[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4554: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4556: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4557: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4558: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
Audio Refugees • View topic - Fur trader collab

Fur trader collab

Post your ideas for collaboration here.

Fur trader collab

Postby ingolee » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:56 pm

I don't know if Steban is still pursuing interstellar fantasies or accepting suggestions from nosy non-participants, but that never stopped me before. The first edition of the fur trader epic was criticized (rightly so) for having a disconnect between the music and the narration, possibly because Steban used the typical songwriter approach of laying down rhythm first and then trying to match other elements to that.

Why not do the narration first, and then use the cinematic approach of adding musical elements as needed, perhaps without a typical "rhythm section"? And if Krispy were to agree to collab and add some of her mystical musings, possibly a cappella, it would be a perfect fit.
ingolee

Re: Fur trader collab

Postby steban » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:13 pm

I'm open to suggestions and beyond, Ingo. Just as the 'tales' turn into legends over time, so the music and story can evolve.

I'm a bit busy fixing my truck this weekend (intake manifold gaskets), and I hate fixing cars, too old but sometimes too expensive to take anywhere, but I will post shortly the next continuation of the back story for general amusement.

I happened to listen to a couple of your electronic songs just the other day, and you are really good at the soundtrack approach. I have the 7 separate tracks, if helpful, one being the spoken part.

Frankly, I think back fondly on our collabs here, a handful I've had the good fortune to be a part of. I'm not big on history repeating itself, but I like the idea of a new artistic challenge. Individually we are somewhat talented, together we are brilliant.
steban

Postby steban » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:17 pm

The continuation of the pilot episode, "Mink Stolen".

There is a plot to demand a pound of flesh from the colonists because they are too prurient. There is a plot to establish a military base on the colony planet. There is a plot to try to establish a corporate vertical marketing scheme by setting up a local operation that bypasses locals using the new military.

The action begins on the planet and flashes back to Earth. The characters on the ship are fifty, some crew, some passengers. There is intrigue, romance, heartbreak, tragedy, surprise.
.The planet is known for its record sizes for many animals. Last year the Starship Aquarius brought back one mink pelt. It was large enough to make a floor length coat for any one of the beautiful but tall athletic local women. Like a super Serena Williams, as a couple hundred years of Wimbledon was available on nanodrive. And of all sports, tennis became the only sport anybody played. Not really. People played a lot of sports on Camelot. Yes, they named their planet Camelot. And they had a round table. Some became pro athletes on other planets, especially tennis players. But the word of the fur traders was there were supposed to be more of these large minks out there, that they had only just discovered their existence.

So there was that hope, of great wealth, beyond the usual profit.
Spending half a year together in a relatively confined space changes the people in a group. At first each person believes they will not change. The military mindset that following orders up the chain of command is a higher priority than exercising the moral decisionmaking part of one’s own brain is especially impressed on the individuals, although almost everyone unconsciously concedes some moral judgment to a social, religious or political system of authority, and consequently many bad things are accepted in the course of due process.

The main defense against change was always isolation, segregation from other groups. But on the ship, military and corporate superiors had no authority to prevent fraternization, and secret missions with questionable motives would weigh heavily on each person.
The first came up in the bar after some serious drinking and fraternizing. Soldier A and Settler B were strongly attracted to each other. A told B he might be staying, a secret. B is excited, and tells Settler C who tells Artemis who tells the Captain who tells me. I confront the Colonel, who flatly denies it, but I can detect the lie. Unfortunately, when I mention to Dominique Angelique I can detect she already knows it but lies about it, too. I meet with the fur traders, and we decide to take more aggressive measures to get to the bottom of things. We bug a few areas and wait for something to come up. It does shortly.

The military has a secret order to establish a permanent outpost on the planet. The purpose is to support whatever corporate business that the legal government contracts for, and the deal is the Knights of the Round Table, in a simple majority vote, can create a binding public/private contract for up to 10 years with no out clause. This preserves the integrity of a public contract always being upheld and not breakable by further votes or laws.
There are seven knights, and the secret was four had been bribed and blackmailed by MasterMade a year ago. They were promised lives in a culture and society of lavish luxury. The unspoiled natural beauty of Camelot lacked the Hollywood and Broadway hobnobbing where material excessiveness mattered. Rich and Famous. We really didn’t have long term contracts with the planets, just a simple contract for the following year. No one else had the experience and trustworthiness. But this was a stacked deck, and we had to figure out a way to beat it. So we kept it a secret that we knew among ourselves as we went into warp drive. The warp time is over almost immediately. It takes a few seconds to get in it completely, and there is time to make a number of ship checks, perhaps eat a meal or have a couple drinks, go look out a window or at the 3-D simulated view screen, really wild. And just as quickly we slip back into sublight reality.

The moment we come out of warp we begin to receive broadcast signals from Camelot. We are still several light weeks away, so there is no instant reply, although we do send word of our impending arrival. As we slow down and get closer, the response lag is shortening. It will take us 6 months to arrive.
There is a lot of wireless internet broadcasting into space from every human inhabited planet. We could sift through it easily and tune into news or sports, tweets and blogs and facebooks and ebays. Days of Camelot was a daily talk show, touching on a lot of local news and events.
At an almost there dinner, I bring up the uncomfortable proof about the underhanded deal underway. Apparently it was need to know, so the military was shaken by the corruption I exposed.
Even some of the MasterMade group was visibly disturbed, and much to my surprise it was Dominique Angelique that literally passed out and collapsed on the deck, her nanomakeup fooled into going into sleep mode, all trace of color erased from her face and body.
Her father had set her up. She was to propose the legitimate deal, a fair deal but one that did not really outdo the fur traders deal, but a deal that if accepted, in her mind a long shot chance growing ever longer as she hung out with them casually, would put the fur traders out of business on Camelot. Hearing the cheating, even if technically not breaking any laws, splits her from the group.
She bites her tongue, however, as the group can hold an emergency meeting where a majority can change who is chief negotiator if there is some cause to suspect she will not follow through with the contract.
But the last show was very disturbing, very odd, referring to an infestation problem involving the minks in the outlying areas. But we should not worry as it will all be under control well before we arrive.

The next show says everything fine now. The next recants the last. People are being killed by giant minks. Everyone has taken refuge in the castle (yes!) , however, the creatures are swimming across the moat and scurrying up the walls like rats in a sewer, and would overrun the castle if people weren’t constantly knocking them down or killing them on the way up. So apparently it was a totally manual solution.

We saw the video. They were 15 feet long from head to tail. The tail was 4 feet. They were like hairy alligators who could climb castle walls. Their fur was amazing, and many dead minks were already floating in the moat. And we were now only a month to arrival. How many of these prize pelted beasts can there be? The answer came as daily news footage of the steadily increasing carnage at the moat, the haggard look of men and women on wall duty after a month onslaught. Every day was the same, the bodies now stacked 2 or 3 deep in spots and growing.

We were arriving in the morning. The Aquarius would stay in orbit and shuttles would land at the spaceport by the castle, or The Castle as they call it. Alas, there are a lot of ROUSs in between.

But once on the ground we were surrounded by the giant minks. Frankly, we didn’t have suitable weaponry for this attack.
Every eye was on the 10 soldiers. A corporal said it best. “Get real.”
He was right. They were no match for the stampede of buffalo sized beasts around us. Their guns were for humans, and not in such numbers.
So we brainstormed. And it was suggested we could perhaps make a high pitched sound or racket that would scare them or drive them away. And it was then suggested we could use the nanokerchiefs.

We had a large load of nanokerchiefs, which were handkerchiefs made from nanobot fabric. When flattened out, it automatically hardens and becomes a 1080p video screen. If laid over a paperback book, for instance, the flat part over the cover will harden and display a picture to that size, and by touching the edge the rest will stay soft and white like cotton cloth. And if laid together to form a large rectangle, it will continue to display as one picture up to a 9000p resolution. Also had built in super hi def audio capable of wireless surround sound. It was a hot item this year.

Theoretically, you could make those nanokerchiefs make a seriously loud noise if arranged properly. so in the cargo bay we assemble this giant 20’ x 40’ screen that is 10 layers deep with a precise airspace between each layer. We load up a mixer software with drums and effects, and then one electric guitar is plugged in, and the doors open with minks crawling on the lowering ramp, and this insane drum beat kicks in and then he starts to play, and it’s incredibly loud, it is shaking everything not tied down like an earthquake, sounding almost like a weird flute, and it is again deafeningly loud, and the mink don’t like it. After only a couple of minutes they start to back down, hiding in the woods. We are elated and decide to make an even larger speaker on the launch pad. We start unloading the nkchiefs, and realize we have enough to form a parabolic circle around the entire ship. This is 100 feet tall and 300 feet in diameter and 10 deep. The instruction goes out and the entire lot almost magically shape shift into the loudest speaker ever created. Using the guitar track just recorded, we start the mixer again, drums going crazy, and I play along from inside the ship, but we can still hear and feel the sound. The effect is miraculous, within minutes the vermin are hightailing it to beyond the horizon. We play for about 12 minutes and it’s all it takes.

We had warned the Knights, as they liked to be called, of our plan, so they had properly protected their ears. The walk to the castle was littered with carcasses, and already the locals were out skinning them. The moat was solid with dead mink, 10 feet deep by the wall,

So we stayed the night, leaving the sound set up just in case, but nothing further happened. We feasted on beast mink that, roasting it in big pits, ate it with pineapple the size of watermelon and strawberries big as your fist and drunk wine made from grapes bigger than grapefruits. This went on for several weeks as the skinning and tanning proceeded. We met a man and a woman, brother and sister, my guitarist buddy and I, and he decided to stay. After all, we were suddenly global celebrities, heroes even. I couldn’t blame him. But one of us had to fly the ship back, so it was me. I couldn’t expect her to want to come with me, although we’d be rich, at least not hurting if we watched our budget. But she surprised me, said she had always dreamed of being a pro tennis player, maybe winning Wimbledon, and I had seen her play. She really was talented.

The bad Knights were revealed by none other than Dominique Angelique and publicly shamed and legally and forcibly replaced before they had a chance to vote on the contract. Her demeanor was so noble, her misery so transparent over her father’s greedy and deceitful and cunning plans, she was invited to remain at Camelot and sit at the Table where deposed Sir Raymond once sat, next to also absent Sirs John, Paul and George. She graciously accepted. Thanks to some fast research on the local laws, they were able to use the authority of rule of law to their own advantage, outmaneuvering them in the chaos of the rampage.

No one ever learned what stimulated growth so much.
It has been suggested that when the colonists opted not to have any natural predators for the mink, its cash crop, and then added Alaskan salmon, it created some sort of unhindered food supply and no growth limits. But not everything increased so rapidly and significantly, so it must have had something to do with some combination of factors unique to the mink.
I tested myself for HGH and steroids on the ship but was negative. Nevertheless, I was over an inch bigger when I returned. And everyone has seen my wife, Guinevere, on the circuit. When it’s cool she always walks on the court in her mink coat.

The following year was good but merely normal. The giant mink were pretty stupid, and every so often they would invade the human territories. But we had recorded our performance, and it had become the biggest hit on the planet for a month setting an all-time record as everyone downloaded it. No really, everyone! I let my buddy keep those royalties, he deserved it.

Now if you visit that planet, everywhere you go every scroll is set to play that song every dawn and dusk, all twelve minutes of it, which has been enough to keep the giant minks at bay, sort of like a reverse Pied Piper situation.

Ah, you say, this is quite a tangled tale you weave. That’s why I always carry these pictures and videos on my nkchief. The historical records, so to speak. And then there’s the song, if you have 12 minutes. But the real tale is in the retelling, and even if sometimes embellished by colorful adverbs and adjectives and imagery, truth is invariably stranger than fiction, even when the real names are near forgotten.

And such are the many tales of the interstellar fur traders that you have heard repeated everywhere since childhood, and endless new ones as well, chronicling the human side of humanity spreading across the galaxy, inspiring us all to aspire to what is truly important no matter what planet you are on.
steban

Postby ingolee » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:59 am

So, are the tracks that you have for this text similar to what the first fur trader song was, basically band music playing with a spoken narration happening at the same time? My original post was suggesting that you develop musical tracks together with the narrative part so that they interact rather than write the two parts independently. This would force you to establish more of a musical relationship between the narration and the band parts. That would make a musical collaboration possible. Spoken word is fine, but it doesn't always suggest an appropriate musical accompaniment. It has to be written a certain way for that to work.

What you have posted is a novel, not a lyric work. I feel I could write and record a sound track and I would be happy to work with you on that, but I have no idea what to do with what you have shown me here. For a sound track I need a script that tells me where to insert music and generally what kind of music the author has in mind that will enhance the story. Can you do something like that?
ingolee

Postby Krispy » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:47 am

To save time, assume I know everything
Krispy

Postby HUD » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:14 pm

As I returned across the lands I'd known
I recognized the fields where I'd once played
I had to stop in my tracks for fear
Of walking on the mines I'd laid
HUD

Postby ingolee » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:26 am

ingolee

Postby ingolee » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:41 am

Attachments
Ambient1.mp3
(10.12 MiB) Downloaded 165 times
ingolee

Postby Krispy » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:36 am

Krispy

Postby Krispy » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:46 am

Krispy

Postby ingolee » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:45 pm

ingolee

Postby steban » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:23 pm

I just listened to Ambient1master, and it is very cool and lyrically/vocally inspiring, so much so I have to let it sink in properly, Ing, because I feel if I do, if I drift along with it, words will arrive that fit the soundtrack. I am sure you must be feeling that, too, Kim.

I don't have any other lyrics yet, but I have a story, and now I have this awesome melodious journey, and I'm thinking epic poem alternately spoken and sung.

Listened twice now, I'll try to get some other lyrical ideas roughed out next few days.

The tales of the interstellar fur traders is not a dramatic tale, more a historical summary in prose form. Mink Stolen is a dramatic story in outline form now.

I'm not sure what this will be when it is done!
steban

Postby cjdenecia » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:31 am

hud secretly wants to play cowbell.
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby steban » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:07 am

Who can we get over the pond who can talk like Rex Harrison? Ceej, you picked up an accent yet?

Mink Stolen, a Tale of the Interstellar Fur Traders

Every planet in the realm has got
its private claim to products sought
of quality and otherwise unobtainability
that manifests an insatiable desirability
and it is mink and ocelot
on the planet Camelot

Now Camelot is a mythical place
and a mystical name for a planet, it’s true
but committees of college educated dreamers
often are the ones who decide what to do
so what if the people chose to choose their king
to rule with his Knights of the Round Table
upholding honor, chivalry, fairness and freedom?
how can one complain if it works for them?

For a hundred years the Arthurians thrived
utterly boringly uneventfully
and every year prepared for when they arrived
the interstellar fur traders, as they came known to be
with pallets of beautiful pelts highly prized
until this time when there was one single mink fur
large enough to make a coat floor length sized

This is as far as I've gotten, but I have this idea of using the Camelot theme to get started, and at some point somebody breaks into song. I have this idea of a vocal part being the nanobugged recording of the bad guys spilling the beans with another part being the listener inners' reactions. This would be a tense moment in the soundtrack. It could be sung/spoken/both.

But I think the entire story could fit in Ingo's music.

I'd be happy with anyone's input as the song progresses, but especially Hud's. I hear tell he plays a mean cowbell. I can imagine some extra melodrama with some extra cowbell and possibly guitar and drums in the right spots.
steban

Postby ingolee » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:44 am

ingolee

Next

Return to iCollab