[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4554: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4556: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4557: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4558: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
Audio Refugees • View topic - Evolution of a song

Evolution of a song

Got a story behind your song? Be it technical or creatively speaking? Wanna talk about it? Do it. Here.

Re: Evolution of a song

Postby Peevette » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:36 am

Cool thread idea, Jaymz!! Wicked cool!!
Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
Peevette

Postby jaymz » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:19 am

OK, more raw ideas for the end of this song while I figure out the rest of the lyrics and a bridge melody.. This idea is the end (outro). Recorded on my iphone where every other bad idea lies.

12_18_2010 9_45 PM.mp3
(2.6 MiB) Downloaded 198 times
Take that! Hatless!
jaymz

Postby zxyz » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:44 am

I like the fact that it seems to be out of tune and in tune at the same time. That adds some suspense to the song.
Yes it's a shame that we're all under pressure to "sell." It's a shame, ain't it. We can't just all be free to express our musical talents without constraints..
I like your song, man. Extremely cool.
zxyz

Location: Way out there somewhere ... maybe a parallel universe or something somewhat similar ..

Postby jaymz » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:50 am

OK, here is the first version with all the lyrics and music done.. I struggled with about 2% of the lyrics, which is always the case it seems.. so I couldnt do shit with it, until i figured those out.

Originally it was "your maybe misbeliever" which made no sense.. so after 400 iterations of secret dreamer, penis eater, feels right beaver, etc.. i finally came up with "you maybe misbelieve in me" so the song is actually called "maybe misbelieve"

This version isnt' really mixed at all.. just run out of cubase as is and run through a loudness compressor. I'll f with the mix later.
Maybe Misbelieve V1.mp3
(10.86 MiB) Downloaded 197 times
Take that! Hatless!
jaymz

Postby cjdenecia » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:26 am

you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby jaymz » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:08 am

I think you all are just fans!
Take that! Hatless!
jaymz

Postby zxyz » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:40 am

Damn good song Main! With a bit more effort you could compete w/ Big Machines!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
zxyz

Location: Way out there somewhere ... maybe a parallel universe or something somewhat similar ..

Postby cjdenecia » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:22 am

sooo .... listened ....

very well constructed. good arrangement. well performed - tho I am a bit turned off by the verse vocals. (realizing it's a demo excuses that).

mix ain't bad and I understand this is far off the finish ....

but man, it's just so barely yesterday. like you missed by 5 minutes. and I've heard the same song by dozens of bands so many times now that it really just bores me.

lord how I wish you'd take your considerable talents and just think far far outside your box. I wish you'd stop playing copycat and just write something that really stretches and moves you.
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby jaymz » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:33 am

aw cj, you don't think i wrote this song to do anything serious with, do ya? It was just a melody I heard in my head and thought it would be a good idea to document the steps of creating it from raw scratch to completion (which I will share tomorrow or so) and the struggles during the process. admittedly it was supposed to be simple (you know, years of learning queensryche songs jaded me).

I have a bunch of incomplete and slightly more daring ideas that I think are perfect for a further experiment such as this one.. assuming time allows, I will resurrect them and do it again, only this time with more videos n whatnot, showing the entire process.. I can only hope you wonderful people chime in during the process... that's what makes it great!
Take that! Hatless!
jaymz

Postby jaymz » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:54 am

And here is the final version with "my" vocals... which obviously should just be a reference for the real singer (who I understand is actively working on it).

For mixing and mastering, I really only applied a bit of SSL EQ to the guitars, vocals and bass. For vocals I killed 664 hz and 1182 hz which were showing as bad evil presence on the spectrum analyzer.. this (for those of you who don't have this problem) is called "the nasal". I have a very nasally sound to my voice, i usually have to cut some frequencies. For you technical people, I'm using a Q of 1.5 when cutting (by about -3 db).

Guitars I killed the high end with a low pass filter and I swept the bass till I found a good midrange I liked, it's not perfect on the bass guitar but I got bored and moved on.

If you are wondering why the chorus sounds so great (especially the later ones) I simply sang the chorus then copied the main track to a new track and detuned it -9 cents. Fake chorus. If I really wanted to Britney Spears it I would have put VocAlign on it (go ahead, look it up). but I wanted to keep it a bit natural.

Oh yeah, There is a bit of autotune on this song.. it's set for about 70% leniency (meaning most of my real voice comes through). All this really does is smooth out the pitchy jumps that might have happened from syllable to syllable.

For mastering I used Waves L2 and Q10. All Q10 did was roll off me lows so I could increase the volume. L2 did most of the heavy lifting. This is my standard mastering compressor.. not my brick wall method. I figured CJ wouldn't complain as much if I didn't slam everything to the concrete on this one. I just run the song through L2, watch for the peaks, and compress each of the 4 bands respectively till the energy hits about 50%.

Enjoy -

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_6911442
Take that! Hatless!
jaymz

Postby Peevette » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:21 pm

Dude, I just can't understand why you're not making mega bucks from your music. Your stuff is a million times better than what they are playing on the radio these days!!

You're a talented song writer, dude!!
:beer:
Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
Peevette

Postby mistertroll » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:39 am

Jaymz, I've liked everything I've ever heard from you. I don't understand why your tunes aren't in movies and commercials everywhere.

This recording is so much better than the version you put up on Facebook. You really should just go ahead and sing and get rid of that other guy.

Seriously.
Keep your booger hook off the bang switch and nobody gets hurt.

mistertroll

Postby zxyz » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:24 am

zxyz

Postby jaymz » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:23 am

And then in the middle of everything my ADD kicks in.

don't worry, the real thing will be here soon.

Maybe Misbelieve Remix Snip.mp3
(1.45 MiB) Downloaded 200 times
Take that! Hatless!
jaymz

Postby zxyz » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:54 pm

Sounding good. Are you nearing the final polished product?
zxyz

PreviousNext

Return to Behind the Music (AR.com style)