[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4554: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4556: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4557: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4558: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
Audio Refugees • View topic - Strawberry Fields Forever

Strawberry Fields Forever

The old AudioRefugee Review Forum - where we kept the fire burning for a few years while we were building the Audiopolis Review System and website.

Strawberry Fields Forever

Postby Mark Kaufman » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:15 am

I sometimes collaborate with an online band we call Copperhead, and here's a cover of a Beatles classic we've been working on for quite awhile. Hope you like it! (I haven't been very participative of late, so feel free to harangue me about it, and I'll try to pull my head out and be a better citizen someday.)

Mark Kaufman

Re: Strawberry Fields Forever

Postby mistertroll » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:28 am

You suck! I hate you! Anybody with this much ability must be a Cyborg. Or worse!

Sounds like an outtake from the original sessions.

Yeah, I hate you.

:thumb:
Keep your booger hook off the bang switch and nobody gets hurt.

mistertroll

Postby Jay » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:27 am

Well, it's a very competent imitation, but I wish you'd put your considerable talents to creating your own music. I don't really get recording covers that attempt to duplicate the original. It's the kind of thing that works live because the audience has that shared experience of loving the same song, and the band acts as a conduit of that love. But on a recording... there's no motivation (for me, anyway) to give repeated listens to something that will/can never live up to the original (particularly a Beatles classic).

It's well done, but record some more of your own stuff!
Prunes!
Jay

Postby Mark Kaufman » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:39 am

Mark Kaufman

Postby Mark Kaufman » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:16 am

Mark Kaufman

Postby pharquartt » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:58 am

now is the infinite opposite
pharquartt
Site Admin

Postby slywitt » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:09 pm

Even though I kind of agree with jay and the duck, I kind of don't... in this one case.

First.. I REALLY like your original stuff and yearn to hear more.

but.. this is to me, one of the most seminal recordings (the original) in the second half of the last century. It was the first "Pepper" song (even though it preceded that album), which opened up a whole different style of audio recording, mixing, and mastering. It's an extreme case of the musician/songwriter being 'produced'. I think it's VERY cool that you re-visited it here. If nothing else, as a recording exercise.

This is probably the best (closest to the original) cover of the original that I've heard to date. I hear that you used the mellotron flute patch. Which one did you use? It sounds just like the original. The horns sound 'just right'. Again, what did you guys use? You missed one guitar 'twang' somewhere just short of 2min and the cellos needed to be a bit more staccato once or twice, but except for the ending, you pretty much nailed the recording. Your singing is, if anything, too good. Maybe the most impressive thing is how you folks 'nailed' the drums. Did you use one of the Abby Road plug-ins?

Have you heard the original demos? (There's a bunch in the 'artifacts' bootlegs.) It's amazing how this goes from almost a folk tune to what it is now. There's one demo with some of the most amazing harmonies (all done by lennon), which is one of the prettiest things he ever did, imho. It's too bad that some of that didn't make it to the final version.

For you neigh-say'ers... remember that the Beatles honed their skills doing covers. (this coming from me, Mr. NeverDidCovers...maybe I should have). Nice work, as usual, Mark.
Orationem pulchram non habens, scribo ista linea in lingua Latina
slywitt

Postby Jay » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:10 pm

Prunes!
Jay

Postby Mark Kaufman » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:10 pm

D'oh!

Okay, I get it, and I'll avoid posting covers... sorry for stirrin' the pot.

Sly, the Mellotron was the M-Tron plug, played on a Nord Electro through a Leslie setting. The drums were Greg Bertinelli's baby...not entirely sure what all he used there, but he told me it took a ton of tracks. I did the brass and strings with the free EastWest Quantum Leap Orchestra (which can't be found for free anymore). But if you like strings, try going to Audiomidi.com--right now they have one of their No-Brainer deals for the Miroslav Philharmonik plug at $15 for March--usually over a hundred. Full orchestra, all patches sampled in a nice venue. Thanks for the nice words!

Now move along, folks. Come on, nothing to see here...
Mark Kaufman

Postby HUD » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:11 pm

"Strawberry Fields" was a tune that I was too young to appreciate at the time, better suited for filling up on the earlier Beatle stuff. But this song continues to grow on me through the decades. So I was definitely interested to check this one out.

I can appreciate the craftmanship, de-construction, reverse engineering that went into this, and the reproduction is very impressive. But because this is sooooo dang close in so many ways, I tended to focus on what didn't quite match the original, either in sound or timing or whatever, rather than simple enjoyment of a great song, well-performed. For instance, why not the slowdown half a step as G Martin was forced to do in splicing the ochestral and band versions of the song? Lennon's voice had a cool darker tone where that occured. The drum part was uncannily close to Ringo, but I notice where the a tom's decay is digitally chopped off. I find myself just looking for shit instead of enjoying the ride.

I think it's fine to offer an interpretation of a great song. Knowing what you learned as far as how the song was constructed, this could have been a great opportunity to update the tune, rather than going for the retro stereo spread and trying to get only close to the original sounds? Make it bigger. Make it yours, y'know?

Of course, I do understand that those who aren't musical/Beatle nerds like us might not even notice any difference between this and the Capitol Records release, so maybe there's money to be made. Just seems more like building a really great set of dressers or building a radio rather than getting your creative ya's ya's off.

Also on your behalf, you have written and recorded some great originals, so I wouldn't knock your wanting to do this as a diversion, change of scenery. Just feel like this could be something much cooler then merely being fine craftsmanship.
As I returned across the lands I'd known
I recognized the fields where I'd once played
I had to stop in my tracks for fear
Of walking on the mines I'd laid
HUD

Postby Jay » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:21 pm

Prunes!
Jay

Postby Diki Black » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:21 am

I respect the fact that your collective group pulled this off and I'd have to say this is your best vocal performance,my problem throughly enjoying this and buying YOU and the Group a collective audio BJ was the time and syncing of the drums particularly,I was trying to get into it and "Bam" inconsistence beats would pull me out and stare at your recording ?

But Wow besides that I'm impressed to no end but it somehow is a deal breaker for me...?
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools" -Ernest Hemingway
Diki Black

Postby Steve Soucy » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:26 am

When a train goes through a tunnel and it gets dark, you don't throw away the ticket and jump off. You sit still and trust the engineer.

~ Corrie Ten Boom
Steve Soucy

Postby pharquartt » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:46 am

now is the infinite opposite
pharquartt
Site Admin

Postby Peevette » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:51 pm

One of my fav's, Kauf!!

Nice! :beer:
Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
Peevette

Next

Return to REVIEWS! (Pre-Audiopolis Review System Days)