[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4554: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4556: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4557: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4558: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
Audio Refugees • View topic - The Stebshank Redemption - The Life Online

The Stebshank Redemption - The Life Online

A place where new and existing members can put links to their music without asking for specific song reviews. A musical hello.

The Stebshank Redemption - The Life Online

Postby steban » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:44 am

stebshank redemption_the life online.mp3
(7.01 MiB) Downloaded 121 times

I uploaded the original version of this song a couple months ago, and our good friend shankarji listened and was intrigued by the idea of a reggae version. My version was only reggae in my head, but I am still happy with how it came out, very different as I play instruments and drums much more liberally.

At any rate, we overcame some technical difficulties, and a 3:30 reggae song was created which was pretty cool. However, it was decided that a bigger production would befit this song, and so it was done.

I allowed ji to have at it, and he did. I sang my part best I could, and after that offered a couple minor suggestions that made it to the final version, and all I can say is, I have been honored.

He is quite the arranger, and a good lyricist as well. Music's not bad either. None of us have inspired collabs like this all that often, and when it comes together, it is pure joy.

So it is reggae fusion, but I still feel it is primarily reggae with pop rock potential.
steban

Re: The Stebshank Redemption - The Life Online

Postby cjdenecia » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:14 am

you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby steban » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:20 pm

steban

Postby cjdenecia » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:18 pm

you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby Krispy » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:59 am

Well, I do believe this is may be the most listener-pleasure orientated production ever for you Stebs!
Are all the lyrics yours or did you co-write with Shanks? If so you must be on Facebook. To know the thrills and the heartache, I mean.

The song has a very sad and discouraging opening, which is quite the misdirection. Nasty hiss, as previously stated. :eek:
Ji is a master of the repeat reverb there which does your style huge favours.
I did think the 'almost/always the same' goes on a bit, but then perhaps that's because it has to always be the same. :mrgreen:
Very nice job on thickening your voice with backing which gives it all a push and makes you more melodically coherent. Everything vocally is quite 'back there' - did he makes you send vox without any effects? If not I wonder if he was trying to match the sound you provided? Anyway, not much warmth.

My favourite part is the dub section - who played bass? Surely not the mighty Brother of the Chillum?

There's a twist of irony in 'Like me if you can' which (guess what) I like, and on the whole the tongue-in-cheek slant works. Shanks has done well in recognising and indicating the changes and directions in your writing, a hallmark of his composition anyway, but it's something you had little clue about. Hopefully you'll learn from him! I almost forgot Shanks is almost a genre of his own.

I listened twice which is quite the accomplishment. The old-school detail (by which I mean not squashed to death by production) makes it worth it.

Good to hear the old git is still making music. One day I'll get my arse on the train and go invade his personal space. :P
To save time, assume I know everything
Krispy

Return to Introducing .... you and your music!