[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4554: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4556: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4557: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4558: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
Audio Refugees • View topic - You Only Want to Listen to the Blues

You Only Want to Listen to the Blues

The old AudioRefugee Review Forum - where we kept the fire burning for a few years while we were building the Audiopolis Review System and website.

Re: You Only Want to Listen to the Blues

Postby Steve Soucy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:17 pm

When a train goes through a tunnel and it gets dark, you don't throw away the ticket and jump off. You sit still and trust the engineer.

~ Corrie Ten Boom
Steve Soucy

Postby Steve Ison » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:56 pm

Keepin' it unreal
Steve Ison

Postby Jay » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:38 am

I like this a lot. At first I thought I wasn't going to because the intro sounds almost too careful. The song eventually sits into its groove and lets me relax into it (I feel like the consistent backbeat could come in sooner).

Really nice warm sound to this, and this is a clear case where the singer sells it. She just kills it! She sounds totally natural and in her element. A lesser singer would likely turn this into a forgettable song. BTW, this contrasts with your previous tune in that the vocalist on that one had technical ability, but I found his delivery forced. Back to the sound. I like the organ sound on this, and the bg vox sound warm and natural. Your piano skills are evident as well, and it's a nice-sounding piano (real or sampled?).

I wish the ending didn't happen so fast. Not really digging the double-time outro. Feel like it'd have more impact to keep the sadder-feeling half time. And, man, it ain't fair that you let the vocalist tease the listener with that great scat snippet. I've heard literally hundreds of mediocre wanna-be jazz vocalists who couldn't scat to save their lives, and she says more in those two bars at 3:08 than many singers say in their lifetime. I'm not kidding.

I like the simple lyric. The sentiment fits the music well. Great marriage of lyric and music.

This is really a beautiful track, Steve. I dunno what the Taxi know-it-alls said, but regardless of this song's radio potential, it is really excellent, and you should be proud.
Prunes!
Jay

Postby pharquartt » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:28 am

nice tune, Steve. clean keys throughout. like hud said, it sounded like you were getting loose at the end. should have let it ride for a while.

we don't have to like you to like your music. but we might anyway.

good work!
now is the infinite opposite
pharquartt
Site Admin

Postby Krispy » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:54 pm

I'm in two minds about this song. It's so smooth and seamless and unspoiled and the chorus has remained in my head and the voice is magic. And yet I have no desire to listen to it again.
To save time, assume I know everything
Krispy

Postby Steve Soucy » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:15 pm

When a train goes through a tunnel and it gets dark, you don't throw away the ticket and jump off. You sit still and trust the engineer.

~ Corrie Ten Boom
Steve Soucy

Postby Krispy » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:47 pm

Krispy

Postby Peevette » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:11 am

I finally have the time to listen........(well, I finally decided to say F*&k homework....I need music time)

I actually dig this tune quite a bit. I really love this woman's voice. Love the laid back almost sexy vibe. I'm thinking this is more along the lines of a jazzy blues song. Great work on the 88 Saucy, very sweet licks, nice noodling. You're piano bit mixed with the organ at 1:57 and at 3:01 is what gives this song more of a jazz feeling. The back up vocals are very complimentary of the lead.

This is pretty good, dude. :thumb:
Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
Peevette

Postby Steve Soucy » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:54 am

~ Corrie Ten Boom
Steve Soucy

Postby Krispy » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:43 am

I'd told myself to come back to this and, remarkably, I have obeyed me.

I'm feeling its charm more now, particularly from the rhythm section. That is, I like what the drummer is doing but I wish s/he had a more 'live' sound. and I like all the spaces in the song, I appreciate them.
I have to agree with SteveLson about the cruise ship production, but I think this comes partly as a result of wanting to push the singer by finishing off in a warm place. Maybe I don't go for that smoothness because my jazz education was founded from the chaos of swing, or maybe it's because a housemate drove me insane with that first Sade album. :roll:
I still don't really see the point of the upbeat digressions, except as potential boredom avoidance, and to me the only justification (especially on the second one) would be if we were trying to cheer up the person we're singing to. Unless I can understand what it's for, I tend to dismiss as showing off. Am a bit of a 'the song, not the singer' type though. I think perhaps any reservations I still harbour arise from that. Sometimes the performance can overtake the tune, burying it in a kind of musical smugness which gets your back up. Of course I don't expect anyone to have the faintest idea what I'm talking about.

Still, the chorus remains among my current sing-in-the-shower repertoire, and so victory is yours.
Krispy

Postby slywitt » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:07 pm

I was just reading the comments and thinking "I can't believe no one has mentioned Sade"...and voila Kim did. I'm starting to think I'm slychic or something.
Orationem pulchram non habens, scribo ista linea in lingua Latina
slywitt

Postby zxyz » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:15 am

Yeah.. Sade.. I fell in love with that voice.. ahhh ..
zxyz

Location: Way out there somewhere ... maybe a parallel universe or something somewhat similar ..

Postby Diki Black » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:14 am

Needs Leads ...piano is stellar but not enough needs a wrentching 6 string ....way too happy at the end ! Great hear ...Thanks for the buzz fukface !!!
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools" -Ernest Hemingway
Diki Black

Postby Diki Black » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:34 am

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools" -Ernest Hemingway
Diki Black

Postby Steve Soucy » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:59 pm

~ Corrie Ten Boom
Steve Soucy

PreviousNext

Return to REVIEWS! (Pre-Audiopolis Review System Days)