[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4554: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4556: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4557: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4558: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
Audio Refugees • View topic - You Only Want to Listen to the Blues

You Only Want to Listen to the Blues

The old AudioRefugee Review Forum - where we kept the fire burning for a few years while we were building the Audiopolis Review System and website.

You Only Want to Listen to the Blues

Postby Steve Soucy » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:33 pm

K, here's another one. Again, me and the same writer, sung by another different friend of ours.

Listening2theBlues.mp3
(4.21 MiB) Downloaded 229 times

You Only Want to Listen to the Blues (sung by Heidi McCurdy)

How sad the rain, when you're looking for the sun
And you hope the storm is over
But it's only just begun

How strong the pain, if it never goes away
And you wish you didn't have to feel the hurt
But it comes back every day,
And you only want to listen to the blues

How long has this been going on
You never seem to smile
Every time I see you

You only want to listen to the blues, all you ever wanna do
You only want to listen to the blues, it's all you ever wanna do
You only want to listen to the blues

When your spirit's down, and dragging on the ground
It's a feeling you just can't lose
And you'd like to change the way it is
But your heart won't let you choose

And you only want to listen to the blues, all you ever wanna do
You only want to listen to the blues, it's all you ever wanna do
You only want to listen to the blues, all you ever wanna do
You only want to listen to the blues

Darrell Mayes & Steve Soucy © 2004

When a train goes through a tunnel and it gets dark, you don't throw away the ticket and jump off. You sit still and trust the engineer.

~ Corrie Ten Boom
Steve Soucy

Re: You Only Want to Listen to the Blues

Postby HUD » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:06 pm

lucky you (your tune anyway) gets to ride home w/ me tonight on my little mix disc I'm burning here, so I'll get back wichoo.
As I returned across the lands I'd known
I recognized the fields where I'd once played
I had to stop in my tracks for fear
Of walking on the mines I'd laid
HUD

Postby Steve Soucy » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:27 pm

When a train goes through a tunnel and it gets dark, you don't throw away the ticket and jump off. You sit still and trust the engineer.

~ Corrie Ten Boom
Steve Soucy

Postby cjdenecia » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:03 am

well then, this is a pretty standard style and arrangement and I have expected it to be a bit of a bore based on guessing that and the "read" of the lyrics ....

but I am pleasantly surprised. it's more lively than it thinks it's gonna be and it's got a great crafting to it that seems thought out but (as mr ison likes to say) intuitive.

the drums and bass work very very well on this one .... nice kick sound and I genuinely dig the snare rim and bright snare, as well as the great grace notes on the hats - as well as the good cymbal work. bass could stand a bit more imagination but there's certainly nothing wrong with it, I'd just like to hear it hold the same creativity as the rest of the band and it seems it doesn't. but it is a fine low end vibe and recording - just enough note and lots of low feel.

the keyboard work is pretty much just f'ing fabulous. there's no denying that. great choice of voices and where to bring them in and importantly - how to play 'em. marvelous feel to the come and go of the piano, b3, strings, etc .... some of the touches are perfect and the ones that aren't just can't be called perfect cus that award goes only to the creative moments and not the ones that show you're a professional session player. I suppose I could pinpoint the areas I'm talking about but I can't be bothered - suffice it to say that it's a very very impressive recording session for the keyboardist. and a fine job of actually writing the parts to go in and out of the song chord progression (which you can't really get points for cus it's pretty much just standard)

seems to be what sounds like some guitar in the tune - tho sparse. is that guitar on the right ear through the verse? sounds it but could be midi or keys I suppose. at any rate, if it is - it works. well done.

vocals .... great job by the lady. she is talent. and tho she's technically fabulous, she has no lack of substance, style and heart. about all I can say really - she's the top.

btw - before I forget, really fine outro .... nice flip of the feel - tho I hate how poorly you faded the song out.

anyway, heidi really kicks ass and makes what otherwise could have been a bit of a so-so lyric come to life. it's a nice enough little sad story and all but there's nothing really special about any of the words but somehow, she makes them special. that's her gift and her talent - good choice on bringing her into the song.

not quite so sure about the backing vocals though ... jury in my mind is still out on them. at first, I really didn't like them at all. felt they were very out of place and too predominant for what they are but as I relistened, I got more used to them and sorta started to think I like them cus they're sorta lamo oddball and cheesy but not exactly lamo and cheesy. it sounds like there's a bit of a harm coupled with an octave in there and the combo seems a little dissonant when it's not when sung in that register .... it might be the lack of exacting pitches in relationship to the LV ... but any rate I hear that she's one of the BV's and I ain't gonna doubt her. only question that it isn't an immediate love affair with them - that's sometimes good on some levels. sometimes, if it takes TOO LONG to get used to them, it's a song killer.

but not here, the rest is too strong.

production, well, it's a bit, as we say - "dated" but the song won't work this well with any other kind of treatment cus it is after all, a time tested style and presentation. the verbs need to be there. the eq is such that it all pops through. it's very warm and accessible and it breathes as well as heats up.

it's just good. really really good. diana krall good. (tho a bit busy for her arrangement comparisons)

it's funny saucy, I've disliked a lot of idiots online over the years but mostly, they were not only online idiots but talentless pretenders in the music as well. you certainly aren't that. (musically). you do have the chops and the talent in both writing and playing. no denying that. hats off. I still could't stand you for more than 10 minutes before I popped half your teeth out but you do have the licks. props and respect on that.
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby zxyz » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:22 am

wow the complements almost outweighed that final insult. I'm shocked.

I likes the tune Steve. I couldn't hear enough percussion at the beginning, but maybe that was the effect you were going for. Nice, smooth jazzy and easy on the ears. Yup, she's definitely got character and crystal classy voice. I liked the upbeat outro. You're one good keyboardist too, despite what others say about you. :thumb:
zxyz

Location: Way out there somewhere ... maybe a parallel universe or something somewhat similar ..

Postby Steve Soucy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:34 am

~ Corrie Ten Boom
Steve Soucy

Postby Steve Soucy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:36 am

~ Corrie Ten Boom
Steve Soucy

Postby zxyz » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:48 am

zxyz

Location: Way out there somewhere ... maybe a parallel universe or something somewhat similar ..

Postby mistertroll » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:49 am

I don't do covers, but if ever I do one, this would be a candidate. Great songwriting.

This is a great recording. Everything about it works. I'm listening on headphones for the fourth time, and I'm wanting it to be over so I can go back and hit replay again.

Aah, there we go...

I was in my prime in the seventies, and this ties in to it, but not in a saturating fashion. It has a modern sound, as well, but pulls really hard in that seventies direction.

I'm surprised this one isn't making you money somehow.
Keep your booger hook off the bang switch and nobody gets hurt.

mistertroll

Postby mistertroll » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:03 am

Ooh! Sounds really good on speakers, too!
Keep your booger hook off the bang switch and nobody gets hurt.

mistertroll

Postby Steve Soucy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:06 am

~ Corrie Ten Boom
Steve Soucy

Postby Chris K. » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:27 pm

Schmaltz. it's a good song with a very dated arrangement. I'm used to smooth jazz, and it's obvious you took many of your cues from the likes of Spyro Gyra, Grover Washington Jr, etc in the late 70s/early 80s. The almost highly Randy Crawford interpretation here really resonates with me, if I were still doing coke ala 1981. there is no denying the skill of the players --- that's all evident. Love the jazz solo breakdowns; I can certainly see where you listened to a bit of Joe Sample in the day. A bit more of a neo-soul influence (think Jill Scott meets Erykah Badu) in the arrangement would help to move it into the contemporary space that might curry favor in the new world of jazz & soul.
Chris K.

Postby Steve Soucy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:39 pm

You really know your stuff Chris. Thanks very much for listening.

~ Corrie Ten Boom
Steve Soucy

Postby Steve Ison » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:53 pm

This is such a well crafted, classically written song with a wonderful soulful vocal oozing self confidence and great expression thats never overstated-just singing 'for the song'..Really cool chord changes,sweet musical phrasing with real feeling and a great,natural unforced flow..

It actually reveals one of my prejudices tho-i.e how much more i'd love this if it had a more organic sound, more concerned with creating a dreamspace than a showcase for pro-playing,digital clarity and technical precision....

In my mind i want this to have that blissful sunny transcendence, like a Delfonics track from '71 with real strings (god i hate those cheezy synth ones)-or those backing vocals cracklin' with lofi goodness and chamber reverbed to the max like 'i only have eyes for you' by The Flamingos....Giving me atmosphere

Instead i get this dull, ultra-polite cruise-ship supperclub sound,with-admittedly very technically adept performances, but (for me) totally lacking in any genuine vibiness and transcendence...I don't want those chart-appeasing, dance-lite drums coming in on the chorus-I want the dreamspace of a blissed out Beach Boys laying back in the sun smoking a fatty oooooooing ethereally, 'cos (for me) i only wanna listen to the blues..

But its your vision-i've gotta respect that (even tho i don't understand it-just like you prob wouldn't understand mine lol)
We definitely have a complete and total disparity in taste-and how we like our music dressed tho-thats f'sure.. ..

Anyways , good song.. 8-)
Keepin' it unreal
Steve Ison

Postby HUD » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:06 pm

I thought this tune had a lot of class.
Don't tend to consider this so much "dated" as "timeless". Any contemporizing would probably make this sound more dated by 2020.
The fade is rather abrupt, leading me to suspect that this is the edited/abridged version. If you've got the album version lying around anywhere, please do post, since this does sound like it was just getting going into a nice cool little jam.
As I returned across the lands I'd known
I recognized the fields where I'd once played
I had to stop in my tracks for fear
Of walking on the mines I'd laid
HUD

Next

Return to REVIEWS! (Pre-Audiopolis Review System Days)