finish a song, I almost always have a good sense of its actual value--when it sucks, I see it. When it's pretty good, I see it. I'm not confused about any of that anymore. So the whole process is a bit extraneous to me now...it's not why I write, and I don't really crave a response anymore. I just like to make the stuff.
Mark Kaufman

Postby cjdenecia » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:32 pm

Mark Kaufman wrote:I encountered songwriting review sites on the web and dove right in. After about a year of dedicated reviewing, I found myself questioning how much I valued the process. By the time I came here, I was kinda-sorta interested in reviews, and swiftly arrived at my present state, which is best described as "strongly disinterested in reviews". No surprise to the core group, I imagine.

At this point, once I finish a song, I almost always have a good sense of its actual value--when it sucks, I see it. When it's pretty good, I see it. I'm not confused about any of that anymore. So the whole process is a bit extraneous to me now...it's not why I write, and I don't really crave a response anymore. I just like to make the stuff.

you expect a response, I'm sure. and you probably knew I couldn't resist.

interesting view.

and tho there's no intentional diss koff, I find this explanation just a little dubious. you may have encountered lots of review sites before coming to audiorefugees.com but it's unlikely any of them were as totally honest in their opinions across the board as we were when you posted many numerous songs in the review forum, and took part in reviewing there. I guess I think that because our opinions didn't always line up entirely with what you "see" about your finished songs, maybe that contributed to a desire to abandon the reviewing process.

plus .....

if one simply only likes to make "stuff", one doesn't bother with posting it. making it available for listening by others. unless of course, they feel that it is some sort of gift to society that surely society will appreciate and I don't really get that vibe out of you. yet, you still consistently post songs on the net and advertise them to be heard. and others that work with you do the same - all the while being sure to mention your participation.

you don't really say why you write, record and distribute but if it's not to illicit a response, I'd say you'd probably not distribute. which is why I feel your explanation sounds dubious.

seems far more like dismissal of others views to me. which is maybe what you're saying. and if so, it makes sense that you wouldn't post songs to review sites any more. and actually, because they are your songs - that's fair enough. there are plenty of places where you can distribute them that only result in high fives- one way or the other ... either cus a person can eliminate negativity in even it's most constructive form and some places just don't allow for it at all. and to continue to try to be fair, that's good business. I mean come on, if nickleback uploaded material to a site that gave honest reviews and the press got a hold of a number of opinions that they needed to write a new song (unlike the previous bagfull of hits that are in reality, the same song) - that wouldn't be smart ....

but 99.9% of us who've taken part in these indie review sites - ain't NB. but it's still good business. back at garageband years ago, when doing a search for a particular song or band on google or some other search engine, you could have found a results page headed by a negative cjdenecia review. or similar. I saw it happen.

I understand wanting to avoid that. I don't agree with the philosophy but I understand it.

I don't agree with the concept because I fear it removes the outside chance that I'd be wrong on my appraisal of my own songs worth. both when those opinions are pro or con. which removes passion ... and will surely show. and make the "stuff" dismiss-able. which in turn, makes not submitting songs to sites dealing with such things valid. fair enough, if I don't wanna believe I'm fallible.

I hope I never ever get to that point. if I do, my guess is, I'll stop making music. and in turn, question my intent and value as a critic. cus I would end up being nothing but an inspector. checking for flaws and procedural errors and craftsmanship positives. which I'd deem boring at best when a critique depends on only those attributes and not the emotional and guttural factors.

but like in a review, these are strictly my opinions. and might in fact, be extraneous to you koff. I hope for the sake of audiopolis, it's not, to many other music makers of all scopes of ability and experience.
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby Krispy » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:26 am

Mark Kaufman wrote:I don't really crave a response anymore.

Come on now Koff, everyone craves a response to their art. Seems like you're saying you just don't wanna know what that response was.
Krispy

Postby Mark Kaufman » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:15 am

cj, I think I understand why you view it the way you do, and you're welcome to your suppositions about how it REALLY is with me, as opposed to my own experience of said lifetime. But I don't agree with your description. I do indeed play my songs for people, and I do indeed crave and enjoy getting a response to my songs.

But I was talking about reviews. Dedicated, writerly, critic-ee reviews.

Reviews bore the crap out of me now, whether I'm giving or receiving. They are boring. Yours are in fact the best I've ever seen. Seriously, when I think of the awful reviews in Rolling Stone, which is probably the dream job of any rock critic, and imagine putting any one of them next to any one of your serious efforts, it's just laughable. You could own that department.

Was getting reviews here some sort of life-changing event for me? Sorry, no. They were certainly not the first to huwt my feewings, nor were they the first to be relevant, honest or incisive. They were just real good, and this particular community is indeed a strongly focused one that gives consistently great reviews, whether they're positive, negative or both.

That said, I'll reiterate the plain old factual point: formal reviews are not what drive me to make music. MUSIC is what drives me to make music. People's response to it is certainly interesting and important enough...but it's not the music. It's more like talking about the sex you just had...always an interesting conversation, but it's not why you fuck. Not at all.
Mark Kaufman

Postby Mark Kaufman » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:24 am

Krispy wrote:
Mark Kaufman wrote:I don't really crave a response anymore.

Come on now Koff, everyone craves a response to their art. Seems like you're saying you just don't wanna know what that response was.

Yeah, response is nice, so I admit I crave it sometimes...or maybe even always, to varying degrees. But yeah, I think you're right.
Mark Kaufman

Postby Krispy » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:31 am

Koff wrote:Reviews bore the crap out of me now, whether I'm giving or receiving. They are boring. Yours are in fact the best I've ever seen.

Well I don't wanna come over all heavy and indignant an' shit Mark, but that's a real diss for a lot of the people on the site. If you were to pay a brief visit to Audiopolis you'd see how there are various different styles of review and some of them are very creative. They are pieces of writing which would not have been written without the prompt of a song. And because we are currently doing them without any reward but for the experience itself and the satisfaction of curiosity, the writing is without format. Who woundn't be interested in that?
So there.

I invite you to upload some songs there and wait a while. And I'll put twenty quid on your coming back for a quick peek. 8-)
Krispy

Next

Return to Audiopolis Reviews Discussions (Waggers and slaggers)