How would you set your PANscape?

Got Questions? Get Answers.

How would you set your PANscape?

Postby HUD » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:33 pm

You've got
lead voc
doubled 2 part b/u vox (4 tracks)
piano - recorded with wide spread along the range of keyboard (narrow it to mono?)
2 elec guitars clean & chunky, switching high & low ranges
bass
drums
As I returned across the lands I'd known
I recognized the fields where I'd once played
I had to stop in my tracks for fear
Of walking on the mines I'd laid
HUD

Re: How would you set your PANscape?

Postby zxyz » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:24 am

I definitely wouldn't narrow the piano to mono. Close, maybe, but not strictly mono.
The rest depends on the particular song, methinks.
zxyz

Location: Way out there somewhere ... maybe a parallel universe or something somewhat similar ..

Postby cjdenecia » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:35 am

HUD wrote:You've got
lead voc - center
doubled 2 part b/u vox (4 tracks)- varies dependent on perceived volumes but probably part A1: -100, part A2: +50, part B1: +100, part B2: -50 .... but I might be tempted to time delay the hard pans (A1, B1) by nano to milli seconds behind.
piano - recorded with wide spread along the range of keyboard (narrow it to mono?) -as is. but with volume envelopes here and there to accentuate or smooth down ...
2 elec guitars clean & chunky, switching high & low ranges probably at -25, +25 or maybe 33's
bass - center
drums - center (as long as it's a well placed stereo drum mix)

tho I could easily change that up to guitars at -50, +50 and place the A2, B2 vox at -25, +25 if the piano was hogging the frequency in the middle.
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby mistertroll » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:52 am

Okay, now I have headache.

One if these days, about twenty years from now, I'll read this thread, and go "Oh, yeah!".

But not tonight...
Keep your booger hook off the bang switch and nobody gets hurt.

mistertroll

Postby zxyz » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:20 am

Yeah,troll. I gotta headache after reading cj's post too.
My input is Drums spanned at -150/75,guitars at 5000:1 the Q set at - 2/675, the bass at 450, and the parametric quantum flux capacitor set at time dimension OO.-985/parsecs times the cross-dimesional width of the stereo spectrum. How's that?
zxyz

Location: Way out there somewhere ... maybe a parallel universe or something somewhat similar ..

Postby mistertroll » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:30 am

zxyz wrote:Yeah,troll. I gotta headache after reading cj's post too.
My input is Drums spanned at -150/75,guitars at 5000:1 the Q set at - 2/675, the bass at 450, and the parametric quantum flux capacitor set at time dimension OO.-985/parsecs times the cross-dimesional width of the stereo spectrum. How's that?

God, I'm glad I have a big bottle of Advil on my desk...

And the vodka...

:beer: :beer: :beer:
Keep your booger hook off the bang switch and nobody gets hurt.

mistertroll

Postby zxyz » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:37 am

Cheers!! I'm there too!
zxyz

Postby Jay » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:54 am

Hud, you (Bish) of all people should know... the devil's in the details.

Post a sample of your track, and then I'll let you know how I'd set my PANscape, for whatever that's worth.
Prunes!
Jay

Postby shankarji » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:09 am

I always imagine the band on stage and then set the pan accordingly...apart from having the lead vox and bass central with the drums panned across the stereo field.
A guy at work bought a car out of the paper. Ten years later, Bam! Herpes.Peter Griffin
shankarji

Postby HUD » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:17 pm

Post a sample of your track, and then I'll let you know how I'd set my PANscape, for whatever that's worth.

I was actually intending this less regarding a specific project and more just discussing one's approach, philosophy -but this is a fairly common array of parts for myself. My current project will probably only have mostly one guitar, but for the sake of this discussion, I thought I'd make it two to complicate things.
http://www.audiorefugees.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1238 "Perfect Love" matches the parts list above, and the review thread has a couple mixes...and in fact, I thought that narrowing the piano did allow for more room for other parts, as well as providing it better focus.
Troll: pretty straight forward stuff, what cj outlined. If center is -0-, -100 & 100 are 100% left & right.
Lots more to discuss..back at lunchtime.
HUD

Postby cjdenecia » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:59 pm

btw - regarding -100, +100 settings ... for example with vox, if set this way but with sidechained fx - such as verb laid on - there is still some trace of the track on the weak side. at least when using busses and fx on the buss ...
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby HUD » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:51 pm

cjd wrote:
HUD wrote:You've got
lead voc - center
yep
doubled 2 part b/u vox (4 tracks)- varies dependent on perceived volumes but probably part A1: -100, part A2: +50, part B1: +100, part B2: -50 .... but I might be tempted to time delay the hard pans (A1, B1) by nano to milli seconds behind.
I would do the 100's & 50's on a sparse mix (if I ever do a sparse mix!), but of late I'm more inclined to hard pan so each doubled part is opposite its counterpart...thereby leaving more open space for everything else, most of which doesn't want that hard pan place where it would sound as from the next room. I would only do the delays if I were cloning a single track to opposite sides, since two separate takes will naturally provide their miniscule time variations for the stereo depth you're after. Could maybe clone part A2 over to A1's side at 50% with that delay (or just use the "chorus" FX anyone??)

piano - recorded with wide spread along the range of keyboard (narrow it to mono?) -as is. but with volume envelopes here and there to accentuate or smooth down ...
This is definitely where the "what type of song- what kinda playing - what range?" questions play a major part I'd say, but I find that guitars & pianos don't like to be close any more than do a couple guitars (usually-a closely harmonizing duel lead might want to be together)...the clean guitar with its sharper attack would be the one I'd place further from the keys which I'd stereo-span from maybe 15 to 30-ish

2 elec guitars clean & chunky, switching high & low ranges probably at -25, +25 or maybe 33's
bass - center
so if my piano's at 15 to 30, I guess I'd put that clean guit over around -30...the main chunk guitar might be around 60, but I would probably put a delayed reduced volume clone of him somewhere most of the way over on the other side, which would keep our decibals balanced as well as having that guitar's sustain not all off to one side

drums - center (as long as it's a well placed stereo drum mix)
pretty standard since the 70's for the bass & drums. Was listening to some Cream this morning, with bass & drums off to the sides...I guess when they didn't want to bounce tracks that's whatcha got

tho I could easily change that up to guitars at -50, +50 and place the A2, B2 vox at -25, +25 if the piano was hogging the frequency in the middle.

yeah, that stuff's all subject to change at a moment's notice, for sure.

btw - regarding -100, +100 settings ... for example with vox, if set this way but with sidechained fx - such as verb laid on - there is still some trace of the track on the weak side. at least when using busses and fx on the buss ...

I never do the bus, gus...Haven't taken the time to figure that shit out on Sonar. So I clone tracks upon which I pile the FX or verb and fade'em in & out for off & on, also for volume changes... Like if the guitar goes from rhythm to fill, I might have the main track panned to 50, then a copy track at 30% volume, panned at -10 with the fill segments fade in, so it sounds like the guitar's being dialed up & toward center. Maybe like 'ji's stage visual where the guitarist walks a few steps over.
HUD

Return to Recording