[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4554: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4556: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4557: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4558: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
Audio Refugees • View topic - Fur trader collab

Fur trader collab

Post your ideas for collaboration here.

Re: Fur trader collab

Postby Krispy » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:08 pm

OK, here's a snippet with some ideas I had - hope I matched up the tracks right, it's Ingo's 8 min track versus Stebs' last vocal track. Just some impro warbling awash with reverb like all them divas do. I basically just picked out and highlighted the more poetic phrases and filled in between.

Also, I took the hiss out of you Stebs - which is much better than the piss - it was putting me off.

furtraders_kim_ideas.mp3
(1.53 MiB) Downloaded 144 times

Stebs, do you know you are repeating yourself? Listen to what happens at 3:02 and at 5:11 on your track.

Also, I can't hear 'Mastermade' without hearing 'masturbate'. Just thought you should know. :D
To save time, assume I know everything
Krispy

Postby steban » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:38 am

steban

Postby ingolee » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:42 am

Attachments
Ambient1.1.mp3
(9.85 MiB) Downloaded 141 times
ingolee

Postby Krispy » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:41 am

Krispy

Postby ingolee » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:08 am

ingolee

Postby Krispy » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:31 am

Krispy

Postby ingolee » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:17 pm

ingolee

Postby Krispy » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:00 pm

Attachments
furtraders_kim_1.1.mp3
(12.14 MiB) Downloaded 138 times
Krispy

Postby Krispy » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:01 pm

Also, can I stop calling you 'Ingo' and call you 'Ned' or whatever. It doesn't matter if your name isn't Ned.
Krispy

Postby ingolee » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:10 pm

Your track fits very nicely Krispy and doesn't seem loud at all to me. I had posted this earlier but it has changed a bit. Set tempo to 80 bpm, put it on your grid and it will line up with this chart. What ever works for you with effects, you can always change it later; and call me what you like, I'm easy!

8 bars solo piano Cmaj7; then 3 bars of synth fluff, then an eight bar intro section, Steban enters 2 bars into this:

Cadd9---|----|----|----|----|----|Fm6---|----|

Then the main part, which is 46 measures long, drums and bass start 1 bar into this:

|C---|----|----|----|F#m---|----|----|----|

|Cm---|----|----|----|Em---|----|----|----|

|Gm---|----|Am---|----|F---|----|----|----|

|Dm---|----|----|----|C---|----|----|----|

|Bb---|----|A---|----|F#m---|----|G#m---|----|

|Gm---|----|G---|----|G9---|----|

Then it starts the main section over again after "Col. Tommy Bakersfield, not particularly normal" and ends on C7 instead of Em.

|C---|----|----|----|F#m---|----|----|----|

|Cm---|----|----|----|C7---|----|----|----| end.

Also your track runs on to about 8:50 in silence, unless my player is acting up.
ingolee

Postby Krispy » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:50 pm

Krispy

Postby steban » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:07 am

The ideas are pretty cool in the new part, Kim. Very dramatic, especially the timpani and vibrating cabinet buzz hit, very sci-fi. It is quite interesting to hear a section at a time expanded upon, and then imagine how it is put back together later. I am not fond of hearing my own naked voice, so please hurry up and throw some verb on them! I'm joking, mostly. But I am quite willing to redo any or everything if you say so.

So as to hiss, I have some tools for it, not sure I use them effectively. I get that total silence between phrases by highlighting each gap and one by one applying Silence in Wavelab. Listened to alone it is very noticeable, probably unusable a capella, but I think it probably helps when mixing tracks. I have to take care not to chop off some s or t or th trailing breaths.

The bass is good fast, it counteracts the long keyboard notes shifting neatly from laid back to let's get a move on. And already the drums have a thunderous feel, great separation. This is progressing rapidly, I am extremely impressed and pleased with the direction. It is becoming impossible not to mentally associate this music to these words. I hope you don't mind my staying out of this phase. I might offer some ambient sounds in the next phase, nothing structural.
steban

Postby cjdenecia » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:19 am

so .. ned it is. I too, disliked calling you ingo. seems sorta "bydabingo" .... sorry, that's a local joke.

stebs ... I don't know what you're using for recording/mixing but hopefully it's something that can utilize simple direct x or vst plugins ... find a copy of WAVES (even an old copy - version 4 would do) and do some experimenting with the effect called X-noise. if not this plug-in, find something. you can't expect others to clean up your act man. at least not big problems. what you need is a noise reduction effect, something that can reduce the various types of noise (pink or white) that apparently is part of your recordings without greatly altering your actual recorded track.

also, you'd do well to tweak your gear to reduce such problems. it takes time and effort but it's worth the trouble and you owe it to your co-collaborators. yeah, in reality, it can take many hours to figure it out and get it right but that's part of the process and if you want people to work with you, you'll have to put in the work. you don't seriously think kim just happened upon her settings and setup do you? yeah, I did a lot of her cleanup for a long time but she got to the point where she figured she should learn how and she did. both by learning the hardware AND the software.

and once you learn, you can utilize it for ALL of your stuff. maybe even getting to the point where you can avoid pissing me off in the review system with the obnoxious sounds. this is simple shit man. fundamental and rudimentary. step up your game.
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby steban » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:00 am

Thanks for the lesson and Waves X-Noise suggestion, ceej. It seems to be going for $500 new, and I'm not seeing any old versions for sale.

Well, that ain't happening, but it did lead me to find a Reaper alternative called Reafir which has a similar subtract mode that learns a noise and then cancels it out. The Youtube video was very impressive, and very easy to use, although I never used them properly in the past I see now, and it might be enough for my setup. I see it as
a) there is a lot of consistent background noise
b) there is equipment noise possibly in my current setup

I can reduce most background noise by hiding in the bathroom, but not b). So I am going to try plugging my mic directly into the audio interface as it has two mono mic/lin inputs on the front and see if that is cleaner.

And then try the cheap Reafir noise reduction. And you're right, I can be a noise cancelling fool for other tracks as well.
steban

Postby ingolee » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:55 am

furtrader_part2.mp3
(9.83 MiB) Downloaded 147 times

Here's part 2 of the fur trader epic. Let me know what you think, change, delete?
ingolee

PreviousNext

Return to iCollab