Cubase 5 for recording and mixing.
Sound Forge 9 for mastering with a host of plugins
My mixer is a Tascam DM 24 connected to a MOTU 2408 mkiii via tdif

and a bunch of other junk.
Take that! Hatless!
jaymz

Re: What multi-tracker do you use?

Postby charvie » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:33 pm

I am currently using Pro Tools 7.4 with an M-Audio Mbox2 interface into a monster computer built for pro tools by Sweetwater. I don't know how to do much on it other than basic track laying and a little EQing, but I have a new found passion for learning this thing, and I'm gonna do it.
Light a man a fire and he's warm for a night, set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life
charvie

Postby jaymz » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:39 pm

Interestingly Enough (for you modern metal folk out there) this guy used nothing more than protools, a mesa head into a load box, some drums with samples and a blue bluebird $300 mic..

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/attachments/work-progress-advice-requested-show-tell-artist-showcase-mix-offs/153702d1263790560-modern-rock-mix-breaking-benjamin-disturbed-three-days-grace-style-opinions-secret.mp3

Not bad... just a little know how and not much equipment done a boy good.
Take that! Hatless!
jaymz

Postby charvie » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:59 pm

That's pretty impressive, that's what I want to learn how to do.
Light a man a fire and he's warm for a night, set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life
charvie

Postby cjdenecia » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:40 am

it's a big sound for sure ..... and quite impressive regarding many aspects but to be sure - it washes often. supersaturation. but mostly just cus the vox fall into the mix and the guitars are ever so slightly too big a wall. what's most impressive is the drums cut prog-like and the bass booms through but doesn't rumble.

but the guitars do lose definition in the chorus. regain it well on the riffs following tho ...

and of course, it's totally square-waved. you like that dontcha jaymz ...

good song tho. formula metal circa just a few minutes back but quite cool ...

but I'd be so lucky to get close to this on the bottom and top. and the compression is great on individual parts even tho the whole mix is just too hot to be a prize.

the guy is likely pretty happening with his setup. I'd like to hear it comp'd about 2/3 that much to find some dynamics. (which would likely still be square wave)
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby zxyz » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:16 am

jaymz wrote:Interestingly Enough (for you modern metal folk out there) this guy used nothing more than protools, a mesa head into a load box, some drums with samples and a blue bluebird $300 mic..

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/attachments/work-progress-advice-requested-show-tell-artist-showcase-mix-offs/153702d1263790560-modern-rock-mix-breaking-benjamin-disturbed-three-days-grace-style-opinions-secret.mp3

That is pretty friggin' awesome sounding!
zxyz

Location: Way out there somewhere ... maybe a parallel universe or something somewhat similar ..

Postby pharquartt » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:53 am

jaymz wrote:Interestingly Enough (for you modern metal folk out there) this guy used nothing more than protools, a mesa head into a load box, some drums with samples and a blue bluebird $300 mic..

yes, jamyz, fairly minimum setup. but i wouldn't call ProTools "not much" equipment. a bit pricey, but.....
now is the infinite opposite
pharquartt
Site Admin

Postby jaymz » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:12 am

Im shocked no one is using Reaper here. I probably would try it if I didn't have so much already invested in cubase.

http://reaper.fm/

After all, if you click the about icon, it clearly says "Refugees Welcome" :)
Take that! Hatless!
jaymz

Postby Liquidirt » Sat May 01, 2010 4:15 am

I use Roland VS2000CD, now they have paired up with Cakewalk and came out with Sonar V Studio 700 that I am looking into. Pro Tools is probably the best Computer biased recording gear, but I get a pretty good job down with the Roland VS with the help of some UA 1176LN and UA LA2A compressor plug ins.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer."
Liquidirt

Previous

Return to Recording