[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4554: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4556: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4557: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4558: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
Audio Refugees • View topic - Me Me Me (Don't)

Me Me Me (Don't)

The old AudioRefugee Review Forum - where we kept the fire burning for a few years while we were building the Audiopolis Review System and website.

Me Me Me (Don't)

Postby Krispy » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:51 pm

Here's a thing I've been having a lot of fun with, mostly cos I did it all by myself (me).
It advanced organically from the word 'me', revealing its various 'influences' (rip offs) which I will happily confess to later.
Agendaless observations will be very welcome.

Me_ultralitemaster.mp3
(4.98 MiB) Downloaded 247 times

She says:

Don’t tread on my bluebells
Don’t climb my tree
The only clown gets to hang around
Is me, me, me

Don’t kick my gatepost
Don’t pick my strawberry
The only clown that’s diggin this ground
Is me, me, me

Don’t look in my window
Don’t think there’s much to see
The only clown that’s moving around
Is me, me, me

Don’t try my shoes on
Don’t sip my cuppa tea
The only clown’s gonna sit right down
Is me, me, me

Don’t come any closer cos
You look pretty good to me

Where d’you think you’re going?

Don’t leave your socks on
Don’t need no modesty
The only mug’s gonna get your love
Is me, me, me

Don’t put your boots on
Stay and keep me company
The only mother’s gonna have your love
Is me, me, me.
To save time, assume I know everything
Krispy

Re: Me Me Me (Don't)

Postby HUD » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:05 pm

Gave this a listen last night, but haven't had the chance to anal-yse it yet. It needs more listens, and I do know that it's certainly agreeable to more attention.
That no one's yet reviewed this is more a reflection on what deadasses we are than any lack of quality here.
As I returned across the lands I'd known
I recognized the fields where I'd once played
I had to stop in my tracks for fear
Of walking on the mines I'd laid
HUD

Postby steban » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:46 pm

I listened many times last night, Kim, but it was too late to respond. I wouldn't sweat the slow reviewing. People have obviously been busy. I got a lot of one liner reviews, and it's not because we don't enjoy reviewing, even my songs generally get more depth. A review should not be given just because a song is liked or disliked either. What kind of review is that? Well, why am I preaching to the choir?

I do like this song, but what inspired you to write a song about me? That's mostly a feeble joke. I have no idea who influenced you on this. It is a frolicsome romp of wordplay set to a stellar vocal, near a capella arrangement. There are so many musical parts inserted in the song to contrast with the dunh duh duuh's that sort of act as the glue sticking it all together, each one a little gem unto itself. The jazzy part was quite cool, everything has that over the topness of a show tune or something.

I like this style of yours, singing and having so much fun, slightly silly, like a musical lesson about selfishness for your kids even suitable on Sesame Street.
steban

Postby Steve Ison » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:12 pm

Woh,This is really cool Kim..The verse is a kinda standard bluesy vocal line-but it works so well and is really interesting 'cos of the slightly dissonant chordal choices underneath,giving it that eerie,edgy quality.
Its weird,i doubt Steve Saucy (or most 'trained' musicians for that matter) would choose those kinda chords 'cos of the dissonance involved, but it really works here....Its like the the kind of musical choice the occasional really intelligent modern r'n'b writer would make..
And if you'd chosen a typical standard chord(s) to go under that vocal line, it would most definitely've been boring.

Thats why i think its really good to listen to stuff that isn't just straight pop,rock or folk 'cos it opens up whole new worlds of harmonic/creative possibilities..

I like it conceptually straight away (i don't mean lyrically),more the way the verse goes into that really simple accapella chorus

The soundscape with all the vocals is really interesting-and has bags of natural space..I really like the fact you havn't clogged it up with tons of things..It breathes..It sounds homemade in the best way.

The mid 8 is inventive n interesting and i love how it goes into the reverby 'meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee'

I really love how you're getting so good n inventive at using the voice as an instrument in itself..That quality seperates you straight away from 97% of musicians who don't even consider those kinda possibilities..

Playful,childlike and kinda creepy in equal parts,filled with individual creative personality n atmosphere.Its like a bizarre song from some off broadway musical somewhere.Its jazz,pop,r'n'b and weird doo-wop rolled into one..

8-)
Keepin' it unreal
Steve Ison

Postby pharquartt » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:19 am

now is the infinite opposite
pharquartt
Site Admin

Postby mistertroll » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:44 am

Lots of good stuff going on here. I like it a lot. The melodic diversions do a got job of wandering and then smoothly returning to the theme. Percussion and BV are excellent. Keyboards are subtle and supportive to the point of being almost invisible. Since we can't have a radio playing at work, this will probably be playing in my head tomorrow.

I can hear in my mind a Chrissie Hynde or Annie Lennox cover of it.

Fourth listen now...
Keep your booger hook off the bang switch and nobody gets hurt.

mistertroll

Postby Krispy » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:42 am

Krispy

Postby cjdenecia » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:03 am

golly, I ain't reviewed this one yet. and I can cus I had nothing to do with it besides telling what plugins did what and explaining a few things that I do during mixing/mastering ....

I'll get 'round to it.
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby slywitt » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:32 am

I don't know how I missed this one.

This is REALLY cool.

The only thing... I'd lose the piano for all of the tune except for the bridge at 2min. I think it takes away from your vocals and if I'm imagining right, it won't take away from the background.

I love when art works.
Orationem pulchram non habens, scribo ista linea in lingua Latina
slywitt

Postby Krispy » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:11 am

Krispy

Postby HUD » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:26 pm

dang...really want that last drum hit to be a cymbal. Was diggin' it until that point.

As I listen to this, I have to wonder whether you're as ignorant of music theory you profess, or is that just a sham? You do some pretty bizzarre and abrupt turns on a dime, but I felt the logic in every case.

The thing starts out sounding kind of standard in structure like acapella r 'n' r but then we're hit some weird stuff that thinks maybe this is a Handel transition.

Like how the lyric progresses also, where finally there's a "you" who'd better be all about "me".

If I had to split hairs, I'd suggest maybe there could be maybe some more stereo separation between the b/u vox and the lead, and maybe narrow the eq's on the b/u, cutting some lows, but that's a pretty minor deal to me, if you've already moved on w/ your life.

Fun little ditty.
As I returned across the lands I'd known
I recognized the fields where I'd once played
I had to stop in my tracks for fear
Of walking on the mines I'd laid
HUD

Postby cjdenecia » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:33 am

amazing.

I sure don't have the patience to create this sort of thing ... and though I did state that I didn't take part in it's existence, I was somewhat aware of it's building phases. to be sure, because I heard the song in it's infancy, I can honestly say that this end result is absolutely proof that one that isn't experienced at playing an instrument, nor producing a song, can in fact, with enough imagination, effort and drive - make it happen and happen well. what you are hearing here is 1000% better than what it was when it started. "some" should take notice of this.

on the song and performance itself ....

the minimal approach instrumentally and the ol' krispy voice as a instrument thing is working. the drums being fully hacked in, and the piano chordage being cut and pasted from individual flies - quite remarkable. it's scarce and simple. and very unique. very innocent musically. hud pointed out that he thinks kim's claims that she doesn't know any theory might be a shame (playfully) but - it's not. she really does go from the gut on building a progression and as with this one, failed initially in a few spots. but she figured that all out by hearing what was working and what wasn't. and built an attractive and creative song out of it. the key to her finished product here is not what she put in, but what she took out once she heard it in full objective mode.

I like the entire piano track ... it's sincere.

the vocals are once again a homage to the original krispy write of dominion. not in style nor vibe but in process. and once again, she works it well. carrying the harmonic load admirably with her voice, making it completely one with the melodic aspect of the song. part by part, frequency by frequency. and the fact is, some of the songwriter "rules" that she scoffed at subconscious;u are some of the best bits of the song. the shocking moments are the best.

and the playfulness she shows in the performance yields great results too. it shows that she's not taking herself too seriously and doesn't have the muso head up the ass routine controlling her. and cus she's learning to write music (not just vocals and lyrics and melody) with this innocence intact, I think as she learns more about the theory - she'll continue to stretch the line, but maybe knowing more about the hows and whys. and defying them by ear.

the song is happy. it's light. it's easy without being lame. it's a pleasure treasure. it's a laugh and a smile. what more can you ask of from some songs?

mission accomplished. and it's proud to be indie and the indie is proud to show it off without tens of thousands of people trying to tell her how to sing or what key to stay in.

ie -success.
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby pharquartt » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:15 am

this was interesting. the vocals made the simple arrangement work, though it does tend to get old quickly. could have used a surprise or two.

it came across to me as an organic version of an Art of Noise tune. i found it pleasant but more "background" music than something i would want to repeat.

i think it was a good effort and will surely give you the springboard to something special in the future. do not stop this line of production. :rock:
now is the infinite opposite
pharquartt
Site Admin

Postby Krispy » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:02 am

Krispy

Return to REVIEWS! (Pre-Audiopolis Review System Days)