[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4554: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4556: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4557: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4558: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
Audio Refugees • View topic - Fiddleheadin'

Fiddleheadin'

The old AudioRefugee Review Forum - where we kept the fire burning for a few years while we were building the Audiopolis Review System and website.

Fiddleheadin'

Postby Peevette » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:48 am

So, Hoss and I are having this conversation one day and he says to me, "We need to do something in the style of Dan Hicks and the Hot Licks." Of course I give him my usual 'you're-a-crazy-man' look, but tell him it could be fun, go for it!!

So, my friends, here is the latest creation from Hoss von Liederhosen's brain; a song about a Northern Maine Spring tradition of going down by the river side and picking fiddleheads. (they're wicked good eatin')

Please allow me to introduce to you Hoss and the Hossettes performing for your listening pleasure, Fiddleheadin. All comments are welcome. Hope you enjoy listening to the tune as much as we did recording it.

Fiddleheadin'.mp3
(6.31 MiB) Downloaded 281 times
Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
Peevette

Re: Fiddleheadin'

Postby steban » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:37 am

Cool song, Hoss and Peev!

Funny thing, on the Sunday evening after the New Orleans Jazz Fest ended, my buddy Jim really wanted to go eat more crawfish (we had free crawfish at a sidewalk party the previous night), but alas, nothing was open, so instead we went to this bakery/sandwich shop/bar opened since 1922, they were familiar with. When we placed our order the owner asked us for a famous musician they would use to call out our order. Well, for whatever reason he had Dan Hicks on his mind and gave him that name. The owner then proceed to tell us how many famous people he had met in his life and stated he had met Dan on several occasions and he was a bit of an a*hole, as opposed to Kinky Friedman who was a pretty nice guy.

This is not to say it tainted our opinion of Dan and his Hot Licks' music, but it was just NO funny.

That anectdotal story aside, I am quite tickled by this song. Peev, you make a great Hot Lick, and Hoss, what else can I say? He's a kind of musical genius that I just happen to always adore.

Instrumentally he is right on when it comes to delivering ole Dan. Melodically and lyrically and arrangementwise he delivers with uncanny precision.

You most likely infuse so much on your own, Peev, it sounds kind of low key, this sort of style, but I think it is nothing short of extraordinary.

I can hardly wait to turn Jim on to this one, just precious.

Thank you!

Oh, I had to google fiddlehead, never heard of it, but the concept reminded me of ramps, which my great uncle had exposed me to as a child, so I googled 'fiddlehead ramp', and lo and behold there were many recipes. Now I'm not sure I can find any in Texas or I'd be cooking this song's recipe ASAP!!!!!!
steban

Postby Jay » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:24 am

Well, Hoss definitely has a musical world view. Not much to say about the songwriting since, musically, it's basically rhythm changes, and lyrically it's... well, it's Hoss. I found myself distracted by your bg vox, Peev, because of the way they're panned/mixed. They're super dry, and since there're only two bg vox panned fairly hard, they really stick out in the mix. I'd add just a touch more verb and pan 'em closer to center (I hear there're a couple of very brief moments where the bg vox are pretty much center). You're occasionally pitchy, so this mix makes that pitchiness stick out even more.

I think this track would work better for me if it were just executed better. Since it's a just-for-fun lyric set to cliché chord changes, it really needs the performance to lift it from mundane to special; I don't expect it to connect much emotionally, so I need to hear some nice performances at least. It's almost impossible not to compare this to much of the music you hear on Prarie Home Companion, and the PHC music is almost always very well-played/sung, so with that inevitable comparison (for me), I'm afraid this track comes off as sub-par. I know Hoss enjoys playing almost any instrument he gets his hands on, but his lack of comfort with some of the instruments is a little too apparent on this track as the groove is shaky. Might be better to invite some players who specialize in some of Hoss' weaker instruments in order to get a tighter-sounding track.
Prunes!
Jay

Postby steban » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:09 pm

Have you ever listened to DHAHHL, Jay?

I would venture to guess you would raise the same issues to the original songs.

My point being Dan's band was never popular for their sheer virtuosity, and they weren't all that popular overall. But they were funny, accessible, and faked it pretty good most of the time. And definitely their most musical did not equal their most enjoyable songs.

The Hot Licks, the Floosies (Kinks Preservation Act II), the B-52s, some of my fav female vocals of all time, and they wouldn't get far on The Voice nor are their recordings stellar. They nonetheless, to me, are downhome intelligent sexy listenable, and Celine and Britney, for all their talent and overproduction, are not and have never been.

Other than that, I completely agree with you!
steban

Postby cjdenecia » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:08 pm

now now stebs, I'm not saying you've stepped over any lines (mostly cus there aren't any) but let's be real careful about reviewing reviews and reviewers please. I haven't even listened to the song yet so I wouldn't argue one way or the other even if I wanted to. and I don't.

I'm pretty sure jay is aware enough of his own opinion to voice it. as are you. I doubt most of us will be any too swayed by another reviewers thoughts .... feel free to voice your likes as often and as adamantly as you wish but be very mindful of the fact that others have a legitimate right to feel differently.

btw - betcha dollars to donuts jay is a far bigger b-52's fan than you'd guess.
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby Jay » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:39 pm

Prunes!
Jay

Postby Peevette » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:33 pm

Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
Peevette

Postby steban » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:54 am

It's all cool.
steban

Postby pharquartt » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:11 am

only people from upper Maine would make a song about ferns..... :tard:

scary part is, i undertand the song now. :eek:

nice licks!
now is the infinite opposite
pharquartt
Site Admin

Postby cjdenecia » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:46 am

conceptually - it's great. I like the arrangement of the parts - the way the vocals change focus from the backing parts to the lead vocal and how the instrumentation is in a bit of a support role to the story and all ... and the mix ain't bad but does have some flaws in that it seems a bit too flat in mood except for the panned female vox that rise a bit too over the line to be considered backing vocals.

the thing is ... for some reason, probably the lack of logical ear dynamics (rise and fall), the song seems longer than the actual length. as if I felt it needed to be shorter if it is gonna exist on this very plateau'd soundscape.

the instrumental track sometimes seems muddy and undefined. and quite narrow in frequency .... no sparkling highs and no deep lows and basically just a little washed out in between.

fiddle seemed like it maybe missed a few notes along it's path. like it is in the box of the key but truly missed some important notes to fill and flush it out to make it really hooky and natural. as it stands it's ok but maybe just not what the creator intended for it to be. case inpoint is that the acoustic lead action generally filled that solo register well. the fiddle fell short.

on the low end ... it almost sounds as if there is a bass in the song but it appears as if it's more just the bass notes on the guitar filling the part. a dedicated bass track with a good overall low end attack doing a walk around would add loads. not that the walking of the lower notes isn't right - cus it is, more that it just sounds like it's an afterthought instead of a highlight.

the lead vocal - hoss, pretty much spot on in it's simplistic humorous approach. a bit of deadpan, a bit of camp, a bit of modest "this is me" delivery that works. no venturing out of any comfort zones and no particularly standout lines but more just a take me as I come approach. good idea as the voice doesn't command the wordsand melody as much as guide the story.

the secondary parts - peeve ... do vary from spot on strong to "did you mean to do that" moments. at times, it's hard to tell if it's dissonance you were aiming for or if you were just a sliver under the notes .... to achieve successful dissonance, it has to be edgy and demanding and it seems tentative. making it sound like maybe it's just not there. and yes, being so hard panned, it's in your face and makes it a bit uncomfortable those who ear makes the head twitch a bit when some tnotes don't hit the mark completely.

love the way the interaction between the lead vocal, the backing vocal and the secondary voices fit in - quirky parts all create a moment in time in the song. only can wish that all the parts were completely happening ...

bottom lline - liked the concept. got the joke. but I'm not signing up for the mailing list. it needs some commercial viability to work against the quirk to hit home and it just misses the mark.
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby Mark Kaufman » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:14 pm

KICK ASS rendition of the Dan Hicks style! Makes me wanna head out and find some old favorite gems...I love the one about the aliens...

Anyway, this nice and loose, as it should be for the style. Nice and relaxed and whimsical. Hell, it makes me feel like I'm wined up enough to be actually listening to Prairie Home Companion, while cooking Saturday dinner or something. But in a good way.

Great fun. Are there any instruments you DON'T have in that house??
Mark Kaufman

Postby Steve Ison » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:56 pm

This is really enjoyable n fun-Great track...Sounds just like a classic from the 40s-which is about the best compliment i can think of for what you're trying to do here
Cool chord changes n bass totally in keeping with the style-and those fabulous spot-on harmonies exactly creating the period vibe..There's a real 'live' feel to it thats impossible not to enjoy-sweet fiddle..
Sweet
Keepin' it unreal
Steve Ison

Postby slywitt » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:39 pm

Someone else already said it, but I was thinking "Sounds like it should be on Prarie Home Companion" before I read it.

It was just plain fun. I enjoyed Hoss' singing and playing and Peeve was wonderful as usual.

Nitpicking - There were a few notes where the bv's seemed to clash with the main vocal a hair near the beginning (maybe before I got used to them)...maybe a hint of verb would fix it? The violin was way better than I could ever imagine playing but there were a few hesitations off the beat...wouldn't have noticed but the rhythm seemed so tight everywhere else.

...but like I said, I've heard MUCH worse on the radio. This would have gotten a standing ovation from that PHC crowd.

And, maybe best of all... it's something different. I ALWAYS enjoy what Hoss brings to the table.
Orationem pulchram non habens, scribo ista linea in lingua Latina
slywitt

Return to REVIEWS! (Pre-Audiopolis Review System Days)