[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4554: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4556: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4557: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4558: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
Audio Refugees • View topic - Fur trader collab

Fur trader collab

Post your ideas for collaboration here.

Re: Fur trader collab

Postby Krispy » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:08 am

Good show Stebs, I never woulda thought it could be done.

Ingo, I think I'll wait until Stebs has drafted in his 'lead' part to see how we can work around it. And I mean that in a non-derogatory way.
To save time, assume I know everything
Krispy

Postby ingolee » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:20 pm

ingolee

Postby ingolee » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:58 pm

If anyone is interested, here is the chord chart to Ambient1. Tempo is 80 bpm.

8 bars solo piano Cmaj7; then an eight bar intro section:

Cadd9---|----|----|----|----|----|Fm6---|----|

Then the main part, which is 46 measures long and plays 3 times through:

|C---|----|----|----|F#m---|----|----|----|

|Cm---|----|----|----|Em---|----|----|----|

|Gm---|----|Am---|----|F---|----|----|----|

|Dm---|----|----|----|C---|----|----|----|

|Bb---|----|A---|----|F#m---|----|G#m---|----|

|Gm---|----|G---|----|G9---|----|

After the third chorus; two bars of G (can't hear the second one) and then the solo piano part repeats to end it.
ingolee

Postby steban » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:50 pm

More lyrics! This picks up from the last post, It is kind of long, almost to the end. This is very very rough, and it has parts for different voices, mainly Terrence Periwine, Dominique Angelique, Capt. Bannister, and Sir Lancelot, as well as some choruses of the people etc. Some spoken, maybe two voices for it. Whoa Nellie!

I haven't even tried to sing anything or fit anything yet.

so it is six months later, first word had just arrived
from the last ship to Camelot
the Starship Aquarius sits in space dock, fueled
with a bellyful of nkchiefs to trade
the crew all here, supply checks complete
ready to board the passengers in the morning
a party of six from MasterMade, not particularly normal
ten military led by a Colonel Tommy Bakersfield, also abnormal
and twenty-five settlers, a balanced mix of men, women and preferences
tonight there’s time to have a few drinks
with strangers for one last time

she was sitting at a table alone
I knew who she was from the passenger manifest
the eldest daughter of Victor Vigeant
the world’s first quadrillionaire and owner of MasterMade
the largest and most profitable corporation of all time
her nanomakeup was working overdrive
I thought about not walking over and introducing myself
for about seven and a half seconds

hello, Dominique Angelique, I’m ---
--- Terrence Periwine, Chief Fur Trader this time
a pleasure to be known by you ---
--- oh, the pleasure is all mine!
--- I’ve grown up with the legendary tales
--- and was wondering how you were in the flesh
I smile into stormy grey eyes and say, fresh

her smile back is so subtly enhanced I forget it is
so what is MasterMade’s business, if you don’t mind me asking?
--- trade, like yours
for the giant mink, perhaps?
--- my father is so obsessed with it, and I volunteered
a dark ripple of concern crosses her face, almost fear
good luck with that, but let’s talk shop later, dear
--- wasting no time, Chief Fur Trader, sir!
--- Alright, now please order us both a beer

it will have taken almost three months of constant acceleration
for the Aquarius to reach the 88000 miles per second
required to achieve warp speed tomorrow
what a day to wake up and find out bad news while still in bed
Simone the settler and Private Chip Montgomery fell in love
and she cried because he would not be staying
when he told her a secret, he might actually not be leaving for a long time
Ecstatic from the news, Simone tells Artemis who tells me
so we plant a few nanospies in a few key places
and raise just enough curiosity to set off some cross talk
we haven’t been waiting long when we get cold hard proof

he told her ---
--- but how much?
I don’t know
--- it might not be enough
she told them something, they were quietly asking around ---
--- but they don’t know about the base
no, but ---
--- or its purpose, about MasterMade
no, but ---
--- they don’t know about the
I don’t think so ---
--- the deal we have
um, keep your voice down ---
--- with the Knights
how could they?
--- so we’re safe
I suppose
--- for now

I’m so mad I’d like to face them now
I won’t need no nanomakeup to convey my ire
but we have to learn just a little more
protect our tiny lead
leave them no time left to score

warp speed is oh so fast
it just gets started
and then it’s passed
time for dinner
a glass of wine
and check the readings
one more time
and then you’re almost there within earshot
and in three more months
of constant deceleration
we will finally be in orbit around Camelot

so break out the good stuff
for the almost there party
it’s good luck and tradition
so get out of your cabin
and as your host I have a special toast
please stand up, our guests from MasterMade
and let me applaud your cutthroat cleverness
I would have thought those Knights were too chivalrous
to succumb to the usual blackmail and bribes
but you are especially good at disguising bad vibes
and indeed I detected no trace in her nanomadeup face
and they looked like real tears in her augmented eyes

Dominique Angelique collapses in my arms
her nanoskin opaque, sensing her unconscious state
and I begin to doubt her complicity
and just as surprising Colonel Bakersfield’s face is red as a beet
and it hits me they were not in on the plan
the were both slammed as the proverbial shit hit the fan
she revives and pulls herself close and whispers in my ear
I didn’t know, please let me discover who is doing what to whom
she regains her perfect poise and silently walks out of the room
the party prematurely over on a note of doom and gloom

passes out, the military don’t know of the deal

every visitor to this planet who wants to be in the know
watches Days of Camelot, the top talk show
get the gossip and low down on issues du jour
and it was on every monitor, that was for sure

the first day was normal except for a brief mention
joking about a possible giant mink convention
the next day the tone was more grave
a villager was attacked and apprarently eaten

now our final story this Gawainday
another in a long line of beautiful Days of Camelot
is a report on a sighting of a possible giant mink convention
but nothing to worry about, it’s confined to the outer region

no need for alarm but we are obligated to mention
a villager was just attacked and apparently eaten

so unbelievable, this Galaday, so indescribable
you can see for yourself
the giant minks on video
swimming across the moat
and surrounding the castle
like fifteen foot hairy crocodiles
that can climb the stone walls
men are lined at the top
constantly pushing back the onslaught
on Camelot in a process quite manual

you’re the military, what is your plan?
you’re the captain, aren’t you the main man?
how about it, fur trader, it is technically in your purview
after all, you are after those furs, aren’t you?

they were right, I saw a fortune aside from the danger of being eaten
from what we could glean there were tens of thousands of them
and I had a wild idea, sort of stolen from another fairy tale
the Pied Piper of Hamlin in reverse, perhaps use sound to repel
we had a hold packed with nkchiefs, nanofabric tablets
they were fully programmable to stick themselves together
and assume any shape and size
to show large video and in theory play very loud sound
Leon has his drums online, I have my guitar plugged in
and we land in a mass of minks and the battle of the band begins

the cargo bay opens to a horrific first glimpse of these truly monstrous vermin
but also coated with incredibly beautiful fur that looks utterly soft and ultra shiny
and we crank up the volume
and fantastically in two minutes time the minks retreat a few hundred feet
but they scurry back and forth as if eager to try again any second
so we quickly load all the pallets in our ATVs and roll out onto the spaceway, and with some rapid reprogramming
reconfigure the nkchiefs into a sound system equivalent in decibels to every rock band from 1971 playing simultaneously
we warn the people in the castle to wear noise cancellation ear plugs because
Camelot was about to rock

so we play back our tracks and we jam along with ourselves
even in the soundproof cabins we feel the pounding rhythm in our bones
I never played so loud before or after
actually, nobody ever had!
flanking them on the left, we force a full retreat of the minks climbing up the castle wall
leaving a layer of their dead ten feet high at its base
soon they are escaping like a buffalo stampede in a cloud of tangerine dust
and twelve minutes later turns out to be enough, and we turn the sound off

hooray for the Interstellar Fur Traders!
you saved us all
you saved the castle
we’re ever so thankful

just let us trade you what saved you
these nkchiefs will be of assistance
to keep the giant mink at a distance
for those piles of prize furs

to me Sir Lancelot’s acceptance has a gloating undertone
when Dominique Angelique suddenly shocks us all

your crooked deal was with MasterMade, not me, Sir
which I find contractually within my power not to honor
no one can stop me, not even my father
the people will decide, I merely cause your exposure

he’s a fraud, fraught with flaws
a fake, not Knight or saint
we strip you of your seat
in light of this complaint
and in your place it would be complete
if it could be Dominique Angelique

so last I heard she became the queen
some say that was Victor’s plan all along
all I know is that song became the planetary anthem
to this day they play it every sunset and sunrise to ward off the mink
steban

Postby ingolee » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:44 am

Wow! Very interesting Steban, it's a good story. I look forward to hearing how it fits with the music. Wondering what every band from 1971 at the same time would sound like!? Not sure I have a sample for that, although my old DX7 does have something called 'Volcano explosion' I think. Maybe phase cancellation would render it audible to mink ears only? Carry on, you have our attention!
ingolee

Postby steban » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:42 am

So here is a practice mix, third try, I just spoke along to see how it fit and continued a capella, about 13 minutes.

stolenmink.mp3
(11.92 MiB) Downloaded 143 times

That's a lot to trim! I think I was chugging along pretty fast this try, kind of rushed rather than leisurely, that might actually be good, don't want to drag, but I'm thinking, Ingo, we need more music. Possibly we need a second theme for the second half, as if there is part one pre-warp drive and part two post warp drive and arrival. Post warp has a lot of confrontation and action and a happy ending. There could be a short during warp part between them. Ideally the ending would hearken back to the opening like it currently does.

There's a little slappy echo effect that is just there on my vocals, and I took the liberty of singing all the parts in different voices very poorly as I'm making up melody on the fly. This mix seems a little muffled to me.

But I'm also imagining some parts having variations on the tune and arrangement. I just haven't actually imagined what they'd actually sound like yet!
steban

Postby Krispy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:14 am

Krispy

Postby steban » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:43 am

I had a lot of hissing going on, Krispy, ceiling fan, a PC and a laptop, too much effect, TV and house noise, and that turning the dial to the left thing on top of it. I'm sorry about that. And the music stops at about 7 minutes as you will soon discover when you try to listen to the second half.

It is rather long. Part of me says break it up into different songs, and part of me says let it just go its gamut.

This would be a challenging video for Banister, though, somehow filming minks close up so they look really large and green screened so they look like they're attacking humans.
steban

Postby ingolee » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:30 pm

I actually like your latest version Steban but it is technically flawed and as Krispy says pretty much unlistenable. The concept is good and you do have a good voice for narration and singing. But you must get your recording gear in order and learn to use limiting and compression if we are to get a decent result here. For the initial recording no effects please, it limits us when we mix later on. If you need help with any of this please ask, there are people here who know things!

We will have to break this into shorter separate movements or it will be too difficult to deal with. We can reassemble the sections later or just leave them as separate pieces, that's easy to do either way. We don't want you to rush your narration and we want spaces left for other music, perhaps like this:
AmbFrag1.mp3
(3.58 MiB) Downloaded 135 times

But in any event just relax and phrase it the way you want. Then pick a dividing point that leaves us with something less than 5 minutes please, otherwise it's going to be too hard to deal with. We'll get the first section mostly done before we work on the others, however many there may be. That way we can figure out what we are doing before we get hopelessly lost in a huge piece.

If you are going to sing some of the parts that's great, but you must be very specific about the placement and what melody you choose because those parts need to go on a separate track to allow processing and arranging. That will be easier for everyone and will give a better result.
ingolee

Postby steban » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:47 pm

steban

Postby Krispy » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:19 pm

Krispy

Postby ingolee » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:47 am

ingolee

Postby steban » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:21 pm

Here is vox only part 1, which I let go on a while and repeat some parts for grins. It ends at cold hard proof.

minkstolenvox-01.mp3
(6.02 MiB) Downloaded 144 times

It is recorded with no effects whatsoever except I had to increase the gain. I'm hoping it is usable, or at least a step in the right direction.

Perhaps you can work with it, Ingo.

I've spoken through the dialog, just can't get a real melody going, plus doing it alone is strange.
steban

Postby ingolee » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:06 am

ingolee

Postby steban » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:20 am

steban

PreviousNext

Return to iCollab