[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4554: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4556: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4557: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4558: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
Audio Refugees • View topic - We need a new Audio Refugees collab bad!

We need a new Audio Refugees collab bad!

Post your ideas for collaboration here.

Re: We need a new Audio Refugees collab bad!

Postby ingolee » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:24 am

ingolee

Postby cjdenecia » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:02 am

COME HOME_audcollab3mix8_full_arrangement_edits_ADDs4.mp3
(10.11 MiB) Downloaded 84 times

a few more changes and working on the final mix now - pat, run your test now please. I'm curious where this mastering sits ...

and then ... the extended outro thing ... we need to knock the list of names down to 4 or 5 dozen and that shouldn't be too hard if most just are audio refugee names - with a few older ones tucked in ...

first, the outro with kim doing her 2 parts on the COME HOME, we need a large version of this, harmony and unison parts. on the spoken names, I've simply stuck them in one way, there are alternate methods but all in all, the names really need to be beat sensitive. the first version is with her doing names (and then C&P'd), the next version has no names and is for recording to.

COME HOME_audcollab3mix4_full_arrangement_ext_outro_demo.mp3
(3.43 MiB) Downloaded 85 times

COME HOME_audcollab3mix4_full_arrangement_ext_outro_demo_no_names.mp3
(3.43 MiB) Downloaded 87 times

I think what to do is self explanatory but if not - ask.
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby ingolee » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:30 am

This is the plug-in if you are interested. Haven't tried it myself, can't say if it works or not.

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/tt_dyna ... foundation
ingolee

Postby ptalbot » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:21 am

Your new version is better cj!

But yes, ingloee pointed you to the TT Dynamic Meter which is an essential tool to check your masters, to make sure you don't go overboard.
It's so easy because our ears fools us constantly: we will always think that louder is better.
But then if you level match, you hear that it's actually not better: when you lose dynamic, it's often worse.

A Dynamic Range of less than 8 is often too much. For power rock, you can go down to 7 and it will be fine.
In your case, right now you are at 6.7
I usually run my tunes between DR10 and DR8 depending on the style. One thing is for sure: you want to keep these transients!

I imported your track in Cubase and did a few things to try and regain some dynamic.
You've scooped a lot from 400hz to 1kz but you've lost some meat and warmth by doing so. So I tried to compensate that with Multiband Compression/Expansion in Ozone. Added some tape saturation as well to try and get some of that warmth back.

Then I noticed that the track was quite congested, so I added a good deal of width with Ozone and Equalizer in M/S mode and some Stereo Enhancer.
I didn't go overboard because you don't want to lose mono compatibility, but the correlation meter shows that you're still in good shape.
Still this helps separating a little bit more some of the instrumentation which is very dense to say the least.

You will see that the DR on my test here is 7.6/7.3 which is slightly better.
I would still try to back off the limiter a bit on your master bus. Try to regain some of that 400 to 1kz, and add stereo enhancement if you have some plugins for it.
BTW, always try to set the max output of your master between -1db and -.3db because mp3 conversion is always clipping otherwise.
In my test, I've output to -.6db and the mp3 conversion did max this to -.44 abd -.26db

One thing that I couldn't fix was the very bright reverb/room on the snare. It sounds very artificial/MIDI right now. I would try to use a high-shelf on that room mic or on the reverb you've used, this would help make it sound more natural IMHO.

Hope this helps!
Attachments
Come_home-master_test.mp3
(10.11 MiB) Downloaded 84 times
ptalbot

Postby cjdenecia » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:36 am

Attachments
COME HOME_audcollab3mix9_master2.mp3
(10.15 MiB) Downloaded 84 times

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby ptalbot » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:01 am

Yes, I think for this track DR7 is probably OK because of the dense instrumentation.

And of course things are better dealt with at the mixing stage...
There's only so much you can do with mastering, it's just the icing on the cake, if the cake is mush, then the icing will not help! ;)

But hey! We're always learning in this stuff, which is what makes it fun, isn't it?
ptalbot

Postby Krispy » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:55 am

I am confused.
To save time, assume I know everything
Krispy

Postby Ailwyn Rees » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:29 pm

...and then there were none...
Ailwyn Rees

Postby cjdenecia » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:38 am

... ahem .... check check 1 2, is this thing on?

made all the adjustments I could hear needed making ...
Attachments
COME HOME_audcollab3mix9_master2.mp3
(10.15 MiB) Downloaded 90 times

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby zxyz » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:19 am

Wow .. sure am sorry that I missed this one .. too much life-sht going on in the last couple of weeks. Maybe I can catch the next one .. Cool song you-all !
zxyz

Location: Way out there somewhere ... maybe a parallel universe or something somewhat similar ..

Postby cjdenecia » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:48 am

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby Ailwyn Rees » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:49 pm

...and then there were none...
Ailwyn Rees

Postby cjdenecia » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:03 pm

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby cjdenecia » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:11 pm

Attachments
COME HOME_audcollab3mix10_master2.mp3
(9.96 MiB) Downloaded 107 times

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby slywitt » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:33 am

That's fucking Brilliant!!!
Orationem pulchram non habens, scribo ista linea in lingua Latina
slywitt

PreviousNext

Return to iCollab