In Search of A Better/More REAL DAW - Help

Got Questions? Get Answers.

In Search of A Better/More REAL DAW - Help

Postby starman » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:01 pm

Man, talk about FRUSTRATING! I haven't been this frustrated since I first discovered Swedish Erotica prior to knowing what to... eh hem, remedied the stituation. I just spent 2 hours writing a very sincere post after coming here & signing in this morning, I pressed the review button, the board takes me to the *(&^&$$*(&$%%^^&*!!! login screen and I LOST the ^%##$^%&&^*((!!! post!! AAAAaggghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! :chainsaw:

whew! Now that I have that out of my system, here's the condensed version cause I sure as heck ain't going through all that again. :bang:

Been using the same cross platform DAW company for about 4 years now. Purchased the last 4 generations of their product from them. They have got too big too quick and their software has become unstable to say the very least. Every time a new upgrade chapter is released within the same version/generation of the software, old bugs go away and new ones take their place. This company has started to HEAVILY force beta testing on their paying customers instead of waiting and releasing their new versions. All in all, it really SUCKS.

I used to PRAISE this company but they have just become ridiculous with respect to marching forward in reverse.

My question to all DAW users here is simple. I am certainly not going to ask which sounds better because, although I am but a humble musician, I know enough to stay away from that one. My question is which company has stayed REAL with respect to not releasing DAW generation versions prior to them being stable? Using the customer as a guinea pig is simply not ethical IMO. I am looking for stability and an intuitive learning curve. Honestly, I am very good musician, but I am certainly no scientist. I don't want to have to possess an advanced 5th dimensional mathematics course to navigate and use the thing.

I will be using this DAW to record multi track improvisation into. I'm a PC user with a more than adequate computer. It's not got twin i7s, but it'll do the trick with respect process and memory any day of the week. This DAW will be hosting NI synths a plenty and Stylus RMX/BFD and whatever else I can find in me pantry to throw into the mix.

Thanks!
starman

Re: In Search of A Better/More REAL DAW - Help

Postby Stevo » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:34 pm

I've been a loyal SONAR user for over a decade (since Cakewalk 2.0 I think), and have never felt like a version was released prematurely. However I have not bought every version that's come out. I usually skip a couple here and there when I'm perfectly happy with my current version and whatever new stuff is in the latest version doesn't interest me enough to pay for it.

Am on SONAR 7 Producer now and am very happy with it.
If they ever come up with a swashbuckling school, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, Then Jumping Off Something.
Stevo

Postby Steve Soucy » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:04 pm

Logic on a Mac is very stable. I use ver 7, they're up to 9 now. I know... you're on a PC.

I think Cubase is very stable as is Performer.

There is a great forum called Gearslutz.com for learning lots of stuff like this, if you don't know about it.
the Sue and Steve Show

When a train goes through a tunnel and it gets dark, you don't throw away the ticket and jump off. You sit still and trust the engineer.

~ Corrie Ten Boom
Steve Soucy

Postby Daniel Eboli » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:49 pm

You want a multitrack software or hardware.

Because it seems to me that you are talking about hardware.

Am I right?
Daniel Eboli

Postby jaymz » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:37 pm

he was too evasive about naming exactly what he was talking about, so who knows!
Take that! Hatless!
jaymz

Postby Jay » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:05 am

starman wrote:My question is which company has stayed REAL with respect to not releasing DAW generation versions prior to them being stable?

SAWStudio. You'll probably never use it, but it is the most stable audio app I've ever used. Problem is that it's windows-only and (yet) doesn't adhere to many windows conventions. Learning curve is steep if you wanna get into sophisticated editing. But the results are fantastic, and it's stability is unparalleled. Also, bug fixes happen very fast -- sometimes within hours of being reported!
Prunes!
Jay

Postby zxyz » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:03 am

Adobe Audition 2.0 is very stable, and no bugs. I've been using it for years. (It only works on win xp, tho, as far as I know)
zxyz

Location: Way out there somewhere ... maybe a parallel universe or something somewhat similar ..

Postby starman » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:55 pm

Hi guys
Sorry about not being clearer and also for the delay in follow up. As mentioned in my last post in some other section of the forum, I was dealing with the eradication of a virus on my work computer.

Naturally I am referring to computer based recording software. I'm not sure how the issue could be confused with "hardware", but I apologize for my lack of clarity nonetheless. The reason I didn't mention the specific DAW manufacture themselves is to keep this from appearing to be another "bash fest".

Just so's you's knows (Brooklyn accent) the company is Ableton. The product is Live. Just a complete and total joke anymore.

It's pretty much come down to one of several choices. This could change as time goes on, but I doubt it.

Either Cubase 5, Samplitude 11pro (most likely going to be the way I fly) or Digital Performer 7.

That SAWstudio sounds interesting, but not too intuitive from what is described.
starman

Postby pharquartt » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:38 am

if it means anything at all, i'm a novice at this stuff, but i like Sonar. I use version 7 but plan to update it. it works fine for me. granted, i don't know how half the stuff works yet, but for basic operation, i don't have any real snags.

i strip the basic operating system of all the background tasks and that's about it. i have pretty low latency in any program and can record digital or audio without any glitches. other than those caused by me.

maybe when i get into the "higher" functions, thinks will tank, but for now, no real problems. (XP Pro, stock but extra memory pc, pro audio card, relatively cheap setup)
now is the infinite opposite
pharquartt
Site Admin

Postby Jay » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:33 am

starman wrote:That SAWstudio sounds interesting, but not too intuitive from what is described.

Definitely not intuitive. But if you're like me and your highest concerns are sound quality, stability, performance, and incredibly responsive tech support (the developer posts in the forums virtually every day), it's a no-brainer.

Something worthy of note is that the audio engine uses integer rather than floating-point math which results in fewer rounding errors and, hence, less distortion, i.e., things sound more like you want :). This is particularly noticeable in the low frequencies where rounding errors are more apparent. When I first demoed the software, I was struck by how warm and natural the lows were without me having to EQ the hell out of 'em.

Anyway, here's a link if you're interested. If you've got time, check out the video tutorials which helped me immensely.
Prunes!
Jay

Postby starman » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:32 pm

^^^wow! That's a STRONG testimonial. Only someone closed minded would not at least check into that software. I'm going to check it out. Thanks!
starman

Postby cjdenecia » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:24 am

starman wrote:^^^wow! That's a STRONG testimonial. Only someone closed minded would not at least check into that software. I'm going to check it out. Thanks!

I checked it out. a lot above my head .... that's a lot of dosh for people not making any money at this gig tho. I'm gonna guess few KIA drivers or miller drinkers will be jumping in headlong.
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby Jay » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:42 am

cjd wrote:
starman wrote:^^^wow! That's a STRONG testimonial. Only someone closed minded would not at least check into that software. I'm going to check it out. Thanks!

I checked it out. a lot above my head .... that's a lot of dosh for people not making any money at this gig tho. I'm gonna guess few KIA drivers or miller drinkers will be jumping in headlong.

I drive a Kia! Well, my wife does mostly.

Yeah, it ain't cheap, but the entry-level version is only $300. And it should be noted that SS offers something for the more expensive versions called The Good Faith Payment Plan which has no parallel in the DAW industry, AFAIK. $200 down, then $100/month interest-free -- with no credit application. Pretty effin' cool.
Prunes!
Jay

Postby Krispy » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:09 am

Jay wrote:Yeah, it ain't cheap, but the entry-level version is only $300. And it should be noted that SS offers something for the more expensive versions called The Good Faith Payment Plan which has no parallel in the DAW industry, AFAIK. $200 down, then $100/month interest-free -- with no credit application. Pretty effin' cool.

You have shares in the company, don't you?
To save time, assume I know everything
Krispy

Postby jaymz » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:21 am

I think you said you were using ableton.. which if so, would make sense why you are frustrated. It's really meant as a live app daw, hence the name 'live'.

Unless you are using your daw in a live setting, then i'm the one confused.

Anyhow, Sonar and Cubase are both worthy. Sonar is probably less of a learning curve, Cubase is quite powerful, but it's not intuitive.

Apple users love Logic.
Take that! Hatless!
jaymz

Next

Return to Recording