[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4554: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4556: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4557: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4558: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
Audio Refugees • View topic - The best lyric what I ever wrote

The best lyric what I ever wrote

Got a story behind your song? Be it technical or creatively speaking? Wanna talk about it? Do it. Here.

The best lyric what I ever wrote

Postby Krispy » Mon May 09, 2011 10:02 am

Continuing the current trend toward shameless self-promotion, today's question is "What's the best lyric you've ever written?" By your own estimation and *so far* of course.
Paste it here (and why not include a contextual music snippet?) for us all to enjoy/discuss/shoot down.
Could be one line or a whole verse/chorus or a whole song. Why is the best?
Maybe it's not be the most poetically superb but the one that means the most to you.

For the benefit of the "Can't possibly..." types, there's bound to be more than one.
To save time, assume I know everything
Krispy

Re: The best lyric what I ever wrote

Postby Mark Kaufman » Mon May 09, 2011 3:12 pm

In my mind, the one to beat would be "The Graveyard of Songs". It seems to have struck a balance (for me anyway) between meaning, honesty, imagery and mystery.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_so ... ID=8015601

The Graveyard of Songs

For every song that’s written there’s a thousand thrown away
They catch a passing breeze and off they fly
They spin and shimmer hopefully, some lucky ones are found
But most are left to shrivel up and die

In the graveyard of songs
Where the orphan tune belongs
And abandoned melodies are laid to rest
What we write is often wrong
Could be weak and could be strong
And sometimes, at our worst, we’ll send our best
To the graveyard of songs
The graveyard of songs

When my restless heart goes roaming through its misbegotten dreams
In search of some forgotten sweet refrain
If the minutes turn to hours till the night devours the day
I’ll give up the ghost and leave it to remain

In the graveyard of songs
Sometimes we even send our very best
The graveyard of songs

I can fish that flowing river
Feel my line rise and shiver
Yet never hook the songs I used to play
But my battered old guitar
Knows exactly where they are
It trembles when I let them slip away

And sometimes we commend our very best
The graveyard of songs
Mark Kaufman

Postby mistertroll » Mon May 09, 2011 11:02 pm

I'm pretty fond of this one...

Keep your booger hook off the bang switch and nobody gets hurt.

mistertroll

Postby HUD » Tue May 10, 2011 1:57 pm

Both Troll's and Koff's tunes are great stuff all around and stand-outs amongst each's repertoire... and for a words-2nd kinda guy, I'm still very immediately aware of their messages.
As I returned across the lands I'd known
I recognized the fields where I'd once played
I had to stop in my tracks for fear
Of walking on the mines I'd laid
HUD

Postby HUD » Wed May 11, 2011 10:11 pm

Here's one from around '92. Always liked the picture these lyrics painted
One that is in my top five for re-do, now that I know a little more about certain things. I still hear a lot of good stuff too though...some pretty solid vocal & piano chops on display :

IMMUNE TO EVERY CURE
words & music - Daniel P Hudelson

You listen to the blindman’s heartache blues
You close your eyes, he’s looking, peeking inside of you
Across the room, so very close to you

On his cluttered stage of this backstreet dive
His rollin’ boogie, that ramblin’ jive
Deaden you, straight talking you and making you come, making you come alive

This hurt that hammers with every beat
An easy flowing anger and a pain so sweet
With every bitter loss, of everything you were sure
That you were immune to every cure

He give that old stuff a new look, a well-worn song
As the blind man saingin about that thrill being gone
You feel a chill, here come the big spill as he’s wailing on

Pleasure in the pain shared, you know what that means
As he reaching for the top with a gentle scream
You peak and you relax and then you float upstream

Yeah, listen to the blindman’s heartache blues
You close your eyes, he’s looking, peeking inside of you
Across the room, so very close to you

“See ya same time tomorrow night, Rebecca Jane”
And it shock you silly that he knows your name
Such is the power of his blues, yeah the power of his blues over that red and white cane

Sweet pain

Alright, he gonna take stroll around your soul now

Wail on, on and on

© Wilfred Studios
Attachments
DH-Immune to Every Cure.mp3
(5.36 MiB) Downloaded 249 times
As I returned across the lands I'd known
I recognized the fields where I'd once played
I had to stop in my tracks for fear
Of walking on the mines I'd laid
HUD

Postby cjdenecia » Wed May 11, 2011 11:51 pm

will add my brilliance later ... and yeah troll, that's a good one. certainly attracted my attention back then.

koff and hud ... interesting choices ... about songs and singers - so to speak - to be honest, not my favorite topics in lyrics. in fact, in some ways, my least fav. but it is easy to appreciate the craft of the word on both offerings. obviously, seasoned writing.

it does seem tho that there's gonna be some variation in style of lyrics - and I know you both have written loads of different ways. I know I'd be curious to see back up choices out of both of you. troll too. all contributors.
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby Krispy » Thu May 12, 2011 8:28 am

Troll already knows I love Let You Go and the lyrics play a large part in that. The song has such a noble sentiment.

Really like the imagery in yours Hud. "Take a stroll around your soul" is rather good.
As is usually the case with you, the song is a totally mental mismatch for the lyrics. Which is what it's all about at the brink of the envelope. 8-)

Koff, your song's sung like a story although the lyrics are more of a commentary. I like the eerie, floaty atmosphere of the first verse.

The lyrics which feature in my own favourites tend to be those which for me still carry the emotion with which they were composed and delivered. Adroitness also comes into it, but then one man's clever is another man's stupid.

As far as whole songs go, I like these:

But it's really the isolated phrase I hold most dear. These lines are from (Switch It Off by Sugarstick)

Built the planet for us just to keep a candle burning...
Blew a hurricane in just to keep the pages turning...
Explanation digs a hole that fills with questions - mmmm, just say you love me.

But I guess the one which best represents what I feel as artistic achievement is this bitter little verse:

Rep_Pres_snippet.mp3
(1.74 MiB) Downloaded 264 times

Knowing that it’s not you that’s ringing the phone
Doesn’t stop me wanting that connection
And wherever you are now I’m sure it’s tidy
As the chaos lies down with me and my affection

Krispy

Postby cjdenecia » Sat May 14, 2011 11:13 pm

well .... for me, it's really a "what have you done lately for me" scenario. having written sooooo many songs over the course of the years, to choose even a dozen favorites or 3 dozen lines would be far too difficult. and each lyric has it's own reason for being among the most of the best of the best ... truly, I know there must be others here that have penned hundreds upon hundreds upon hundreds too so they'd know what I'd mean. conversely, within those, to be sure, there's some complete and total crap. hell, I remember writing one about the IRS called 415 and one called survivor that was about 8 - 8 bar verses full of bad cliches long. horrid stuff. part of a bigger picture yet still not something I even wanna go back and read or recall.

so anyway, I'll add a few times to my "best" but the first is just one I happened upon the other night while looking for something else. it was a song written with old online buddy stratokat back in 06 and it just happened to be about the group of us that had bonded so strongly at gb over the course of the previous few years and what we hoped we could accomplish for ourselves and indie music. so it speaks of lots of people, not the least of which are the original members here at AR - even the current children of the corn.

I don't really consider the verses to be all that special but the prechorus and chorus rings true to me as a good bit of lyricism based on wordflow, storyline and metaphoric value. and they sing pretty well too.

so my first entry to the thread is WALLS CAN'T STAND .....

Walls Can't Stand - Stratakat and Cj Denecia

And so the story goes, if you live long enough
you'll have heard it all before.
but as the sun sets and it's time to give up,
mystery unveils a little more
ohhhh, you can't believe what you see
ohhhh, there's new air to be breathed again
and so it seems you can't go it all alone,
a thousand backs against the wall

prechorus

Lean on me, I will protect you
and you will protect me,
it's all we ever needed
I will lift you we will elevate truth
and you will make me taller than the mountain

chorus

all alone but all in one
everything till it's undone
we're so much more all together
chasing windmills in our lives
pushing limits, crossing lines
walls can't stand forever. can't stand forever.

break

Look through the haze and the days of confusion
unlikely lover on your arm
past the fighting and backbiting grows union
like new old worlds been reborn
ohhhh, you can't believe what you feel
ohhhh, no more secrets concealed, for sure
in the wave of such an evasive time
a thousand teardrops raise the tide

prechorus

chorus

(c) 2006 Rick Jennings, CJ Denecia

ohhh and excuse the old Audio Village vTag, it's the best version of the song I can find.
Attachments
Stratakat_featuring_CjDenecia_Walls_Can't_Stan_vTag192.mp3
(6.75 MiB) Downloaded 245 times

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby cjdenecia » Sat May 14, 2011 11:28 pm

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby pharquartt » Sun May 15, 2011 3:19 am

this is the chorus line from a song i'm (still) working on. it's about 6 years now........sigh.

My mama done told me 'bout dangerous curves
But I never knew what she meant.
She said "Son, you better keep your little brain in reserve."
But that mind was already spent!

there are others........
now is the infinite opposite
pharquartt
Site Admin

Postby Krispy » Sun May 15, 2011 7:07 am

Krispy

Postby Mark Kaufman » Sun May 15, 2011 4:50 pm

Mark Kaufman

Postby cjdenecia » Tue May 17, 2011 10:58 pm

well this is a cozy little thread ain't it?

must be more than a few here not quite exactly proud of their lyrics .... I 'spose ....

anyway, even tho I've stated before - if a lyric is well written and formed - specifically in conjunction with how it plays out in melody, it's quite subjective to me in terms of greatness and worth and all that. I do tend to think if a writer can say what they feel and say it pretty well (eliminating the poorly constructed and non-songwriter type efforts), they have great worth. I may not like the sentiment, mood or story but to say they're bad lyrics is to say a person's thoughts or experiences are bad.

which is sometimes true. but mostly not. it's more in if others can relate to them. and to me, the more the merrier.

with that said, now I'll bring it down. Mudsoul Slave did a song of mine that is pretty damn gloomy but I feel the metaphors and overall imagery is solid. throughout the song but a few lines are actually (if I do say so) brilliant. it's one I wrote in DADGAD tuning and gregg and stephen pumped it up as well as could be done.

Seasons Sigh

One day summer ended
and the stars all fled from the sky
but autumn leaves
weren't red and gold
and silently they cried

winter winds surrounded us
as the sun was turned to ice
the promises pretending
on wings that wouldn't fly

Forever Dies, no resurrection in sight
the seasons sigh,
with no hesitation in my mind

peace of blue was blackened
and the thunder stole the night
the sweetened scent of solitude was burned by lightning strike (strife)

the bending trees stood suffering,
the birds sang songs of fright
and colors painted yesterday,
bled to gray from white

the seasons sigh,

where did it all go, when did it fall
why do we have to know,
that seasons sigh at all

in a moment summer ended
and I can't tell you why
but all that seasons send us,
is lost without new life

every drop of rain that falls,
rusts the hands of time
and all the stormclouds come and go and wash the love from lies

the seasons sigh,
no hesitation in my mind,
no resurrection in sight
the seasons sigh

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby Krispy » Wed May 18, 2011 6:02 am

Krispy

Postby Peevette » Wed May 18, 2011 10:36 am

Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
Peevette

Next

Return to Behind the Music (AR.com style)