[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4554: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4556: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4557: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4558: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
Audio Refugees • View topic - I D Dog Double Dare You to Play a Game of Pretend

I D Dog Double Dare You to Play a Game of Pretend

Business related issues revolving around Independent Music.

I D Dog Double Dare You to Play a Game of Pretend

Postby Steve Soucy » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:17 am

This could be a great hunk of data that be edited to encourage new members to join audiopolis as well, if you guys see fit.

The game is simple.

Pretend you have a 11 yr old nephew (or niece) who REALLY wants to make music for a living. He is asking you for advice.

What do you encourage him to learn?
What would you hope he can avoid?
What would is Ok to spend money on?

What would you advise him to do first, the most important thing of all to get started with?

When a train goes through a tunnel and it gets dark, you don't throw away the ticket and jump off. You sit still and trust the engineer.

~ Corrie Ten Boom
Steve Soucy

Re: I D Dog Double Dare You to Play a Game of Pretend

Postby cjdenecia » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:32 am

you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby Chris K. » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:45 am

Chris K.

Postby Steve Soucy » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:58 am

When a train goes through a tunnel and it gets dark, you don't throw away the ticket and jump off. You sit still and trust the engineer.

~ Corrie Ten Boom
Steve Soucy

Postby cjdenecia » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:01 am

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby Steve Soucy » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:02 am

~ Corrie Ten Boom
Steve Soucy

Postby Steve Soucy » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:03 am

~ Corrie Ten Boom
Steve Soucy

Postby cjdenecia » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:09 am

ok then ... 14 to 16 ... but obviously, cus already chris and I are at odds - define the parameters.

cus being a session musician or a concert pianist is completely different from being a music creator and creative success.

and yeah, I know - how do they know at that age what the end result and payoff that will satisfy them be? well - you're asking so you'll have to set up the scenario based on the personality of the kid. some people are leaders and movers. others are role players and fit better with rules, formalities and technical nuances.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby meatcigars » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:37 am

meatcigars

Postby Chris K. » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:04 am

Chris K.

Postby Jay » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:48 am

Prunes!
Jay

Postby Chris K. » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:26 pm

Chris K.

Postby Mark Kaufman » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:47 pm

Learn to play and sing something all the way through, just you. Most of your teenage friends are learning a single riff here and there, or they're learning how to sing in a choir, or they're practicing scales or chords...all good. But if you learn something you can play alone, start to finish...you'll be one of the few who can.

That, and beware of advice from old people.
Mark Kaufman

Postby Chris K. » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:02 pm

Chris K.

Postby Chris K. » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:10 pm

and let me add one other thing here ... who among this group is a professional in music, theater, art, media, or any of the associated business elements that get folks paid? Who here has a day job in the "arts?" Who makes their living from the arts? If you don't know how to do it, or have some level of professional experience in doing it yourself, how can any of us pretend to understand HOW to educate someone else?
Chris K.

Next

Return to The Biz