Plug Ins

Got Questions? Get Answers.

Plug Ins

Postby charvie » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:42 am

Has anyone tried any of the SSL or Universal audio plugins? if so, what do you think?
Light a man a fire and he's warm for a night, set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life
charvie

Re: Plug Ins

Postby jaymz » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:51 am

I use SSL channel for guitars occasionally. It's really tempermental but if you really want to dial in something, itll let you.

Ive stopped using it recently as I didn't need all the compression and what not, now I typically use the waves SSL EQ only.
Take that! Hatless!
jaymz

Postby charvie » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:00 am

Thanks man, i'm thinking about giving it a try, I love the pre's.
Light a man a fire and he's warm for a night, set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life
charvie

Postby jaymz » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:18 pm

Every one's opinion is different and it depends on what you are going for guitarwise, but I've found over the years that the primary problem with guitar is capturing the source. I know the old tried and true "throw a 57 on it" method, but in reality (at least for most big rock) you aren't going to capture the sound you want. You can probably recreate the sound through EQ, preamps, compression, etc.. but what a pita.

I think if you get your rig setup just right, make an investment in some kind of attenuating DI (like a loadbox, redbox, hotplate, etc) that has the cab sim you want, you will solve the majority of ones recording battles.

Going even further, if the miced method is preferred it seems imperative to invest in a good preamp. Focusrite makes some nice ones.

Some people prefer to do a mix of the above.

Then there is the direct from the amp model method.

The only thing I can say about this is the worse the model, the worse the reflection. Line 6 is particular terrible.

The new kid on the block is Digidesigns 11. I've heard the demo and wasn't impressed, but the concept is crazy awesome and I hope it gets better.

More info that anyone wanted, but...
Take that! Hatless!
jaymz

Postby charvie » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:27 am

I agree with alot of what you say, I have the line 6 stuff now, and it sounds like shit. I get some horrid string noise on high gain settings, and over all, for me it's about convenience with those things. My next project is going to be, solving the guitar tone problem. I've looked at some Matchless amps, Top Hat amps, and a variety of Marshalls, but the problem is that I live in a townhouse, and cranking it is not really an option. I demo'd the Digidesign Eleven last week, and I have to say that even though it's synthetic sounding, it sounds better than the line 6 stuff. It seemed to pickup alot more of the guitars overtones with less noise and more harmonic response. I'm struggling with what to do, maybe i'll get an older Marshall and an attenuator, and let it eat.
charvie

Postby Mark Kaufman » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:55 pm

I bought a used UAD-1 card for $100, and even just with the stock plugs it has seriously brought my sound to the next level. Count me in as a huge fan. Even the stripped down version of the 1176 is miles above plugs I was using like PSP Vintage Warmer. The Pultec EQ is killer as well. Well worth getting used on the cheap to see what it's all about...save your computer some processing power too.
Mark Kaufman

Postby charvie » Sun May 16, 2010 12:14 am

I got the SSL 4000 plugin pack today along with the Abbey Road Plugins and it is way cool! Abbey adds a ton of warmth to an acoustic. I'm still fooling with it and I don't really know alot about plugins, but it's gonna be cool to learn.
charvie

Postby Liquidirt » Tue May 18, 2010 5:50 am

I use the UA Bundle and it really brings the drums up front and in your face. For guitar, I just use the VG-88, straight into the recorder and it works well for what I do. Trying to find that sweet spot on an amp speaker is just hard for me for some reason. Much easier to go the VG-88 way.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer."
Liquidirt

Return to Recording