RIP Tom Petty and Country Music and Gun Control

Nicey-nice talk is here.

RIP Tom Petty and Country Music and Gun Control

Postby steban » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:48 pm

What a way to begin the week! After all the hurricanes, after all the bellicosity with North Korea, we have the worst mass shooting in history in Vegas at a country music concert, and then Tom passes away.

He was a couple years older than me, and a fellow central Floridian. I remember my college roommate bringing home the first album I'd heard of his. It was so much like the Byrds, I thought then, and it was in many ways. However, he managed to have a style of his own and a penchant for writing catchy songs, and he claimed a solid spot alongside the Allman Brothers and Lynyrd Skynyrd in early Southern Rock.

Hey, we even covered his song here with a large collaboration way back when we were Audiorefugees.com. It was actually very good, even I was on it for a few seconds.

It could even be claimed our first site name was partly inspired by his song, You Don't Have to Live Like a Refugee, as we felt like audio refugees from GarageBand.com and then AudioVillage.com. You can hear the song here now, just search for refugee.

I had always dreamed of Tom joining our site on some honorary level, to be honest. That's not going to happen, but in spirit he already is. We love you, Tom.
everyone is in the middle
we all run at different speeds
everyone has special talents
everyone is special needs
steban

Re: RIP Tom Petty and Country Music and Gun Control

Postby zxyz » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:22 am

Damn.. Ole Tom's dead .. I cant keep up .. // that sucks.. RIP Tom .. after my divorce and my move back to florida I'm lost ... the hurricanes hit and WTF.. You're a native Floridian dude? I grew up here and I moved back.... looking for a band but no luck... My Mom and my aunt are the only family here left ... soooo alone now ....... How are you Stebs? .. Looks like this place is a ghost- ville now ........ party time woo hoo :beer: lol ...
zxyz

Location: Way out there somewhere ... maybe a parallel universe or something somewhat similar ..

Postby Ailwyn Rees » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:54 pm

zxyz wrote:Looks like this place is a ghost- ville now ........ party time woo hoo :beer: lol ...

I like it here... It's quiet and I like ghosts!
If you've had a review recently just savour the moment!!!
Ailwyn Rees

Postby cjdenecia » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:56 pm

zxyz wrote:Damn.. Ole Tom's dead .. I cant keep up .. // that sucks.. RIP Tom .. after my divorce and my move back to florida I'm lost ... the hurricanes hit and WTF.. You're a native Floridian dude? I grew up here and I moved back.... looking for a band but no luck... My Mom and my aunt are the only family here left ... soooo alone now ....... How are you Stebs? .. Looks like this place is a ghost- ville now ........ party time woo hoo :beer: lol ...

don't forget steve. I spent nearly 30 years in florida. and in fact, stebs grew up next to the town I lived in .... (as in no miles between, city life, line next to line)

right off cape canaveral/ cocoa beach.

lots of good people there.
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby zxyz » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:32 am

cj!! you're still here.. :0 I guess you're running the place? (such as it is ) // my fam & I are pretty far south of coacoa and the space-port but same terr. I grew up here actually, there are pics of me as a little tiny white haired boy prob 6 yrs old in fla. my daddy and granddad lived here. have you recorded anything lately? I'm going to be hopefully knocking the cobwebs off of the recording equipment soon. All of it survived hurricane irma unlike some other stuff o mine .. cheerz :beer: come back down to fla.. i'll buy u a beer 8-) (if I can afford it) ..
zxyz

Location: Way out there somewhere ... maybe a parallel universe or something somewhat similar ..

Postby cjdenecia » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:50 pm

zxyz wrote:cj!! you're still here.. :0 I guess you're running the place? (such as it is ) // my fam & I are pretty far south of coacoa and the space-port but same terr. I grew up here actually, there are pics of me as a little tiny white haired boy prob 6 yrs old in fla. my daddy and granddad lived here. have you recorded anything lately? I'm going to be hopefully knocking the cobwebs off of the recording equipment soon. All of it survived hurricane irma unlike some other stuff o mine .. cheerz :beer: come back down to fla.. i'll buy u a beer 8-) (if I can afford it) ..

I'm NOT still here steve ..... and nobody is running the place. it's still open and online cus gregg wants it to be. and cus ailwyn, you and stebs post from time to time. me, I get notifications that somebody has posted so depending on my schedule, I come and reply or I forget ....

anyway, sorry you got caught up in the horrid florida hurricane season this year but obviously, it could have been far worse so lucky ya'll.

btw - I do come back to florida every 12 to 18 months, I have elderly parents there and otherwise, some family that isn't totally wacko that I want to see now and then. but that will likely be changing and we'll once again base ourselves out of northern NY state ....

dunno. but I'm in jolly old blightly, living the dream.
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Return to General Discussion