Recording solo/acoustic on 1/28

Got Questions? Get Answers.

Recording solo/acoustic on 1/28

Postby PopTodd » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:22 pm

So, it's just gonna be me and my acoustic guitar.
I'm thinking about just sitting down in front of a few mics and busting out and mixing the 8 or 9 songs in a single session. Cutting it completely live, with no (or bare minimum) overdubs.
I think that, with the format that I've chosen, it will bring out the intimacy inherent in that kind of recording. I know that it will be more difficult to get a perfect take, but that is maybe part of the point.

What do you all think about albums like this.
I'm thinking if stuff like Springsteen's Nebraska and Syd Barrett's The Madcap Laughs. Do you prefer the intimate imperfections of those records, or would you prefer to have better, more-perfect takes of the songs?

(For the record, I AM planning of maybe overdubbing a guitar solo on one song and maybe a vocal harmony on a couple others. Oh, no pun intended there.)
PopTodd

Re: Recording solo/acoustic on 1/28

Postby charvie » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:58 pm

PopTodd wrote:So, it's just gonna be me and my acoustic guitar.
I'm thinking about just sitting down in front of a few mics and busting out and mixing the 8 or 9 songs in a single session. Cutting it completely live, with no (or bare minimum) overdubs.
I think that, with the format that I've chosen, it will bring out the intimacy inherent in that kind of recording. I know that it will be more difficult to get a perfect take, but that is maybe part of the point.

What do you all think about albums like this.
I'm thinking if stuff like Springsteen's Nebraska and Syd Barrett's The Madcap Laughs. Do you prefer the intimate imperfections of those records, or would you prefer to have better, more-perfect takes of the songs?

(For the record, I AM planning of maybe overdubbing a guitar solo on one song and maybe a vocal harmony on a couple others. Oh, no pun intended there.)

I love the idea man, I can't wait to hear it.
Light a man a fire and he's warm for a night, set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life
charvie

Postby cjdenecia » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:52 am

it's really hard to say before hearing the work todd .... on the one hand, if the takes are excellent in the ways that touch the listener most and the human frailties are subtle and add personality - sure, one take honesty is pretty cool - usually. but glaring moments of crap can in fact ruin an otherwise intimate or energetic track.

I assume you wouldn't allow any glaring mistakes stand. so it might prove to be a very personalized effort.

don't get me wrong, I also really dig acoustic renditions where it's all completely perfect - no matter if it's been produced to accomplish it or not - but for that, the artist has to come across as genuine. and be the personality type for it ... just as the one take artist must seem like a good fit. and musicians who've performed their share of live gigs successfully should be right in there with the feel to do it. and that's you right?

but I think your question is rhetorical anyway, I think you're gonna do it even if everyone you ask says "don't do it".
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby PopTodd » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:03 pm

cjdenecia wrote:it's really hard to say before hearing the work todd .... on the one hand, if the takes are excellent in the ways that touch the listener most and the human frailties are subtle and add personality - sure, one take honesty is pretty cool - usually. but glaring moments of crap can in fact ruin an otherwise intimate or energetic track.

I assume you wouldn't allow any glaring mistakes stand. so it might prove to be a very personalized effort.

don't get me wrong, I also really dig acoustic renditions where it's all completely perfect - no matter if it's been produced to accomplish it or not - but for that, the artist has to come across as genuine. and be the personality type for it ... just as the one take artist must seem like a good fit. and musicians who've performed their share of live gigs successfully should be right in there with the feel to do it. and that's you right?

but I think your question is rhetorical anyway, I think you're gonna do it even if everyone you ask says "don't do it".

It's not a rhetorical question... yes I AM going to do a solo/acoustic disc.
What I am asking about it the thoughts about which you prefer... the pros and cons of the two approaches -- live or overdubbed. Which approach have you favored? Have you any experience with this? How did you approach it? What did you like and dislike about the way in which you recorded it -- live, or first guitar and then overdubbed vox?

But yeah, I am doing acoustic-only songs.

Thanks!
PopTodd

Postby jaymz » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:35 pm

Don't do it. It will sound bad.
Take that! Hatless!
jaymz

Postby HUD » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:40 pm

The one issue I'd have would be that the guitar and vocals would be bleeding across into each other;s channels, and not giving me the control over the individual tracks. I think it can still sound spontaneous while doing the parts separately.
As I returned across the lands I'd known
I recognized the fields where I'd once played
I had to stop in my tracks for fear
Of walking on the mines I'd laid
HUD

Postby cjdenecia » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:19 am

PopTodd wrote:
cjdenecia wrote:it's really hard to say before hearing the work todd .... on the one hand, if the takes are excellent in the ways that touch the listener most and the human frailties are subtle and add personality - sure, one take honesty is pretty cool - usually. but glaring moments of crap can in fact ruin an otherwise intimate or energetic track.

It's not a rhetorical question... yes I AM going to do a solo/acoustic disc.
What I am asking about it the thoughts about which you prefer... the pros and cons of the two approaches -- live or overdubbed. Which approach have you favored? Have you any experience with this? How did you approach it? What did you like and dislike about the way in which you recorded it -- live, or first guitar and then overdubbed vox?

But yeah, I am doing acoustic-only songs.

Thanks!

whoops ... replying to replies - I should work on paying attention ....

as hud currently says - unless you can isolate the vocals completely from the guitar, I would hate the lack of mix control. completely. one millisecond of overloaded input on either part could ruin the recording.

live can be cool, but only in a live setting. a studio, or a studio atmosphere, is not live - even with 6 or 10 people hanging to make it live.

I do have some experience at recording live and I really find it to be a massive struggle not worth the chance of catching a magical moment that probably can be recreated. or more importantly, repeated. frequencies cross over, and parts needing a slight tweak can easily change the entire dynamic of what in reality, should be a different track. simply the basic eq and compression, fx, noise gating, etc of guitar vs vocals can be so different and should be - combining them in a single stereo track will simply be a far more difficult nut to crack. and why? for the sake of saying it's "live"? what does that even matter to the average listener? notta. live recordings done right are not PA mixes, monitor mixes nor venue mixes. they are isolated mixes set for recording. unless you can do that - don't.

if there are massive differences in the song based on playing and singing vs playing then singing - just record the perfect scratch track with both on it and use that as your overdubbing guide. obviously, for that, drums or a click track might oughta be used. but like nearly everything under the sun, a great foundation will yield a better house. a shit guide will result in a shit recording.

and therefore, song. and performance.

my attitude has always been that multitracking (overdubbing) is honestly you, on your best day. and it's a pretty good bet that nobody wants to hear you at less than your best. including you.

what's worse than having to defend a performance - or recording? avoid it.
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby KJB » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:26 pm

To me, any song is only good if you express the emotions through your voice and the guitar or other instruments provide the backdrop. You have to paint me the whole picture so I find myself in another world. It doesn't matter if its live or overdubbed, the listener has to become a part of your creation.
KJB

Return to Recording