[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4554: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4556: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4557: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4558: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
Audio Refugees • View topic - Wright of Spring - Krispy & Saucy

Wright of Spring - Krispy & Saucy

The old AudioRefugee Review Forum - where we kept the fire burning for a few years while we were building the Audiopolis Review System and website.

Re: Wright of Spring - Krispy & Saucy

Postby steban » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:59 pm

steban

Postby Steve Ison » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:59 pm

Very nice song,really well crafted sad-eyed song..Some lovely chords n melodies-the melodic twist on "those lost years" is particularly classy- it all flows together fabulously..
Tho i can hear its really well written,I feel i should like it more than i do

One of the main stumbling blocks for me is the SOUND...Analysing my reactions-and at the risk of being called a hypocrite-i realise i'm just as influenced by 'the sound' of something as everyone else-tho my take might be different..

Its just all seems so polite and lacking in genuine atmosphere.....
Maybe thats me..I always want to hear some 'edge' and don't understand this kinda empty polish and why everything has to be so smoothed off..I think the 'lounge' comments are totally justified..I wanna hear that great piano playing on a REAL piano (Do you have a real piano saucy ? )..I don't want to hear that ultra-clean digitalised sound.Its got no personality or life-it sucks the soul out of the music..
There's an irony to this kinda sound that so many unsigned "good engineers" go for in the fact that you'd rarely hear it in a succesful modern song-even with just a piano and voice.Its the sound of a producer TRYING to sound professional,when most real professionals worth their salt would realise creating genuine atmosphere counts for everything..
The song'd sound better to me with you both recorded on cassette playing round a real piano-with you having a few red wines to really relax..

It'd sound even better being f*cked around with abit..Stop the piano in the chorus-change the sound to strings or some accapella ooooos-to back you..
The bitter winter part would be so cool with strings..
Definitely change that room reverb on the voice..
Even tho your vocal's good-cos its you-it sounds like you're almost trying too hard here..The totally crystal clear annunciation on everything dosn't feel relaxed,it feels abit too self-conscious..I'm hearing Elaine Page when i want to hear Dusty or Carole King or even Debbie Harry or Bond theme girl singing the blues...
Its weird..The slowness of it would be brilliant with an unselfconscious soulful vocal performance and a real piano-and the right reverb..
Otherwise i'd speed it up abit and add bass and different sounds..It'd work like that f'sure
I'm sorry about this-This is a good song
I just wanna hear it differently
Keepin' it unreal
Steve Ison

Postby HUD » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:52 pm

hmmmmm...
As I returned across the lands I'd known
I recognized the fields where I'd once played
I had to stop in my tracks for fear
Of walking on the mines I'd laid
HUD

Postby Krispy » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:12 am

To save time, assume I know everything
Krispy

Postby HUD » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:51 pm

HUD

Postby zxyz » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:05 am

Nice song. A bit sterile. Needs strings. Good piano playing Steve, although I agree a real grand piano would have been somewhat better. Vocals; excellent K. (need a lil more 'verb tho .. lol .. ) All in all, really enjoyable. Although being the rocker that i am, it could have used summore percusss............
zxyz

Location: Way out there somewhere ... maybe a parallel universe or something somewhat similar ..

Postby HUD » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:44 am

Well then...this chord progression really travels around. Maybe disorienting during initial listenings, even though every change seems logical, but like, "where's the confounded pattern here?" Of course, I've (my "me" moment) been accused of being rather anti-repetitive to a fault (by simpletons, of course), so I assume that I'll warm to the variety herein with further listens as would be the case with some Difford-Tillbrook compositions, for instance.

I do get that you're going for the unadorned intimacy vibe here - and the arrangement is very fine in that regard. But really, it sounds dry like a demo for me. They don't make 'verb obvious like olden times, but you do still hear it and this feels like I need some bigger room on this thing.

The "your love means spring has come" melody/chords reminds me of a Seal song about roses or whatever that was.

I like this vocal performance, but it doesn't captivate my heart like "Love for Free", the Kim song to which this most closely resembles, but which seemed exude much more depth of feeling. Maybe could go for more dynamic range here. As ingeniously constructed as this piece is, I'd say it's worthy and capable of being brought to a higher level yet.

I would be curious as to who did what with the tune compositionally.
HUD

Postby Krispy » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:50 am

To save time, assume I know everything
Krispy

Postby Steve Soucy » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:58 pm

When a train goes through a tunnel and it gets dark, you don't throw away the ticket and jump off. You sit still and trust the engineer.

~ Corrie Ten Boom
Steve Soucy

Postby cjdenecia » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:37 pm

.... a slight bump to try to finish things off on this prior to my mentioning a word or two about this ....
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby Steve Soucy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:56 pm

When a train goes through a tunnel and it gets dark, you don't throw away the ticket and jump off. You sit still and trust the engineer.

~ Corrie Ten Boom
Steve Soucy

Postby cjdenecia » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:46 pm

an actual review of WRIGHT OF SPRING? not possible cus obviously, being the subject material of the song leaves me far too emotionally involved to be objective. mostly ....

but on the sound .... there's always a possibility that a song can be arranged and played differently with better or worse results ... in this case, I accept it and appreciate it as is. cus as is - is how it was intended and there's really no second guessing that. but on the favorable side of that issue is the fact that I think the production is spot on for the tune. the piano is not digitally revealing as it's simply just a room sound that was chosen. it IS real. pulled from the recording of a piano in that particular setting. to say it sounds otherwise is to object to the actual piano used in the sample that is in memory in the keyboard. silly really .... you can dislike the room sound and the piano itself but it does sound real and it does have a strong and frequency full sound that works quite well with the vocal and drums ...

the drums .... nicely back but ever present. and well placed. well conceived and well represented. a filler of sound and a simple backbeat here and there to keep the flow moving when the piano airs itself and the vocal works it's way around the melody.

the vocals ... perfect in it's imperfections. reflective of it's emotional birth, it's intimacy reveals the truth in the words and in fact, in the melody - which twists and turns just enough to recognize it as a krispy song but seats itself firmly in pop roots. it's a great performance in ways that are measurable in the way it makes the listener, in this case, me, feel. I hear the soft tenderness and the strong resolution and satisfaction. I hear the pain that preceded the satisfaction and I follow the tone of the delivery to the point where I identify.

and wordwise - it's a bit of a break from tradition for kim to stay so simple and not be clever and it works cus sometimes, simple says it best.

it's got a lot to love as a stripped down pop song. it's crisp and bright but doesn't really lack warmth ... the FX are accentuating without being overwhelming and the important things are featured front and center ... the vocal and the color of the chord progression as played.

to be sure, if the arrangement was fully flushed out in orchestration or a full 4 piece band, the song might suffer from sounding a bit like a too well crafted cliche, built to perfection and not exactly representing the message accurately. the simplicity here is the key. and the intimacy forged by the coupling of saucy's piano part and kim's singing needs to be the entire focus. anything more would steal from that and therefore, I'm not in favor of changing that delivery.

from an emotional POV, it's humbling and yet empowering to be the subject of this song. it tells truths and does nothing at all to lessen my self confidence. it's a brave thing for a writer to tell her lover how she feels in this way. it's a bravery to show this vulnerability and it's a credit to the accompaniment to help reflect that. personally, it makes me proud of her and in fact, of myself. it makes me feel appreciated and fully loved and in a position where I don't mind revealing my vulnerability by saying so. you should all be so lucky to have a love who's capable of expressing these emotions in any way, much less in beautiful song.

I really do love it and admit I'm jaded by my continuing romance with my wife - sue me. thanks kim. love you. and thanks saucy, you done good. you're still a complete and total as...... but musically, you've got your shit together and I've never not appreciated that part of you.

to say this a keeper is silly. it might be the last thing I listen to some day ... to lead me back to where I'm going. I could do a lot worse.
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby Steve Soucy » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:09 am

~ Corrie Ten Boom
Steve Soucy

Previous

Return to REVIEWS! (Pre-Audiopolis Review System Days)