[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4554: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4556: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4557: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4558: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
Audio Refugees • View topic - Wright of Spring - Krispy & Saucy

Wright of Spring - Krispy & Saucy

The old AudioRefugee Review Forum - where we kept the fire burning for a few years while we were building the Audiopolis Review System and website.

Wright of Spring - Krispy & Saucy

Postby Krispy » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:33 pm

I wrote this song and Mr Soucy made it beautiful.
By a happy coincidence I needed a fabulous piano player and wanted to see how two people who've not always related in other ways might communicate and bond with music.
In various ways, I learned a lot.

Wright_of_Spring.mp3
(3.53 MiB) Downloaded 300 times
To save time, assume I know everything
Krispy

Re: Wright of Spring - Krispy & Saucy

Postby Peevette » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:14 am

Krispy and Saucy,

I listened to this on my lap top and my first impression is very positive. Very pretty song.

I want to listen to it on better speakers on my Mac so I can give you a proper review..next couple of days.
Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
Peevette

Postby jaymz » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:32 am

Very good you two.

The arrangement is probably perfect and the song writing not bad at all. Kim, you are singing spot on.

two thoughts.

1. I can hear the room you are singing in Kim, you might want to deaden it somehow in the future. Normally this isn't a big deal, but because there are parts of the song where it's only you and the piano, your voice is intimate and the room reflection is distracting.

2. Saucy - not sure what rompler/piano you are using, the sound is fine but the velocity is annoying. It's either at 128 or 30. I would look into switching up your velocity curve to achieve a more natural sound.
Take that! Hatless!
jaymz

Postby mistertroll » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:56 am

Love the sparseness of the piece. No chance of clutter.

I like that Steve has no "Hey, look at me!" moments. When it's just the piano, it's just the piano, not the player. Very restrained arrangement. Tasty! The percussion is so subtle that I'm not sure it's really there. Maybe it's just in my head!

The song and presentation make it a companion piece to "Drowning" in the sense that it would fit into a theatrical production. A slightly different part of the same story.

The singing and songwriting are brilliant. Listened three times tonight before getting interrupted. I will be getting back to this.
Keep your booger hook off the bang switch and nobody gets hurt.

mistertroll

Postby mistertroll » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:24 am

Okay, this is at least a ten-play song so far. It's working on so many different levels it's making me dizzy.

It's the kind of song and performance that lounge singers wish they could nail, but never quite can.

I'm normally very lyric oriented. Due to my old man hearing loss etc., I'm not discerning the lyrics, and am still captivated by the song.

I'd love to see the words...
Keep your booger hook off the bang switch and nobody gets hurt.

mistertroll

Postby Diki Black » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:58 am

Definitely a "Gem" ...

It's nice to hear yoko break out of her normal comfort range and mix it up a little, yeah you still stayed safe but you did stretch some what and thats refreshing to me,nice piano complimenter too... you both worked it .

I would like this more if it was Lo -fi (what ?) something about it's simplicity and elegance? Now if it was more like a "The Vaselines" tune... I'd say this would be a Smash in the true indie world...

Brilliant you two!!
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools" -Ernest Hemingway
Diki Black

Postby Krispy » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:02 am

Krispy

Postby Steve Soucy » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:44 pm

When a train goes through a tunnel and it gets dark, you don't throw away the ticket and jump off. You sit still and trust the engineer.

~ Corrie Ten Boom
Steve Soucy

Postby jaymz » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:21 pm

I can actually here reflections on the clean track too, unless my ears are deceiving me (which they might be)

But.. none of that is a big deal. Those are really nit picky points.

On the subject of reverb. I used to be a big fan of it back in the 80's, it's hardly ever used on single vocal tracks these days (but still on fat chorus tracks, etc). I think it causes some loss of intimacy.
Take that! Hatless!
jaymz

Postby slywitt » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:43 pm

This is a wonderful song. It's a movie theme ... It's a movie unto itself. Nice going to the major chord at 'spring has come'. The 'oh bitter winters' is oh so nice. This travels nicely between melancholy and satisfaction.

As nice and clean as Steve's piano, this would be awesome with an orchestra especially beginning at 2 min. I'd love to hear the chorus at 2 min repeated or built on again. I guess it's a good thing in that it ended too soon and left me wanting more. Kim, this is an absolutely brilliant bit of songwriting.

The performance - Steve's playing, drums and production are spot on as usual. I liked the doubling of the acoustic piano with the electric on key phrases - it was quite Steely Dan'ish. Kim's performance was also right on the mark and carried quite a bit of emotion.

Having said all that - this song begs for a 'bigger' production. This version sounds like a 'stripped down version' for say, an awards show, or a small intimate venue, or like someone else said, a lounge. I cringe at using the 'lounge' word because I don't want to paint this performance with that ugly word but there is a bit of that feel to this arrangement. Even though I'd probably do it myself, I'm not sure I like the arpeggio at the end. The song goes from melancholy to to uplifting satisfaction (almost joy?) to 'hey look at this, we finished!'.

I'm probably just envious.
Orationem pulchram non habens, scribo ista linea in lingua Latina
slywitt

Postby steban » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:29 pm

I don't get the title, the name Wright doesn't ring any bells, but other than that it is quite a lovely Disney animation type love song, lyrics not controversial or oversexed, just fit for a princess protagonist to gloriously sing.

I like the simple arrangement, and although it could swell in a more orchestral arrangement, I'm thinking it is a separate, more thematic stretch to remind us of this. My favorite verse is the bitter winters/autumn fears one. The soft but lingering cymbal is a nice, slightly fantastic, vibe.

The melody is suitably handled, has some great chord transitions and arpeggios, and one note that is barely fitting right before 'didn't know', not to suggest it is in the least bad, it is as edgy as it gets.

So pretty and sentimental, and more poetic than sappy, conveying a serious deeply held conviction of her feelings for her love, I think you two concocted a convincing recording.
steban

Postby pharquartt » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:05 am

i have some issues with the mix as well, noting the above opinions. i also wish Saucy had used a softer piano voice. i think it would have added more intimacy to the background and probably could have stood alone as a foundation. but, as they say, opinions are like.....

vocals were clean and true, the piano work was smooth, and the lyrics were trademark Krispy.

always glad to see the mix of styles and players around here. something interesting always pops up. :thumb: :rock: :beer:
now is the infinite opposite
pharquartt
Site Admin

Postby Krispy » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:43 am

Krispy

Postby Peevette » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:01 pm

Peevette

Postby Peevette » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:45 pm

I finally have a chance to listen to this with proper speakers.

I think that hearing the 'room' noise makes this song more intimate with the listener. I appreciate the minimal percussion. I can hear where some folks would like a swell with an orchestra but I think that would eliminate the cozy atmosphere the song provides. I feel like Kim and Saucy are in the room with me; my own little personal concert. Sometimes, more is not always better.

I do not agree with the comments regarding the piano. I think the piano, as it is, contributes to the mood. If intimacy was the goal here, the goal has been accomplished! Perhaps there is validity in the 'lounge' comments, but this does not have to be a bad thing. I can envision Krispy and Saucy in a small lounge performing this tune to a few patrons, mesmerizing the audience with their talent.

I absolutely love the vocal melody and where it takes me and with Kim's voice being so soothing, I'm disappointed when the song is over.....I want to hear more.

Beautiful lyrics and a beautiful song!! Well done!
Peevette

Next

Return to REVIEWS! (Pre-Audiopolis Review System Days)