Discuss your Audiopolis review HERE.

This forum is for reviewees and reviewers and all comers to discuss various aspects of Audiopolis reviews. (contribute at your own risk and be sure to actually DO official AP.org reviews!)

Re: Discuss your Audiopolis review HERE.

Postby steban » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:48 pm

I completely understand why you generally despise my "projects", but that is no reason for me to not try. It makes me happy. Is it scaring off the masses? It could be encouraging the average guy to get in, they might think they stand a good chance winning! In the long run, there will always be songs on the bottom of any chart, and it may be as informative to hear what most people disliked as much as what they liked. In fact, validating the efficacy of a chart must support the fact one mainly agrees with the chart placement of songs.

And I will shortly recognize here the songs that you did like, which I greatly appreciate, but I've been busy making new music with new wonderful sounds, travelling, working, and trying to keep up with all the reviews I've been getting. A veritable flood.

One thing I must ask is, have you ever tried cherry tomatoes dipped in peanut butter? How about chocolate chip cookies dipped in queso? Well, I have....

And it was good!

Will I serve it up at my next backyard todo? Not likely, but I also won't play all my songs on the stereo while people are trying to eat, I mean, that would be extra cruel.

I did play Plans 1-9 From Outer Space the youtube video to my family in July, and it didn't get as bad a review as here, which I must say may be because a song with video is perceived with context that may make it better. Ought a song based on the worst sci-fi movie of all time be "good"? That would be disingenuous to the subject matter. That said, there was a totally different mix, totally, but I went with Plan 1....
everyone is in the middle
we all run at different speeds
everyone has special talents
everyone is special needs
steban

Postby cjdenecia » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:33 am

steban wrote:I completely understand why you generally despise my "projects", but that is no reason for me to not try. It makes me happy. Is it scaring off the masses? It could be encouraging the average guy to get in, they might think they stand a good chance winning! In the long run, there will always be songs on the bottom of any chart, and it may be as informative to hear what most people disliked as much as what they liked. In fact, validating the efficacy of a chart must support the fact one mainly agrees with the chart placement of songs.

nobody said you shouldn't try stebs. but some real practice might be your best bet. on writing and playing ....

anyway, trying ain't the same as uploading into the contest. and you certainly have ideas on how to get other people quicker reviews - don't you think that removing a few of yours that are getting completely horrid reviews so other peoples songs can be got to might speed up the process? if they don't get your worst, they get somebody elses and in turn, those folks move forward in the queue faster.

you want us to do big things, are you not willing to consider something yourself?

plus, sorry - but there's simply some of yours that are not worth hearing for any reason, chart bottom barometer or not.
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby ptalbot » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:44 am

steban wrote:I completely understand why you generally despise my "projects",...

One thing I must ask is, have you ever tried cherry tomatoes dipped in peanut butter? How about chocolate chip cookies dipped in queso? Well, I have....

And it was good!

I don't despise your projects. I'm saying you would be better concentrating on simple feelings and playing.

I don't think rotten tomatoes dipped in moulded peanut butter would taste that nice...
Meaning that it's not the fact that you're out there... it's the fact that you're not exactly equipped for it.

You've cited Frank Zappa but what makes is music so compelling even if it's nothing but mainstream is the master level of musicianship he (and his bands) had.

Practice simpler songwriting and playing is what I'm saying.
Don't try to run before you can walk, etc.
ptalbot

Postby steban » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:33 am

cjdenecia wrote:anyway, trying ain't the same as uploading into the contest. and you certainly have ideas on how to get other people quicker reviews - don't you think that removing a few of yours that are getting completely horrid reviews so other peoples songs can be got to might speed up the process? if they don't get your worst, they get somebody elses and in turn, those folks move forward in the queue faster.

you want us to do big things, are you not willing to consider something yourself?

plus, sorry - but there's simply some of yours that are not worth hearing for any reason, chart bottom barometer or not.

Well, I might consider that, ceej. I have to admit I enjoy the reviews and learn much from them. However, there are a few I probably could exit the blind reviews early, that have been sufficiently reviewed.

ptalbot wrote:I don't despise your projects. I'm saying you would be better concentrating on simple feelings and playing.

I don't think rotten tomatoes dipped in moulded peanut butter would taste that nice...
Meaning that it's not the fact that you're out there... it's the fact that you're not exactly equipped for it.

You've cited Frank Zappa but what makes is music so compelling even if it's nothing but mainstream is the master level of musicianship he (and his bands) had.

Practice simpler songwriting and playing is what I'm saying.
Don't try to run before you can walk, etc.

There is no formula for successful songwriting, Pat, especially commercial success. I have very simple songs that are not all that likable, too. What happens is we all end up striving for something on every new song, not just technical or performance perfection, something beyond that. A sound, a melody, an idea, a lyric, something that is if not original is memorable or perhaps audacious. Not regurgitated.

That, my friend, is the one true challenge for us all. Popularity is fickle at best, and abject failure is relative. Don't get discouraged!

And Zappa was a walking contradiction- a masterful musician whose vocals were mostly a joke, whose lyrics were all over the place, and I think the juxtaposition of the good, bad and the ugly was what made him bearable to me, a genius to some, and unpalatable to most. I'm no Frank, and my legacy will be more like the tomb of the unknown internet musician, filled with often epic length torrents of error-filled noise and odd arrangements played with cheezy sounding midi instruments and recorded with bad mics by horrible sound engineers, and sometimes worse, but in all that will be things no one else has attempted, words and melodies that are only mine, that are better than the recording. That being said, I will keep trying to improve on all fronts, but that does not equate to simpler songs per se. It may be I will engage better musicians more frequently to do the hard work I cannot. It may be I use my tools better than I ever have. But the challenge- the words, the melody, the ball of wax- that is never going to change. Nobody can say, I'm only going to write number one hits. Everyone can say, I'm going to write a bunch of junk, but some of it may actually turn out to be number one hits.

One day, our music will be boxed up, categorized, out there for internet ever to be downloaded and played, possibly enjoyed, possibly reshelved with no hope of a replay, and why? Is it what somebody wanted/needed to hear now? Why? I know my box will be labelled NO/LOW PRODUCTION. LONG WORDY SONGS. OFF THE WALL. But in a hundred years, that might sound like an interesting box to open.
steban

Postby cjdenecia » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:39 pm

steban wrote: I know my box will be labelled NO/LOW PRODUCTION. LONG WORDY SONGS. OFF THE WALL. But in a hundred years, that might sound like an interesting box to open.

heh, you will have labeled that box yourself stebs. cus I'm gonna guess somebody else, well everybody else, might not be so kind. don't make me write it, it won't be pretty.
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby steban » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:14 pm

cjdenecia wrote:
steban wrote: I know my box will be labelled NO/LOW PRODUCTION. LONG WORDY SONGS. OFF THE WALL. But in a hundred years, that might sound like an interesting box to open.

heh, you will have labeled that box yourself stebs. cus I'm gonna guess somebody else, well everybody else, might not be so kind. don't make me write it, it won't be pretty.

That's what the blind reviews are for!
steban

Postby steban » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:31 pm

How does one unenter a song from the contest but leave it up as a song? That was a good idea, ceej. It wouldn't be as simple as Edit and then leave the checkbox to Enter in Contest unchecked, would it? As I recollect, it is always unchecked by default every time one Edits. If so, I may have already done so to some songs, can't tell.
steban

Postby Starsky » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:47 pm

steban wrote:How does one unenter a song from the contest but leave it up as a song? That was a good idea, ceej. It wouldn't be as simple as Edit and then leave the checkbox to Enter in Contest unchecked, would it? As I recollect, it is always unchecked by default every time one Edits. If so, I may have already done so to some songs, can't tell.

one cannot un-enter a song stebs. the only thing you can do is delete it. on the other hand, I can remove it from the cycle, as I just did with what was probably your worst ranked song - http://www.audiopolis.org/music/bankrup ... ights-sung (if you want me to put it back - say so).

so, if you want, just give me (starsky - not cj) a PM with a list (with links) to those songs you want removed from the contest/cycle/charts and I'll handle it.
Starsky

Postby steban » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:00 am

Thanks! Will do.

By the way, this is not something everyone should do. You should review. And I will continue to do so, and continue to upload new songs, but only good ones from now on.
steban

Postby Krispy » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:57 am

That's very noble and gracious of you Stebs! Though of course, we all think our songs are good. :mrgreen:
To save time, assume I know everything
Krispy

Postby steban » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:50 pm

Review of : Come Sit Down in Tahrir Square By: Bankrupts

I would not call that folk. At all.

The least I can say about this one is that it's wordy (is that why it's a folk tune in your mind?).

There's some timing issues and the bass is meandering without too much sense of whatever else happen in the guitar and lead.
The guitar is overly phasey and muddy, but the lead vocal can still be heard, which is mainly because it's 6db over the rest of the 'band'.

The constant doubling of the lead vocal, both with rather imprecise pitch, is disconcerting and sound pretty bad TBH. Why not use a simple vocal, and only use background vocals sparingly to highlight some parts?

I have trouble finding a chorus in this song, it sounds to me like and endless verse. Fortunately the song is quite short, but I'm still grateful that it's finished...

Reviewed by: ptalbot On: Fri 09/19/14

This is a good review, Pat, but it questions why the song is on folk.

I would call it really folk rock, as there is no folk rock category.

But it is not that it is wordy but what the words are about. This song is about the Arab Spring in Egypt, about a historical event (current at the time written).

In my mind there is acoustic, traditional, and folk.

Acoustic is often singer/songwriter or acoustic groups. I wouldn't consider it folk without some real cultural lyrical context. The more the words focus on that, the more folk it is.

Traditional may be polkas, anything that reflects a style of a place and period, but the words might be nonsense or about anything.

So a song can be played with tubas or bagpipes or organs or electric guitars, it does not matter, and be folk in its lyrics because it focuses on real cultural events.

Are You Going to San Francisco and Ohio are folk rock songs. Joe Hill is. Blowin' in the Wind is. Crimson Blue Persuasion is not. Diamonds and Rust is not. Tangled Up in Blue is not.

In many songs there is some aspect of social commentary, and where there is it would be its 'folk' side. I would say that the more important the real world commentary is to the song message, the more folk it is and the less it is just a love song or whatever.

I guess it is possible to have an instrumental folk song, like Hendryx's National Anthem, but he does that by implied words and sounds of bombs and aircraft. A straight version of the National Anthem, however, is not folk.

Alas, it seems easier for most folks to mistake acoustic or traditional for folk as much traditional folk was played that way.

As far as the technical review, it is spot on. Almost everybody can play guitar and sing better and mix better than I! The chorus, however, is the opening 'come sit down in Tahrir Square' part. It doesn't repeat exactly but that is not a definition of a chorus, is it? Choruses often come first also (we built this city on rock and roll).

This is my opinion, and I'm sure some will say I'm way off base, but that's OK. There are diehard filk music fans who disqualify any non-acoustic songs to be called filk, and same with folk. That's why one might have to invent filk rock music for things like March Droids. There's just too many fusions possible, once one deviates from an easily identifiable genre.
steban

Postby Krispy » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:29 am

Wow - a review already!

Interesting metalloid ditty

Review of : What happens in November? By: Kim Christie

Could be the soundtrack of a sci-fi serie... with a little bit more substance.

I can imagine a dystopian future where everything is cold and white and senseless and robots have completely replace human workforce (we're not that far from it).

Some interesting sounds and a few inspired moment, but I can't say it holds interest more than a minute... Which is why I think it could be a worthy support for some images. Without it, I'm afraid it's a little bare and lack of melodic content and purpose.

The mix is fine with some good stereo width and good separation overall. The vocals could be a little bit more present, they are rather masked by the low end content, not sure there are lyrics as such, but it's cool anyway. Is this the lead instrument?

Reviewed by: ptalbot On: Tue 09/23/14

It's true that it doesn't have much melodic content and purpose, and that's why it's only two and a half minutes. And that was pushing it a bit.

As it says in the blurb, it was an experiment in the use of sound effects - tuning and such. Noises as instruments. Influenced by my favourite Industrial/Electronic bands.

The vocals are deliberately suppressed because they're not the focus of the tune, more just another instrument. There've been discussions in this forum recently about how important lyrics are and these are just made up on the spot as a vehicle for sound, they have very little meaning.
But I'm really glad you like the mix - I fussed over it for ages!

When selecting the song aspects for review, I ran out of options, so the 'lead instrument' thing is semi-satirical I suppose. :mrgreen:

Wasn't sure whether to go for 'Electronic' or 'Experimental', but a steady beat makes it more conventional I suppose. :|

Thanks for the review Pat.
Krispy

Postby ptalbot » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:32 pm

Krispy wrote:Top notch foot tapper

Review of : Fool By: Pat

After a little time it came to me that the melody throughout this song is George Gershwin’s ‘Fascinating Rhythm’. Until then reaching to grasp the source of that recognition was distracting me.
Like its, presumably unconscious, inspiration it’s a light-hearted sort of performance, vocally skittish and genial, delivered in a warm conversational tone. Instrumentally blended deliciously, with a range of colours and influences which combine to make for not one dull moment. Sunday afternoon mellow Jazz. One part slides into the next with no fear of misalignment.
Lyrically clever and humorously self-depreciating, the mood is echoed very thoroughly from top to tail. It’s a blues song that laughs at itself, like we all should.
An adventurous, tasty sounding little bass tripping all over the place and guitar licking from all sides and cool descending chorus which managing to be down whilst maintaining the up theme.
A fine quality piece of music here, a cut above, with the luxurious gloss of professionalism all over it.
If I had one criticism it would be to say that the beauty of the composition and production is just one notch too good for the vocals, which, although of good quality, come from just across the neighbourhood. It's not so much the technical as the skull-cavity dimension, which you can only argue with God about.

Thanks for the review, Krispy!
Actually this one was (loosely) inspired by Deep Purple "Burn" - so maybe Blackmore was influenced by Gershwin? ;)
The solo is laterally quoting a few well known guitar riffs... it was a fun thing to do.
I don't know if you've picked them?
ptalbot

Postby Krispy » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:33 am

ptalbot wrote:Actually this one was (loosely) inspired by Deep Purple "Burn"

Really? Yeah, now I hear it.
Ain't nothin new under the sun anyway.

The solo is laterally quoting a few well known guitar riffs... it was a fun thing to do.
I don't know if you've picked them?

A couple, I think, maybe. There were certainly a couple of 'What was that?' moments.
Great tune Pat, I think it will be enjoyed by many. :thumb:
Krispy

Postby ptalbot » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:26 pm

steban wrote:Better Open Your Eyes

Review of : Close your eyes By: Pat

The clock tick sound is interesting. I didn't even here it the first time. Then I here throughout the song, getting louder, fading out, and I realize it is one of the last sounds heard at the end.

Glad you like it. I know it's not to everyone's taste! :lol:

steban wrote:It is an excellent Pink Floyd song, I really mean it! Almost everything one does will seem like something else before it, and let me assure you, sounding like a great Floyd song is not an insult by any means.

Why would I think that sounding like a great Floyd song would be an insult?
I didn't try to emulate them consciously when I wrote/arrange it but the mood of the song was begging for that kind of treatment, so I referenced Animals for the mix itself.

Thanks for the review stebs!
ptalbot

PreviousNext

Return to Audiopolis Reviews Discussions (Waggers and slaggers)