don't do many indie covers but ...

Got a story behind your song? Be it technical or creatively speaking? Wanna talk about it? Do it. Here.

don't do many indie covers but ...

Postby cjdenecia » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:19 am

actually, I don't do any covers except by those that really move me. (and that makes this post appropriate for behind the music)

like noz's "when they drop the bomb" or "french stench" .... but looking for something else tonight, I fell on something I did with gregg (suedepudding) - besides our better publicized bands like mudsoul slave or silhouette soul ... this is one gregg wrote that I loved. and I wanted to sing it cus I love it. what a fabulous melody (IMO). we just never finished my version and I don't recall why after 8 years ....

but for what it's worth - a note that's just you.

CJMix.mp3
(5.28 MiB) Downloaded 114 times
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Re: don't do many indie covers but ...

Postby Krispy » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:11 am

It's not really a cover if you did it with Gregg. If it's the same backing track it's Karaoke, ha ha.
So is there a version with Gregg crooning instead?
To save time, assume I know everything
Krispy

Postby HUD » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:51 pm

Here's what Gregg apparently considers his finished version:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=57769&songID=379955
Can't believe I'm listening to it, wondering if the dude singing is cj or not. Very similar in most regards, but sounding a bit more mastered and chorus harmonies add a lot.
Mostly a cool song...wish the key were up a couple steps, would make the melody shine more. The "trying to turn out the light" line seems to land indecisively. "switching for hurt through the ads" is another example of the same dubiousness.
Interesting lyrics, although I think you once made a comment about not liking songs about songs.
Don't like the drum fill ending.
As I returned across the lands I'd known
I recognized the fields where I'd once played
I had to stop in my tracks for fear
Of walking on the mines I'd laid
HUD

Postby HUD » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:08 pm

I would agree that it's not a cover if you're contributing to the song's first release as with "When We Drop The Bomb".
Speaking of, should get Noz's permission and dust that one off.
As I returned across the lands I'd known
I recognized the fields where I'd once played
I had to stop in my tracks for fear
Of walking on the mines I'd laid
HUD

Postby cjdenecia » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:45 am

HUD wrote:I would agree that it's not a cover if you're contributing to the song's first release as with "When We Drop The Bomb".
Speaking of, should get Noz's permission and dust that one off.

an old topic and song .... but worth the time. I did get noz to upload the band and song but that's about it.

I miss my ol' best friend. dorky nerd that he is.

of course, I'd be remiss not to mention that he and gregg have taught me about 75% of what I know about recording/mixing/production in the digital age.
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby ptalbot » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:03 am

That's a cool song, although I'm not sure in your case it qualifies as a cover...

Only thing that rubbed me the wrong way was the mandolin doubled by the distorted lead, I didn't like the tone combination.
And I'm with Hud on the drum fills at the end... totally unnecessary, I would cut it.

Your vocal is rougher than gregg's but actually I think that's more an EQ thing, there's some bad frequency in there that you could probably cut to get a better tone...

Still, it tickles nicely between the ears, cool melody and nice laid-back groove.
Kudos to both of you!
ptalbot

Return to Behind the Music (AR.com style)