[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4554: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4556: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4557: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4558: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
Audio Refugees • View topic - Audio Refugees - the song

Audio Refugees - the song

The old AudioRefugee Review Forum - where we kept the fire burning for a few years while we were building the Audiopolis Review System and website.

Audio Refugees - the song

Postby slywitt » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:27 pm

Ok..here's one on which I've been working. Although I'd love to flesh it out more, I'm stumped for ideas. I came . . <- that close to putting it in the icollab forum but that thread is even deader than this one, so I'll post it here for review, but if anyone wants to 'produce' or add something, please jump in... consider this a dual review/icollab post.

Yeh... I was thinking of y'all in the lyrics.

refugee2.mp3
(2.84 MiB) Downloaded 231 times
Orationem pulchram non habens, scribo ista linea in lingua Latina
slywitt

Re: Audio Refugees - the song

Postby HUD » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:40 pm

catchy, singalongish tune.
right now, some of the lyrics are hard to catch, particularly those quick little flurries of syllables - and I do like the feel of those flurries. One more go-round of chorus chords where a 3 part harmony Brian May type guitar melody loosely based on the chorus would be a nice insertion...I'd be happy to give you that if you'd like.
Maybe a AR version of a "We are the World" choir would work in somewhere perhaps.
You're only at 2:04 in duration, so we got time yet.
As I returned across the lands I'd known
I recognized the fields where I'd once played
I had to stop in my tracks for fear
Of walking on the mines I'd laid
HUD

Postby zxyz » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:49 am

You do Brian May? I do Brian May too. I can possibly see something happening here ..
(that came out wrong.. but , you know what I mean ) ..
zxyz

Location: Way out there somewhere ... maybe a parallel universe or something somewhat similar ..

Postby cjdenecia » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:31 pm

you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby slywitt » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:10 am

hud and z, thanks for the listen. I'll be in touch soon...

cj-
Sorry to steal your song title...in hindsight, it seems obvious that you guys would have used it already. It was actually meant to be a bit of an homage to y'all. I hope that no offense was taken. Could one of you mods change the name of the tune to 'thanks for lending an ear' ... or something...

The original lyrics, were 'uncle john, we're so sad to see you gone' ... but, 1. it was pointed out to me by my wife that sir paul used something similar once (uncle albert?), and 2. It being about artists with 'songs..are secrets burning to unleash' ...eh, listen to.. you all came to mind. I should also mention that all of the we's were I's in the first take. ...but it occurred to me that I wasn't the only artist yearning for an audience..so I broadened it... it wasn't meant to pander but to share. I can see how broadening it out takes away the 'personal' ...and presumes to speak for others. dumb sly, dumb sly ...idiot!

As far as the melody, we'll have to do lunch I guess... this one's stuck solid in my brain.

One thing I learned while writing the lyrics.... "thanks for lending me YOUR ear' gives one a whole different meaning.
Last edited by slywitt on Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
slywitt

Postby cjdenecia » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:17 am

no offense taken at all sly. just saying ...

as per the rest - well, it's early days for the tune eh?

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby Krispy » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:16 am

Let's not forget that the AR megacollab (well, as mega as we could muster really) is called "I'm Just an..." No mention of AR in the title.
It's sitting right there at the top of the Review forum, cos it really winds, er, somebody up. I forget who it was cos all the feckwits are interchangable.

You're a sentimental fool Sly. What it needs is a verse about Roxi, changing to a darker key and losing the beat. :mrgreen:
To save time, assume I know everything
Krispy

Postby Steve Ison » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:57 am

As usual with your stuff, i really like this Sly...Kinda eccentric easy listening-with your (always) enjoyable, naturally charming melodic vocal lines..I disagree with cj that the vocal line sounds forced-Its like alot of Burt Bacharach-where you can hear those unusually phrased (cool) melodic lines were written first,then had words crafted on after..

Its celebratory,happy-sad-kinda innocent and heartfelt in a way that naturally reminds me of the late 60s-early 70s-I can't actually think of any writer/performer now (signed or unsigned) who's as naturally intuitively melodic as you (if anyone can, PLEASE point them in my direction)

I actually really like your productions as well..They walk that line between sounding digital modern n clear (so satisfying someone like cj) but having a vibiness and slight edge to them (so satisfying someone like me)
Actually my reasons for liking your stuff have little to do with the actual sound (tho i really like your voice which always helps)
I think your tunes are just so good you could play them on a little casio on a hissy cassette recording-or equally have an ultra-glassy, slick 80s-style production and i'd still enjoy them just as much..

Short n sweet.. 8-)
Keepin' it unreal
Steve Ison

Postby slywitt » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:05 am

slywitt

Postby slywitt » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:24 am

slywitt

Postby mistertroll » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:33 am

Keep your booger hook off the bang switch and nobody gets hurt.

mistertroll

Postby steban » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:19 pm

I don't see any conflict with I'm Just an Audio Refugee in your title. cj, Kim, you guys have plenty fame to claim, and frankly any further development of the idea is only bolstering your song. I believe Roxi actually did a song called Audio Refugee singular. I mean, what would Tom Petty say? Did we not borrow Refugee from him? Is there not even a cover of his song on the site now done shortly before I'm Just an...?

I like it, and I am probably going to add something soon on guitar and vocal harmony because it has already emerged partly from the mist in my musical jungle before it dissipates. I'm just now getting around to listening.

Zxyz, give it a go!

A song like this is an inside joke for us here. The lyrics might not resonate in the big world quite the same, but we all know that.

But what this song does in conjunction with the other songs is become a challenge and inspiration for others down the line to take their own potshot, and how many music sites can claim that? Well, GB had a few songs in its dis/honor!
steban

Postby Peevette » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:59 pm

Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
Peevette

Postby Steve Soucy » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:51 pm

Can't legally copyright a title, and stop other people from using it. Why should it be different in here?

I advocate frivolity.

When a train goes through a tunnel and it gets dark, you don't throw away the ticket and jump off. You sit still and trust the engineer.

~ Corrie Ten Boom
Steve Soucy

Postby cjdenecia » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:36 pm

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Next

Return to REVIEWS! (Pre-Audiopolis Review System Days)