[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4554: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4556: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4557: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4558: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
Audio Refugees • View topic - Strawberry Fields Forever

Strawberry Fields Forever

The old AudioRefugee Review Forum - where we kept the fire burning for a few years while we were building the Audiopolis Review System and website.

Re: Strawberry Fields Forever

Postby Diki Black » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:03 am

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools" -Ernest Hemingway
Diki Black

Postby Jay » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:40 pm

Prunes!
Jay

Postby Diki Black » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:52 am

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools" -Ernest Hemingway
Diki Black

Postby Jay » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:22 pm

Prunes!
Jay

Postby zxyz » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:17 am

D'oh!!! ya fcked up now bud.. get yer sht together .. like me :beer: and quit fcking posting those .. well.. that waz mean to Peeve .why'd you do that main??? wtf .. ?

Cheerz

zZTOPPPPyy boyzzz2mann .. ,

mmm .

oOps.. Mark's thread .. sorry.

Mark. Yes. Liked it so much I almost thought it was the orig. So I had to turn it off because it wasn't.

I do like your orig stuff, and yes I'm sure this took a hellofalot of effort to put together.. but I once read.."If your going to re-do someone else's song, make sure that you do it better than they did it!
zxyz

Location: Way out there somewhere ... maybe a parallel universe or something somewhat similar ..

Postby Peevette » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:53 pm

Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
Peevette

Postby Steve Ison » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:52 pm

I was actually playing this track a couple of months back and being in awe that it was the greatest production ever
So you've got your work cut out then lol..Of course its not as good as the original-that would be impossible..

Regardless of the reasons for doing it,the attention to detail's astonishing here...I couldn't do this in a million years..

Your vocal performance is great 'koff..Not a total impersonation of Lennon-but sounding really natural and confident anyways..

The most obvious way this fails in its determination to be a total copy tho is the cello/horn samples..

Those biting aggressive staccato cellos n horns are almost impossible to get right with a sampler (i know- i've tried ),so the listener hears full well they're synth n the spell is broken abit..

Impressive attempt anyways..
Keepin' it unreal
Steve Ison

Postby Mark Kaufman » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:23 pm

Thanks again, everyone for your time and comments. Definitely more fun for the four of us than for the listeners.
Mark Kaufman

Postby Steve Soucy » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:34 pm

When a train goes through a tunnel and it gets dark, you don't throw away the ticket and jump off. You sit still and trust the engineer.

~ Corrie Ten Boom
Steve Soucy

Postby Mark Kaufman » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:57 pm

Mark Kaufman

Postby zxyz » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:35 pm

A video too? Cool! :thumb:
zxyz

Location: Way out there somewhere ... maybe a parallel universe or something somewhat similar ..

Postby pharquartt » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:07 am

now is the infinite opposite
pharquartt
Site Admin

Postby slywitt » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:49 am

fwiw, I found this laying around on a disk. I downloaded it from somewhere, sometime back .

It's the cello and horn take from the original.

It might be fun to try to overlay it on your version. I know it kind of defeats the purpose, but..
strawberry_istrumental.mp3
(5.27 MiB) Downloaded 191 times
Orationem pulchram non habens, scribo ista linea in lingua Latina
slywitt

Postby Mark Kaufman » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:21 pm

Damn! ...the temptation...
Mark Kaufman

Postby steban » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:01 pm

I really like this song, Mark, as a great song. Your cover is pretty cool, you get all the parts in, and sung so effectively.

There may or may not be more vocal harmony on the original, in my mind there is, and it is very pretty and kind of hard to replicate. I invariably try (it is very challenging!) to sing it whenever I hear the song, but I have no surprise new Garrison version today!

Each of us has our own muse, and you just enjoy covering songs you love. And of course you must be learning very cool things that go on to become part of your original music. The drums, for instance, in this song, are just unusual. Perfect but who would have thunk?

The use of the big cello and horns. The total not in a box rock song, pop only because it is/was so popular. Popular because it is so melodically appealing. Vocal effect, doubled in spots is sounding excellent. And I'm glad you've got some backwards stuff going on. In the spirit.

I probably should cover more songs for practice, but alas, my muse don't play that game, at least not compulsively. Who knows, though, one morning I may arise and find I have a burning desire to do Return of the Grievous Angel.
steban

PreviousNext

Return to REVIEWS! (Pre-Audiopolis Review System Days)