[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4554: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4556: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4557: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4558: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
Audio Refugees • View topic - Extending the Pretend Game

Extending the Pretend Game

Business related issues revolving around Independent Music.

Extending the Pretend Game

Postby Steve Soucy » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:51 pm

Now I want to change the discussion about the 11-14 year old, and apply it to a 17 year old who has been playing in bands for 5 years already.... and who is POSITIVE he still wants music as a career.

It occurred to me that one of the best ways we can help people who want to make music for money, is to ask them questions.

Here's a sample question:

Why do you want to make money with music?

or

Why aren't you making money yet?

So I'm asking you guys what you would ask this 17 year old? Questions that would lead him to feeling like it's all possible, but also that there is knowledge out there that can help him.

When a train goes through a tunnel and it gets dark, you don't throw away the ticket and jump off. You sit still and trust the engineer.

~ Corrie Ten Boom
Steve Soucy

Re: Extending the Pretend Game

Postby Stevo » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:30 pm

Game?

Did someone same game?
Stevo

Postby Peevette » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:35 pm

Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
Peevette

Postby meatcigars » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:54 am

I'm not being facetious but let's pose another question. The 17 year old in question has been dating the same person for 5 years and wants to get married. What do you say?

Music is great. Is this 17 year old interested in studying music in a university setting? Is it just playing around for a couple of years to see what happens (just like backpacking through Europe)?

What are the REASONS for the 17 y.o.'s choice? And is this person TALENTED and TENACIOUS to make it work?

Believe me, I'm the voice of experience. If it wasn't for punk rock I'd be a fucking television producer now.
meatcigars

Postby Jay » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:34 am

Prunes!
Jay

Postby Krispy » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:32 am

To save time, assume I know everything
Krispy

Postby cjdenecia » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:28 am

if the 17 year old is still listening to me and looking to me for guidance - they have no chance. they best settle in for that accountants degree (no offense peeve).

I'll expect them back to hear some truth after they've hit their mid-20's but in the late teens - they better just about hate hearing my voice.
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby meatcigars » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:18 am

aw gee, I'm such a facetious contentious f***.

Okay, can this 17 year old write and perform as near perfect as "Waterloo Sunset"? If yes, go for it. If not, have a Plan B.
Last edited by Jay on Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please keep f bombs in the Bin
meatcigars

Postby Steve Soucy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:01 pm

When a train goes through a tunnel and it gets dark, you don't throw away the ticket and jump off. You sit still and trust the engineer.

~ Corrie Ten Boom
Steve Soucy

Postby mistertroll » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:44 am

Most seventeen-year-olds don't have a clue what they really want to be, I think.

At seventeen, I thought I was going to be an English professor or a missionary.
Keep your booger hook off the bang switch and nobody gets hurt.

mistertroll

Postby meatcigars » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:33 am

meatcigars

Return to The Biz