[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4554: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4556: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4557: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4558: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
Audio Refugees • View topic - We need a new Audio Refugees collab bad!

We need a new Audio Refugees collab bad!

Post your ideas for collaboration here.

Re: We need a new Audio Refugees collab bad!

Postby HUD » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:05 pm

As I returned across the lands I'd known
I recognized the fields where I'd once played
I had to stop in my tracks for fear
Of walking on the mines I'd laid
HUD

Postby Ailwyn Rees » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:37 pm

...and then there were none...
Ailwyn Rees

Postby cjdenecia » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:37 am

you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby ptalbot » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:59 am

ptalbot

Postby HUD » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:08 pm

OK... Just cranked this (nobody else in my wing of the office today for some reason...) on some fairly decent speakers (for a PC), and don't get whatcher problem is with these drums, Pat. They just sound pretty dang normal to me, if a skoash lower in volume than what I might be tempted to do.

Do notice that Kim's pretty 'verbbed up beyond what I'd normally expect from a cj production - not that I (or Stebs) have a problem with that.

But yeah, I can turn this up and not have some random person walking by and saying "what the hell's this homemade shit?", so it's a win.
As I returned across the lands I'd known
I recognized the fields where I'd once played
I had to stop in my tracks for fear
Of walking on the mines I'd laid
HUD

Postby ptalbot » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:27 pm

What the drums are playing is fine. I just think their sound is hyped and unnatural.
Over-compressed and the room/reverb have too much highs, which makes them very unreal and accentuates the MIDI feel.

If you listen to any sound in a big room you will find that the high frequencies will be absorbed/attenuated very quickly and not enhanced.
That's just the physics of reverb: the wavelengths of high frequencies are too small to allow them to fight against the air in the room and bounce very far against the walls. Right now the sound I hear from the drums (and the drums alone, which makes them even more unnatural and detached from the rest of the instrumentation) has hyped high frequencies in the ambience/reverb, it sounds metallic and plain weird to me.

You might like this sound, but I maintain that there is something very wrong with it and that it kills the vibe of that tune.
I don't mind being alone with that thought. But listen to drums recorded in a real room in any commercial recordings and pay attention to the ambience, and you will hopefully hear what I'm saying.
ptalbot

Postby cjdenecia » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:38 am

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby ptalbot » Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:59 am

Yep. Not my cup of tea pretty much sums it up.
But there's no such thing as universal when it comes to music taste. And that's generally a good thing!

I have no problem with Addictive Drums as such. There are a few nice kits and I've used them occasionally.
I never liked the sound of their processed room though and still don't. It's very characteristic (in a bad way).

Merry Xmas to you too and your families and to all the brave few that still wander here!
ptalbot

Postby Krispy » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:20 am

To save time, assume I know everything
Krispy

Postby Ailwyn Rees » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:38 am

...and then there were none...
Ailwyn Rees

Postby slywitt » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:50 am

Sounds really good.

I had just re-posted a re-mix of my latest in the 'works in progress' thread, thinking I had really improved my mix...now listening to this, oops...

1. How do you get the volume?
2. How do you mix the drums to be so 'present'?
3. How do you do those things that you do when you do those things that were done?

Color me impressed.
Orationem pulchram non habens, scribo ista linea in lingua Latina
slywitt

Postby cjdenecia » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:01 pm

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby steban » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:13 pm

Even though there are ways to get drums etc to sound more realistic, it seems to me that what is wrong/different is often precisely the aspect that sets a song apart.

Midi has expanded the repertoire of sounds, not merely reproducing real instrument sounds. Now as Pat points out, there might be some adverse technical side effects to midi sounds that may or may not be all wonderful, but that is also true of the real room. Play in a castle, outdoors, in a garage, you get the good and the bad. I suppose the concept of making everything sound like it is the same room is valid, it certainly isn't a rule never to be broken, and that is true on every hit record, by the best bands including Zep. Occasionally they break the rules so much it becomes their signature sound.

I'm using these Zep styled drums on my latest/last of 14 song, and they are heavy! But I just love them! I have a major weakness achieving a lighter sound.

Come Home is a very melodic classy classic rock song, very well behaved, very structured, and lyrically works without knowing the backstory.

Us one man bands, when we collab, inevitably will not sound the way we independently would imagine, but they are often pretty amazing. If we had all chimed in on Sly's Hey hey hey it might have been better in some ways but might have lost its edginess in others.
steban

Postby Peevette » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:58 am

Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
Peevette

Previous

Return to iCollab