[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4554: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4556: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4557: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4558: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
Audio Refugees • View topic - militant lezbo

militant lezbo

The old AudioRefugee Review Forum - where we kept the fire burning for a few years while we were building the Audiopolis Review System and website.

militant lezbo

Postby HUD » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:42 am

Rick/Pharq might just kick my arse for posting this, but it's a song that he wrote and recorded the arrangement for which yours truly has vox-ed...
The thing about it is that the militant lezbo in discussion no longer has that same vocation...but dammit sez I, we're talking important libray history here...and the composition has some damn fine ingenious shit by the duckface dude...so sue me for posting this, Rick!

(1)
She was a MILITANT LESBIAN ACOUSTICAL CHICK & PARTIME BITCH
A librarian with P-chopping style
She drove the Loony Bin wild.
And if you step out of line,
She’ll write you up and charge you a fine.
(2)
She was that MILITANT LESBIAN ACOUSTICAL CHICK & PARTIME BITCH
So respectable, her hair in a bun.
I think that’s why they call her Hun.
And if you don’t wipe your shoes,

(bridge)
Well, nothing could be crueler
Than a 24” ruler when it’s wielded by her.
So don’t be making a ruckus
Or she’ll whip your little tookus and toss you right out on your ear.
She’s the judge, she’s the boss, and she’ll nail you to the cross.
If you can’t take the heat, you’ll be out on the street.
But when you get her on stage, that girl is the rage with her wicked acoustic guitar.
Keeps you tapping your feet, that girl don’t miss a beat.
Someday she’s gonna go far.
But for now, it’s the books, and the kids dirty looks.
She’ll go back to the joint and get right to the point.
(3)
Cuz she’s a MILITANT LESBIAN ACOUSTICAL CHICK & PARTIME BITCH
Dewy decimal is her language of love.
She rules the place with fisted glove.
So mind your P’s and your Q’s, and pay respect to where it is due.
Cuz if ya can’t get a clue, she’ll take her sword and chop you in two!

This mix is just me throwing my vox over the mix he sent me, but there are some elements that I think are worthy of consideration.
As I returned across the lands I'd known
I recognized the fields where I'd once played
I had to stop in my tracks for fear
Of walking on the mines I'd laid
HUD

Re: militant lezbo

Postby pharquartt » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:06 am

you're a sick man....... :mad:

now is the infinite opposite
pharquartt
Site Admin

Postby slywitt » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:45 pm

catchy tune as far as militant lesbian tunes go... I may be going out on a limb here but it might be my FAVORITE song about a militant lesbian librarian with a bun....

on a technical level, i wish you hadn't used so much reverb on the vocals. I had a hard time making out the words.
Orationem pulchram non habens, scribo ista linea in lingua Latina
slywitt

Postby cjdenecia » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:39 pm

well this is fun .....

to begin with, I hate the mix - what more can I say about that? the levels for this and that are just all wrong across the board and the eq seems a bit convoluted because of it and sly's right that D sho'nuff loves his slap-back verb almost as much as dirt loves his cathedral verb ....

but that's all secondary on this I think cus I'm sure this ain't nothing but an initial "hey, lemme give that a sing-song and let's see what happens" mix.

the song is damn fun. the ideas are solid and the arrangement is good ... and the style is right up my alley as a secret lounge jazz lover - which is exactly what this is .... in fact, this one would fit right in with my Pinstripes project with deano (remember him? he's doing fine BTW, just involved in too much life - but hopefully working on song 2 from the stripes ...)

point is that it's got a bit of swing, a bit of jazz, a bit of big band, a bit of 40's, a bit of rat pack and a bit of good old fashioned good times blues ain't always blusey. couple that with the fact that the ex-archbishop wraps his vocal folds around this one as well as any I've heard him sing and the possibility that it is in fact, THE BEST song about zo ever written (I don't think Elton knew her when him and bernie wrote the bitch is back).

hud, you seem comfy as hell .... like it's the perfect range for you. not that it isn't ambitious cus it's got some good dynamics to it and that makes up for the lack of variation on the notes of the melody, a little intimacy here and a little growl there .... damn good. I would love to hear this vocal take sans the fx saturation.

rick - nice arrangement man. tho it's hardly an original composition (not saying it's stolen or covered, only that it's nearly a standard like most of this style would have to be or it wouldn't be this style), it's got meat and the whole idea of highlighting the horns for it works well with hud's voice and the overall vibe.

I'd like to hear this with your new toys and less wax on dear dan. plus a considered mix and mastering. cus it's actually cool.

has dingle heard it yet?
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby HUD » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:01 am

a few nouns and gerunds , but no verb on the vox:
As I returned across the lands I'd known
I recognized the fields where I'd once played
I had to stop in my tracks for fear
Of walking on the mines I'd laid
HUD

Postby pharquartt » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:50 am

pharquartt
Site Admin

Postby cjdenecia » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:52 am

oh yeah, oh yeah - mucho bettah!

hell, even the overall mix sounds better (still has issues tho) without the wash creeping into every nook and cranny ....

good one!
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby Krispy » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:00 am

Very enjoyable. I was advised not to listen to the first mix, but I trust from the comments this was an improvement. The archbishop is on great form and the backing band slick and grinning. :thumb:
To save time, assume I know everything
Krispy

Postby NayNay » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:09 pm

I'm still grinning and bouncing. What a great arrangement! Hud, I had no idea you had such a smooth titillating voice. Rick baby, you always amaze me with your arrangements. And those fun lyrics had me smiling even more. Sometimes it's nice to listen to a song that was written and performed in a whimsical tone without jeapordizing the quality of performance. Makes me wanna be a militant lezbo and part time bitch :thumb:
Official AR Groupie
NayNay

Postby Krispy » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:22 pm

To save time, assume I know everything
Krispy

Postby NayNay » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:29 pm

Official AR Groupie
NayNay

Postby shankarji » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:55 pm

God help us if the bish and ol' bluey ever got together in the same studio...the place would be dripping with schmooze, tuxedos, raised eye-brows, half grins and cocktail waitresses ready to lay down their panties in the cause of smooth jaaaaazz!

Y'know...rick is a genius at this sort of thing and you've just got to stand back in admiration of his arrangements and instrumentation. I'm no huge fan of jazz, mainly because my dad was a dyed-in-the-wool, card carrying member of the "swing" club..."It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing" was thrust down my throat from the very first time I brought a Beatles album home. So I was honour bound, as a rebellious teenager, to hate jazz. I have mellowed in recent years and I can now listen to Ella/Charlie/Miles etc without getting too fidgety.

But I digress...like I said, the arrangment and instrumentation sounds perfectly pukka to me...I've no idea if these are real instruments or not...if they're real they sound cool...if they're not, the skill with which they're made to sound real, is only to be admired. Great work rick...the bluesy arrangement really appealed to me and I enjoyed it very much.

Vocals? Well the de-verbed version is so much better...the lyrical content comes over much clearer and the timbre of the hudster's voice and his jazzy, stylish vibrato are much more easily appreciated. Let's face it...singers usually overload their vocals with reverb when they're lacking a little confidence, figuring it makes them sound less like what they really sound like. But the bish has no need to go there...the voice is perfect for the genre.

Fun and entertaining offering guys...I'm sure the lady herself would love it!
A guy at work bought a car out of the paper. Ten years later, Bam! Herpes.Peter Griffin
shankarji

Postby pharquartt » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:33 am

thanks, gang, for the kind words, and hud, for the style.

this was a "weekend wonder" that i threw together for Zo as a gag/gift and never got to see the light, except for her (you can date the song by the lyrics). she immediately stopped talking to me, but i managed to get back into her good graces.....eventually.

i sent it to the bishop for a rework. i suppose now, i should redo the bloody thing and make it sound better and then have the esteemed Hudster lay his hands on it again (this time sober!)

maybe, then, we could entice our favorite lezbo librarian to rejoin us?
pharquartt
Site Admin

Postby mistertroll » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:45 am

Definitely better without the verb.

There's a couple of spots where I'd bet the vocal phrasing would change with repeated performances. It doesn't feel like you're completely settled into it yet.

The Pharq and Hud pairing sounds good. You complement each other's styles really well. It's definitely a good enough tune and arrangement to be worthy of the time and effort to fine-tune and polish it up.
Keep your booger hook off the bang switch and nobody gets hurt.

mistertroll

Postby jaymz » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:17 am

Kill the reverb on the vox.

Send the track to me, i wont compress the hell outta it.

This is good.

Very good.

KILL THE REVERB!
Take that! Hatless!
jaymz

Next

Return to REVIEWS! (Pre-Audiopolis Review System Days)