[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4554: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4556: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4557: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4558: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
Audio Refugees • View topic - Like Stealing

Like Stealing

The old AudioRefugee Review Forum - where we kept the fire burning for a few years while we were building the Audiopolis Review System and website.

Re: Like Stealing

Postby charvie » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:27 am

Light a man a fire and he's warm for a night, set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life
charvie

Postby Krispy » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:19 pm

I'd hoped no one would take my words personally and feel obliged to come up with reasons/excuses; it's just a discussion I wanted to open.
Thanks for the link Steve; I had a shufti and it seems like a good thing they've got going but I think I'd miss the the brutal honesty I've come to know here. I don't do politically correct very well. I'm also feeling too lazy to sign up and then take the time to introduce myself. But you never know.

What disheartens me in particular here is the behaviour of some semi-regulars who only seem to turn up when they want reviews, say that they've no time to review but then post a dozen replies in their own threads.
When you look around the net there seem to be musicians everywhere, in the main self-absorbed but some able to at least feign an interest in what other artists do. People like cj, who are genuine listeners, able to communicate that effectively, and willing to give without getting are few and far between. We do have a small collection of those here, probably more than average. But is this pond now too small for the bigger fish?
To save time, assume I know everything
Krispy

Postby charvie » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:26 pm

Maybe this is one of those topics that need to be discussed and find out why. CJ always been the giver out of the bunch here, regardless of personal feelings about the artist, the art should always get a fair shake, and cj has led by example on that over and over as have a couple others. I'm interested in finding out what makes others tick on this topic.
Light a man a fire and he's warm for a night, set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life
charvie

Postby Jay » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:56 pm

Prunes!
Jay

Postby Krispy » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:02 pm

Krispy

Postby HUD » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:41 pm

okay, I confess....probably about 4 of the d/l's are mine. Easier than browsing for the file. So now I'm feeling like I'm being watched.
I think my brain likes this number more than my heart. I hear the intro and I think of whoever the hell did "Groove is in the Heart", who I thought did some cool stuff. Some unpredictable turns of melody and chord which are evidence that this girl's intuition can find ways that have musicality beyond what she claims to be her shortcomings in musicianship.
Can't say I'm too crazy about the shuffly drum pattern with the nothing else really acknowledging its groove at the start--it just sounds like fruit loops/Acid drums like a lot of so-so Garageband recordings I've heard. This does begin to feel better after awhile when the bass starts boppin' a little more. The telephoney vocal effect is something that also reminds me of too many GB.com songs, an effect that ran its course long ago. Should only be used as a brief cameo appearance, at most, in a song.
Everything is razor-sharp tight, really like alot of the bass playing, and the high riffs are an inspiration to bassists wherever they might be.
As Kim-centric tunes go, I'd say this one's probably not among the elite, although it maintains her typical high standard, as well as bringing out good performances from the "real musicians" per usual.
As I returned across the lands I'd known
I recognized the fields where I'd once played
I had to stop in my tracks for fear
Of walking on the mines I'd laid
HUD

Postby cjdenecia » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:56 am

.... and me with one foot in the room and one in the hall ....

first cus I did help with production, I'll mention the mix job - and it's simple. good.

tho there are some extra additional sounds brought in that actually do work quite well (except the spoon fall - which just doesn't sound like a spoon falling), it's a rather stingy mix despite a constant barrage of drums, bass, keys and guitars ...it's all well placed and adequately separated sonically. the initial drum sound and intro otherwise leads one to believe the song is gonna be one thing but that's swept away quickly by the vocal entry. a pretty stark change but it grabs the attention and then tells ya what it's gonna be by giving you slow motion, easy and gentle whiplash. the natural volume rise of the chorus raises the whole dynamic without muddying things up. and then back to the verse with a more spacious vibe. which if you're paying attention, is still the way to arrange and mix a pop song.

the vocal mix is a bit different for ms krispy but in my opinion - a more mature than past history twist of knobs. a more seasoned ear deciding on things .... knowing how to tease the imagination by hinting with parts vs either a full choral mix and/or artsy presentation. it's all there but not in your face. except when it is.

instrumentally speaking, there's no denying that the drums have a bit of loop city written on them. and to be honest, it doesn't actually bug me - partially cus I've heard way worse classic digital kits and partially cus I think from what I hear of the 2 sidemen, and how their 2 styles do mesh, to add another personality based addition to the song might have given it a few too many pieces to put together musically ... this simple but relatively unassuming kit leads but doesn't ask for unwanted attention.

basswise... some really killer lines that seem to want to find a jazzy blues base but instead humbles itself to hold the low at times but stand and show at other moments. and funk the hell out of moments (within but not for the entire chorus) ... in a manner of speaking - cus it's a overall team oriented sound, one of jay's best parts yet that I've heard cus it's totally cool and shows it's musicality but stays in the song. plus, the simple riffing of the bass solo is a breath of fresh air and is just something that you don't hear that much of anymore. it helps the song sound unique in the sea of carp that makes up other efforts by folks trying to approach this offbeat intellectual pop style.

the keys and guitars .... well, the chords may be kim's concoction but the approach and the attack is vintage suedepudding. melodic and harmonic nuances drift around the parts that seem pretty simplistic when listened to as a whole picture in the song but when listening closely - it's obvious that some of the color and flavor of the tune owe big time to the way gregg played it. even down to the extra guitar that dirties up the chorus and bridge.

for 2 excellent musicians of different backgrounds - who to my knowledge, haven't really played together before, the result of this song is pretty much testimony that they both can bring their own styles into a project but work as a cohesive musical team. with a pretty good amount of emotional addition as well as technical prowess.

and it's all built directly around kim's melody and vocals. which, as noted - are typically not typical. though I am quite used to and love the verse melody now, the first few times I heard it I was pleasantly but shockingly alarmed at it's approach. (the melody) the thing is, it's really not all that unique, there are many instances of singers going her way but the difference is - she makes it believable as a musical choice vs a mistake. and I knew it from my first listen - I was a bit uncomfortable with some of it - but knew I'd catch the vocal groove and love it after just a few turns through. and I did. making it more of a long term keeper than something that gives you immediate gratification. and therefore - might make one suffer from burnout after just a few listens. as well, the performance is a very experienced and crafted presentation that doesn't lack for dynamics nor appropriate emotional swaying and bobbing .... tho it's not a boring and tedious technical piece of perfection, it does show an obvious conviction for it's storyline.

which is probably too deep for a great number of folks to grasp at first, or second or even third grasp without divine intervention. or a lyric sheet plus crib notes which lead the brain to kim's somewhat uneven but artsy frame of mind. but she makes you wonder and therefore think and with a song like this - is probably just what she wanted - so mission accomplished, send me the bill.

backing vocals ... well I touched on them earlier but will say in addition, though they are still obviously kim's style, this time, she ventured just a tad bit towards more contemporary offerings with them and rightly so cus if she'd gone too discordant, she's have had some trouble finding parts that worked with the bass and keys, guitars.

I dunno, I've seen that some feel this isn't "single" material but with a slight redo or addition, I think that's off base. no, it's no first or second single but it's possible it could fit in as a great fourth or fifth single release from a 12 song cd. and because it'll take so long to register it's coolness with the average joe, it could also stick out the longest.

but it's needs a final 3rd chorus to drive that hook home. it's got a nice rise, it's pretty big and it's catchy. and with that addition would be a sleeper hit.

and I like the phone bit - can't imagine it with a different effect. sure can't see with no special fx - too bland.

kim continues to develop musically as a full songwriter and jay and gregg continue to show why they are some of the best around at what they do. it's not average easy to grasp fare but it's not so far out there that one needs a hubble to really see and understand it's appeal. if a listener is looking to find the familiar and safe haven offered up female singer/songwriters -they came to the wrong place at the wrong time but that isn't a bad thing.

cus the song is actually very very good.
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby Krispy » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:59 am

Krispy

Postby pharquartt » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:18 am

now is the infinite opposite
pharquartt
Site Admin

Postby slywitt » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:16 pm

sorry Kim, I'll give it a listen in a day or so... I had some kind of 'musical depression' where I couldn't stand the thought of playing, writing, or listening. I seem to be coming out of it... this happens to me every decade or so...
Orationem pulchram non habens, scribo ista linea in lingua Latina
slywitt

Postby mistertroll » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:37 am

Keep your booger hook off the bang switch and nobody gets hurt.

mistertroll

Postby Krispy » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:55 am

No worries Sly. I've had so much going on over the past few days I haven't even thought about music to be honest.
Krispy

Postby steban » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:11 pm

Well, I'm finally getting back on track, K. Broke my arm on my cross country trip on Friday the 13th. There's so much to catch up on, and my usual bad typing is even more impaired. I'm feeling inclined to brevity.

But I think you guys did a bang up job on this, it is like prog jazz in a very planned way. The scratches add more fusion of style, I'm not missing the rapping. Your sweet voice speaking up, speaking out, not weak in the least. I want to slip it into the middle of the mix, to break up my norm, because I like it, I appreciate it, and yet it is on the edge of my tastes, saved by its experimentality. Reminds me of Glowbridge from GB days.

You retain your trademark sound, that's good, as you teeter on the cusp of regular, soft music and uncomfortably accusative emotion. Like Blues for Allah for some reason.
steban

Postby slywitt » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:51 pm

As I'm finally starting to pull my head out of my ass, this is a nice return to the world of music.

I absolutely love the dark and quirky piano chords, how you float above and around them and pull it all into the chorus. The bass stood out as a terrific job.

The drums were at times a bit distracting to me at changes. Even though it's 'been done', I enjoyed the vocal effects because they were right for this tune.

I, of course, enjoyed the vocal performance. The only thing I'd change is there were a couple of times where you kind of went 'too perfect'.... instead of being in the song, it was like you didn't want to tread on it's feet a few times. I'm not sure if that makes any sense. For the most part I found you quite emotive, 'cept for those little bits.

This also struck me as perhaps the most "Beatlesque" thing I've heard from you. It's kind of like a Kate Bush/John Lennon colab.

Cool tune!
Orationem pulchram non habens, scribo ista linea in lingua Latina
slywitt

Postby jaymz » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:52 am

As far as the performance goes, everything is fine.. spot on as you people overseas might say. Kim's vox are very well sung and instruments are played very well.

but...

I can't tell if the song sucks or if it's just not my thing. I'm leaning towards the later.

I wasn't able to follow it very well and at times it didn't make musical sense to me, a little bit of a tough listen. However, some parents have ugly children who don't seem that bad over time, is this something like that?

But, it is eclectic, and I think that is the point, so I may not be the best to review.

I just think as a song, it misses the listener and tries too hard to cater to the players.
Take that! Hatless!
jaymz

PreviousNext

Return to REVIEWS! (Pre-Audiopolis Review System Days)