[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4554: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4556: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4557: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4558: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
Audio Refugees • View topic - Brother Ray

Brother Ray

The old AudioRefugee Review Forum - where we kept the fire burning for a few years while we were building the Audiopolis Review System and website.

Brother Ray

Postby Steve Soucy » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:47 pm

My buddy Darrell and I wrote this song when Ray Charles died. I'm a big fan, have been for decades. We were also working with a 70 yr old singer (Hans Stamer) and got him to sing this. And I have one of kd lang's backup singers on it as well. What do you think?

BroRay9.mp3
(4.79 MiB) Downloaded 225 times

Yes it's all for the love, of Brother Ray

You had to lean what love is, the hard way every day
You had to let it out, come what may
And every time I heard you play, it took my breath away
So I'm all for the love, of Brother Ray

It was you who blessed the world, and let the music be inspired by
Bringing in the light, so oughtta sight, like a beacon in the night
One man all alone, preaching live, and just let live
So I'm all for the love, of Brother Ray

I'm going to miss you, yes I miss you
How I'm gonna miss you
Brother Ray, whoa Brother Ray,
All for the love of Brother Ray

Jazz and gospel equals soul, in country pop and rock and roll
You stood your ground, nobody could push you around
You know they broke the mold, yes they did, but dig
The genius will live on, long long long, after you've gone
So I'm all for the love, your love of Brother Ray

I'm going to miss you, I declare, I miss you
How I'm gonna miss you, whoa no one can tell
Brother Ray, whoa my sweet Brother Ray,
All for the love

Yes I'm going to miss you, yes I miss you
How I'm gonna miss you,
Brother Ray, oh Brother Ray can't you hear me now

If you don't know me
Rainy night in Georgia
She told me hit the road Jack
And I wanna know, tell me, tell me what d'I say
You know the night time is the right time to be with the one you love
I can't stop lovin' you, no I can't
Drown in my own tears
Somewhere over the rainbow, oh

Darrell Mayes & Steve Soucy c 2006

When a train goes through a tunnel and it gets dark, you don't throw away the ticket and jump off. You sit still and trust the engineer.

~ Corrie Ten Boom
Steve Soucy

Re: Brother Ray

Postby steban » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:51 pm

I'm getting caught up today, Steve, and I can't explain why no one else commented heretofor.

Sure it is pretty transparent, not overly original, but you did incorporate many clever references to his songs, and the singer did a bang up job, as well as the backup singer. They all sound like they were really into it at the time of performing it.

And I suppose your keys sounds pretty darn good, too!
steban

Postby cjdenecia » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:17 am

I was out of the loop when this got posted (apparently) cus I review it all (except when I say I won't be) ....

I'll guess that some others probably wanna feel the love a little and otherwise - who knows?

but for me - it's a decent enough homage. the mood is right. the concept is sound. the performances are good. the production is decent (but not great) and the writing is solid if not a bit too familiar in reference. I dunno, calling him brother ray seems a little intimate. and I am tempted to doubt that ray was ever a good friend to the writers ...

the singer ain't ray. but he's damn personable and a pretty decent facsimile and all in all, just from this recording, I like him. a weathered old cat who's sounded better in his youth but now holds a certain wisdom and magic in his voice that only age can garner. he obviously doesn't have his old strength or grace but he makes up for it with continued experience and control. and knowing his own tool. he doesn't totally sound like he feels the love of the lyric but more that he's either singing a song that he just learned or that he's playing a part but on both counts, he pulls it off ... still, there's not quite the legitimacy in his performance to convince me that ray was indeed a huge hero of his. then again, maybe it's just that he no longer has the ability to convey emotion completely. but at first listen, I have to say that he does sound to me like he's, to an extent, going through the motions. but cus he's soooo good, I might be nitpicking and trying to look too hard at him.

backing vocals are quite cool ... a little weird to have them intro the tune. not sure I like that. every role player needs to find their place in a song and I don't like them leading off ... but otherwise, solid performances and quite sweet. a bit more room for the lead is in order though. sorta like the intro, I think you've given the backups too big a role. a little spacing and some silence in the bed seems like it would help the song and the mood. it's just too full of voices ...

drums and bass .... spot on. nothing wrong and loads right.

organs and keys ... nice - nothing to condemn and lots to like.

more piano. it's just too buried. and that makes no sense based on the subject matter. and yeah, I hear every note but in fact, want the piano to be so much more a dominant voice here. it's mixed too far back into things ...

and frankly, there's an effort to capture the RC sound and style but there's far too few dynamics to be fully representing his style. a lot more effort should go into creating far more of a natural smooth yet raw vibe.

I like the song, and the lyric - to an extent. it's just not totally natural and that bugs me.
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby Steve Soucy » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:45 pm

When a train goes through a tunnel and it gets dark, you don't throw away the ticket and jump off. You sit still and trust the engineer.

~ Corrie Ten Boom
Steve Soucy

Postby Steve Soucy » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:49 pm

~ Corrie Ten Boom
Steve Soucy

Postby twoleftfeet » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:21 pm

The singer has a real tone: he's not Charles but he might be his stepbrother or cousin or something. I thought this was quite lovely.

Thought there was a little too much backing vocals. Popping up everywhere.

Thought the brush hits were lovely but it was hard to hear them sweeping.

But that's all by-the-by. It's a lovely track, not excellent by Charles' standards, but lovely. And that's pretty high praise when you've offered Ray Charles as the (sorta) benchmark.
Bright lights, big city, went to my baby's head.
twoleftfeet

Return to REVIEWS! (Pre-Audiopolis Review System Days)