[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4554: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4556: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4557: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4558: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
Audio Refugees • View topic - Here Come The Strange

Here Come The Strange

The old AudioRefugee Review Forum - where we kept the fire burning for a few years while we were building the Audiopolis Review System and website.

Here Come The Strange

Postby Steve Ison » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:09 pm

My new song...All comments appreciated

All music/lyrics Steve Ison

Like a ghost in a paint-blue sky
I'm drawing you from other men
hiding in the empty

I see its so-yeh it aint no lie
All your dreams and promises
Frightened to be set free

OO Here Come The Strange
OO Here Come The Strange
For all you know ( x 2)

Young and old i'm an ancient child
Just like you for all its worth
Reaching out and falling

Everybody thinks they're cool as hell
in t.v worlds where i'm alone
waiting for the morniing

OO Here Come The Strange
OO Here Come The Strange
For all you know ( x 2)

Laughing woman i've been wrapped
around your finger
I've been holding out for you again
Laughing woman i'm a smiler of a singer
i've been hoping for i don't know when
but i'll see you then..
Attachments
Here Come The Strange.mp3
(5.89 MiB) Downloaded 206 times
Keepin' it unreal
Steve Ison

Re: Here Come The Strange

Postby cjdenecia » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:20 am

Ha ha HA! welcome steve ison, to the world of well done and produced DIY recording!!!

we've been waiting patiently for you, hoping you'd find your way and by george, you have. I may not absolutely adore every mix decision you've made and you might not have totally hit the mark in your own ear's eye but I gotta say, this is an absolutely great step in getting your music across as the best it can be sonically steve. congratulations.

from the well balanced vocals with just the right amount of compression (whether done manually or with plug ins) to the pleasurable panning job on the instrumental bed to the good sound you've achieved on all the parts. nice acoustic capture, obviously a "pick up" job vs solely a microphone .... even the tambourine is recorded and mixed well.

I see what you were attempting to get with the big chorus verb on the vocals - tho I I'm not totally in love with it - I see it. I think with some added experience you'll get how to achieve the intent and still keep it less abrupt a change and more fluid in sound. this may be exactly what you want right now but with a bit more playing around, you'll probably learn how to make the verb a bit more transparent while maintaining the presence of the voice AND the effect. I really do completely love the vocal lines where you totally dried them up tho steve - pure you and no window dressing and trust me, it's strong and intimate yet bold and edgy. good stuff sound wise.

the song ... and the performance .... ? well, I really don't guess you could play it and sing any better. you've gotten your voice's nuances into the melody very well and allowed me to look into your personality in doing so. great choices on wordflow and tho the lyrics don't make obvious perfect sense, they tell a story of sorts that supports the music fully. or should I say the music supports the intended story well ...

btw - did you double the lead vocal on the verses? if so - great tight job.

fabulous job of taking the simple reoccurring lines of the song instrumentally into a nice groove by moving the melody focus around. and I just adore that dry vocal approach to the bridge and for that matter, the chorus. that's hip. and your melody, tho off your beaten path, invites me into the song big time. a couple of odd choices for the progression leads the vocals down a relatively familiar but far out sorta psychedelic vibeness.

it doesn't have a big hook nor does it really have a significant amount of tension due to dynamics but it does sit there and please please me with it's slight haunt contradicting it's whimsical side. it's obvious ison. not a textbook clone of your past but it carries your signature on it that's just not ever going to be a bad thing. always melodic and always a bit exploratory even when it's traveling down the path that isn't exactly paved with boring intentions but doesn't try to pretend it's any too clever. which sorta makes it clever. it is that balance that you must subconsciously try to find. frequently, and in this case, successfully.

nice use of backing vocals throughout.

and nice bari touch.

if I have a complaint, it's that the little chordal acoustic solo territory doesn't explore much. and you didn't nail getting that front and center across the frequency front ... loads more compression is necessary there.

really good up to par ison here. a few twists but not so many to make the song seem hard to digest and learn to love.
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby steban » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:07 pm

I keep looking over my shoulder, I hear these background super low rumbles like a door closing in another room, which is no complaint! Maybe that ghost...

Very poetic lyrically, and it suits me so fine. It has several hooks as I hear it. Melodically, lyrical sound bytes like laughing woman and become strange, and that low bg vox after I don't know when, for instances.

The strange chorus has a very retro vibe, Steve. The guitar is beautifully flawed. Laughing is like a bonus chorus. I come away almost mesmerized, impressed by its simplicity and complexity simultaneously. Rock so palatable I'm tempted to call it pop as I repeatedly listen to it.

What a wonderful musical gift to discover after my vacation. Thanks so much!
steban

Postby Steve Ison » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:36 pm

Keepin' it unreal
Steve Ison

Postby Steve Ison » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:45 pm

Keepin' it unreal
Steve Ison

Return to REVIEWS! (Pre-Audiopolis Review System Days)