[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4554: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4556: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4557: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4558: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
Audio Refugees • View topic - My song being covered... Help on the contract/business end?

My song being covered... Help on the contract/business end?

Business related issues revolving around Independent Music.

My song being covered... Help on the contract/business end?

Postby PopTodd » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:25 pm

So, another relatively unknown artist (like, my level of popularity) is asking about covering one of my songs for his small-run indie release.
My heart tells me that I can just tell him to go ahead and do it... it's so flattering that he is even wanting to put the time into it, but my head tells me that we need something in writing to protect both of us.

Both of us are new at this thing, neither one of us has released anything with a cover song on it before, and neither one of us has had one of our songs covered on a commercial release, either.

Okay folks, if I can't count on you to point us in the right direction, than I don't know who I can count on.

I am a BMI-affilliated writer, but am not signed up with any publishing company.

Is there a standard contract for this sort of thing that just kinda covers it all on a basic level that will keep either of us from being screwed in the future?

Thanks so much!

PopTodd

Re: My song being covered... Help on the contract/business e

Postby cjdenecia » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:47 pm

you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby PopTodd » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:20 pm

PopTodd

Postby mistertroll » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:22 am

I think any local entertainment lawyer will have a standard contract for that sort of thing. You want to keep all of songwriter and publishing rights if at all possible (Many record label contracts insist on some kind of split, from what I've been told.).

The copyright is the main thing. It's all that stands in the way of Kevroy Potter, Dan Hudelson, or Krispy from making millions from their covers of my tunes without me getting a cut. Well, almost the only thing...
Keep your booger hook off the bang switch and nobody gets hurt.

mistertroll

Postby DeathChamberzMusic » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:09 pm

Google Music Contracts and you can find some basic ones. Or if its basic enough write it yourself.
DeathChamberzMusic

Postby MsDa D » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:08 am

I'm going to piggy back a question from the question my fellow songwriter asked about concerning contracts. When you all are referring to how important it is to copyright your tunes; is your work protected when it is registered under the US Copyright Dept when you send it as a compilation of tunes (sending 8 songs on one cd with lyric sheets and calling it a compilation of rock tunes in the 21st century) as opposed to registering each song separately? It is a lot less expensive sending one cd with 8 tunes for $65 bucks as opposed to uploading one tune for $35. Does it really matter? Once you get the registered certificate; isn't that protecting your property rights to your tunes no matter if the tunes are registered as a single or as a compilation? I will take my question off the air.
MsDa D

Postby cjdenecia » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:41 pm

you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby MsDa D » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:27 am

Thanks for the prompt response.
MsDa D

Return to The Biz